• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
I don't know if this is provisional or what but since you guys are speculating about GOTY coverage, it *does* say the following on the QL voting page, just fyi:

These new Quick Looks will appear during our five days of Game of the Year coverage, slated to kick off on December 26.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Drew will have forgotten so much. He may as well start over when he resumes.

Drew will have forgotten so much. He may as well start over when he resumes.

xYdG5IJ.gif

popo

We are not getting any more Metal Gear Scanlon videos this year, are we ?

Depends on how ambitious their goty videos are. They have one extra week and one extra producer to work with this year, so don't expect it to go down to the wire like it usually does.

Bacon

The justification of disliking jeff because of him not liking driveclub is the most baffling to me. Never realized people had such strong opinions about that game.

The justification of disliking jeff because of him not liking driveclub is the most baffling to me. Never realized people had such strong opinions about that game.

people need to validate their purchases, so falling for the hype machine, getting super into a game that hasn't been released, then having someone tell you that this game you have hyped yourself for isn't as good as you want it to be, well, some people don't like being told that they might be wrong about something.

they really should read the reviews and see if it resonates with them in any way, but that would require a bit more critical thinking and introspection than looking at 8.8 or 2 stars and then vomiting compulsively over their keyboards until they feel better. I've found myself disagreeing with jeff's view on a game or two before, but that doesn't give me the right to hurl insults or disparage his writing because it doesn't gel with my opinion and views on the same thing. It just means that we don't see eye to eye on everything things, which is perfectly normal really.

In the end, it's an honest opinion from someone whose tastes i know and who has done - and continues to do - an excellent job expressing why he does or doesn't like something and articulates those points well enough that i can see why he came to the conclusions that he has. It's more than i can say for a majority of people in that thread.

hamchan

Nonsense. People care about multi-platform racers just as much! If there was a multi-platform racer releasing this week you just know it would be getting an equal amount of attention and passion.

Not owning an Xbox One, I feel like I'm missing a big open world racer. If only some 3rd party would release such a game this week, but alas, it's not to be.

Ketch

That vote for Jeff thread is a gold mine. I've never felt so many different emotions while reading GAF before.

It's really hard to put myself in the shoes of a Jeff detractor. People need to put more effort into doing some actual critical thinking about the games industry.

Gaming for me is a religion.

Not owning an Xbox One, I feel like I'm missing a big open world racer. If only some 3rd party would release such a game this week, but alas, it's not to be.

EA really blew it, this was the perfect chance to capitalize on the open-world-racer market. Now, it'll be at least a year before we get a new one of those : /

Corgi

Banned
I imagine a bunch of MGScanlon being recorded and released throughout the holidays.

hope there is a break though. quite hard to keep up watching and playing MGS2 now that i have work :S

Risible

Holy shit. I know it's opinion and all, but those are some wrong-ass opinions right there. How on earth anyone can hate Jeff Gerstmann is beyond me. Sure he's cynical, but if I had to deal with fucktards like those in that thread daily I'd be beyond cynical and would have moved in to the homicidal category by now.

Seriously, thank God for GB, if they ever close up shop gaming will be worse for it.

hamchan

Dan and Drew should just marathon MGS2 in a couple of days and then cut it all up. Then we'll be ready for MGS3 in the new year.

daydream

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they do. At least I think they will highlight the trend of broken games more than just pointing it out in the "Worst Trend" category.

The "Too Late To Check Yourself Because You Already Riggety-Wrecked Yourself" category.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
that locked thread was hilarious. People really get hurt feelings about the games they enjoy.

popo

That thread was pretty mild. If you post a thread on gaf or any forum that says "this person is great" or "vote for this person" then a percentage of people are going to reply just to say that they don't like them.

So you got a few people saying he is jaded old man - people have said the same in here. Some fanboys used it as a soapbox and one guy got silly and compared Jeff to Hitler Geis.

MG310

If they won't vote for him because he's jaded about gaming maybe they'll vote for him because he is goddamn excited about Prime Rib.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean, if I didn't visit Giant Bomb regularly and listen to/watch the content of Jeff's that wasn't game reviews, I'd probably think people were insane for wanting him to win an award for anything other than "Most inexplicable crazy wrong opinions on games"

Zabant

I mean, if I didn't visit Giant Bomb regularly and listen to/watch the content of Jeff's that wasn't game reviews, I'd probably think people were insane for wanting him to win an award for anything other than "Most inexplicable crazy wrong opinions on games"

Syndicate was totally game of the year and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
A-mazed at the near-irrational reasoning behind dat Gerstmann hate. Suspecting that those lads were scared by his 8.8 score back in the day. Or don't like his kind of humour. Admittedly Jeff does sometimes say subjective things as if it is definitive, e.g. Anime are for jerks. Albeit, lol.

He doesn't like a lot of popular franchises and really hated DriveClub and doesn't really care about Nintendo anymore.
That's enough for a lot of people.

Scizzy

Guys, I'm feeling really down right now. I listened to the first half hour of this week's Bombcast on my commute to work and it was the saddest thing ever.

I'd imagined that Small Business Man had left SF and gone on to greater and greater things. That he was a master of Square Space and never went to the post office like a sucker. To hear that he's back at square one . . . man, I just don't know anymore.

While Jeff being nominated for "Most Trending Gamer" is pretty funny, him being in the "ESports Player Of The Year" category would be way funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom