• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giantbomb Community Endurance Run V - Now With Cookies!

The Giantbomb Community Endurance Run is BACK to fill the gaping Endurance Run-shaped hole in your life! The Community Endurance Run is going to kick off after Unprofessional Fridays on April the 10th and run through Sunday April 12th.

Directly After Unprofessional Fridays:
We are throwing a Magic the Gathering Friday Night Magic with the GB community! Hosted by @thatpinguino, @rothgar, @bollard, @corevi, and judged by @descends. Vote on the format of the first GBCER FNM here! Sign up for the event here!
@amlabella, @vash10, and @jeffrud are going to be playing a JRPG of some kind, but they don't know which. Vote on our JRPG Endurance Run here! Suikoden II or Chrono Cross? You decide!

After the GBCER FNM:
GB FNM Standard Royal Rumble! There is a championship belt on the line and the last person standing will be the champion. All challengers welcome! Who will be able to defeat the monster that is @rorie? Who!?

After Unprofessional Fridays
- 2AM: Resident Evil 4 with @nickieroonie!
7PM - ?: INTERVIEW WITH GREG KASAVIN OF SUPERGIANT GAMES (FORMERLY OF EA AND GAMESPOT) by @thatpinguino!!!

Saturday:
8AM - ?: LA Noir + All DLC Endurance Run with @zolloz89!
9AM - 11PM: Final Fantasy IX And Shadow of the Colossus Shrine Climb Speed Run Race with @thatpinguino, @rothgar, @descends, and more!
10AM - 7PM: Resident Evil 5 co-op with @the_boots and @lochnessie82!
11AM - 10PM: Finishing up RE4 and playing Alan Wake with @nickieroonie!
10PM - 12AM: Super Feet Boy with @nickieroonie! @nickieroonie will play Super Meat Boy with his feet if we raise $1500 by the time this event rolls around on the schedule!

Sunday:
10AM - 11AM: Chocobo Racing campaign speed run and other dumb Chocobo Racing stuff!
11AM - 3PM: South Park: The Stick of Truth speed run!
1PM - 2PM: Interview of Dylan Barry/RAILSLAVEGAMES (developer of //SNOWFLAKE TATTOO// and Selfie: Sisters of the Amniotic Lens) by @blzzzrrttt!

I think I might join in too. Maybe with a...mech thing...

8450103.gif

Be a Cool and Spread It Around - #GBCER5

Dizzy-4U

Scrub league only worked because they were in an office with a bunch of other people comfortable with being on camera who weren't covering video games.

You can't really call any of the GB or Gamespot staff "scrubs".

But I will say that UPF is starting to kind of have that TNT towards the end feeling to it, where it appears to be more of an obligation than something the guys enjoy doing.
I don't see the issue with the name honestly. It was basically a tournament with people who mostly didn't know how to play. It didn't matter if they were behind the camera or not.

A once a month scrub league could be pretty cool. Get a 2vs2 Lethal League, Speedrunners, Tekken Tag, or some wrestling crap. It should be fun to watch regardless of the game. Specially if there is money involved (like the glorious Warlords matches).

Or a 2vs2vs2vs2vs2 Saturn Bomberman. Man, that would be so good. GB Vs Gamespot. I like to dream.

Flandy

Has Drew gotten any better at MGS 3? The last episode I watched was 4 because I just couldn't stand to watch Drew play any longer. I don't even care if he's horrible at the game as long as he enjoys himself but watching him slog his way through the game while blaming it for his mistakes was just infuriating.

Has Drew gotten any better at MGS 3? The last episode I watched was 4 because I just couldn't stand to watch Drew play any longer. I don't even care if he's horrible at the game as long as he enjoys himself but watching him slog his way through the game while blaming it for his mistakes was just infuriating.
I'm two episodes behind but all I'll say is...yes.

yes but there are still times where he totally has a brain fart about things.

but he's definitely better now.

Seventy70

I have a feeling that if Drew watched someone who knows what they're doing play Metal Gear, he would understand how to play it. I was the same way until I watched someone playing MGS 2 on YouTube. Then, it finally clicked with me.

tchocky

Since he has learned it is best to tranq guards he has got much better at clearing areas without setting off alarms. He is thinking about boss fights more now. If he has to dress up as a scientist only bad things will happen.

Fjordson

I still like UPF a lot. It's kinda lowkey most of the time, but that works for me (I'm usually tired as hell waiting for work to end when I watch it anyway).

I think the low-key thing has more to do with Jeff's hosting style. If you go back to old live shows or bombcasts hosted by Ryan he was almost always in high-energy host mode. Jeff's style is much more subtle and casual. Neither is inherently better but nowadays when the games aren't clicking it can make the whole thing feel sleepy.

- J - D -

UPFs were better when there were Thursday Night Throwdowns preceding them the previous day, as an aperitif. They complimented and contrasted each other (a large part thanks to Ryan). I've never been one to to jump on the "GB has gone downhill since blah blah blah blah" wagon. They just need the right games on UPF and then it's magical again.

Tucah

you speak so well
UPF is fine. It has its lows but it has enough solid segments that I'll keep watching. I wouldn't mind if it got replaced by another show though.

It kind of bums me out to hear that some people aren't enjoying UPF. I think the last couple of months especially have been pretty great.

I really like the old games show as well, because playing old games is one of the only times we really get to see Jeff having a lot of fun.

I think UPF has needed reworking for quite a while now but it was still at least entertaining with Vinny and his games. Its just a background video for me now while I do other stuff.

I think I preferred it when they used it to play games that didn't have time to elsewhere like when Vinny kept playing Castlevania or just like when Ryan had an urge to play A Dogs Life.

Yeah, this right here is what I've been missing from UPF. Now it often feels like they just pick weird, one-off games for UPF.

Also, Jeff needs another book adaptation of a 90s movie to read every week on the show.

KingKong

I mean they have a ton of crap people sent in to them, just mess with that. It doesnt have to be everyone taking turns playing their game for 30 minutes

Maybe this is the film degree talking but my issue with UPF (and some other live stuff) is the screen set up. Let's say Jeff is on the left side of the screen looking to his right talking to someone who is on the right side of the screen looking to their left. I understand it's hard to frame all this up with a video of a game in the mix. Maybe the host chair on the left side of the screen would solve this.

Fjordson

It kind of bums me out to hear that some people aren't enjoying UPF. I think the last couple of months especially have been pretty great.

I really like the old games show as well, because playing old games is one of the only times we really get to see Jeff having a lot of fun.
Agreed. Hope they do more of the old games stuff.

Relaxed Jeff + guests playing older games on camera is really all I need. Makes for a great watch when I have downtime at work.

edit: only bad thing in the old games show was Brad dissing Final Fantasy IX.

tchocky

Wrestlemania Powerbombcast is up

Nice. That must have cost quite a lot.

$2000

I believe it is this package he got.

Platinum Package
Prices starting at $1,650
All seat, row and sections assigned on a first-come, first-served basis by travel package tier. Preference of section for WrestleMania 31 ticket will be solicited after purchase while supplies last.

* WrestleMania 31 Ticket - Entrance Ramp or Premium Central Floor Riser Seating
* Attend Two General Admission Sessions at WrestleMania Axxess
* WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Ticket - Premium 100 Level Seating
* Monday Night Raw Ticket - Premium 100 Level Seating
* Round-Trip Rail Transportation to WrestleMania 31
* WrestleMania 31 Dine-Around Card for various restaurants in the San Jose area
* Hotel Accommodations in the San Jose area

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...-the-travel-packages-for-wwe-wrestlemania-31/

$2000

Platinum Package
All seat, row and sections assigned on a first-come, first-served basis by travel package tier. Preference of section for WrestleMania 31 ticket will be solicited after purchase while supplies last.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...-the-travel-packages-for-wwe-wrestlemania-31/

Hey if that's what he truly loves, then more power to him. Hopefully he has fun.

- J - D -

$2000

Platinum Package

$2000 doesn't sound that bad with hotels and food included for the weekend and monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom