• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Veilguard New Details

darthkarki

I do feel for long time Dragon Age fans that the series never quite landed on a particular visual or gameplay style. If you were super into DA:O, I can imagine the constant shifts would be upsetting.

But as a non-fan, I have to say, this looks fricking awesome. The graphics are incredible, the artstyle is gorgeous - it seriously looks like an animated movie. The combat is looking 1000% more fun (to me, to my particular tastes) than any of the past games. I love that even Mark Darrah said the best the previous games could do combat-wise was "...it's OK" - this time it's actually fun. I love that it's going to be more linear with more bespoke locations instead of a boring open world.

Character/story wise, I'm sure it'll have just as much wokism as everything else these days, but.. that's kinda my point - it's everything. It's not unique here. It's annoying, but hopefully there will be enough good to look past it. Maybe not. We'll see.

Honestly I don't understand the negativity. Again, I get for fans it might be too much of a shift for you - but surely you can look with some amount of objectivity on the quality of this game by itself to appreciate what it is?

Also - can everyone please take a moment to examine themselves and the hypocrisy of celebrating the character creator in Cyberpunk and Baldur's Gate, but when Veilguard gives you the exact same options, it's somehow an unspeakable travesty? Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb too. But I also think it's dumb in those other games. Why is it only bad here? It feels like one of these:

1339555000701_7469619.png

Last edited:

RavageX

Also - can everyone please take a moment to examine themselves and the hypocrisy of celebrating the character creator in Cyberpunk and Baldur's Gate, but when Veilguard gives you the exact same options, it's somehow an unspeakable travesty? Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb too. But I also think it's dumb in those other games.
Neither of those games got a pass from me either. I felt Cyberpunk was especially useless since it was first person.

Baldurs gate I could at least see my player and all that good stuff, but I STILL felt the creation could have been better. Felt stiff to me.

The rest of the game made up for it, though it did bug out on me (often in funny ways).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Meh subtle western woke stereotypes , always the eastern looking femme being the nerdy studious ones
Nah I think it’s kind of a trope to have some “lovable” nerdy girl who geeks out over stereotypically male stuff. See also: Parvati from Outer Worlds, Dagna from DA: Inquisition (the dwarf lady in the Skyhold research room), I think Mass Effect had a character like this too (Gabriella I think? and maybe Tali too)

Shut0wen

Banned
I'm one of those DA fans that claims nothing will be as good as Origins. I'll always hold the games to that standard & sadly future DAs never meet it, also for some reason I'm a little less excited for this game compared to mine for Inquisition. Not 100% sure why either. Think I might wait for this to come to EA Play.
Yeah im the same, just have 0 hype, doesnt really look like dragon age either, dont really care for how woke the game is because bioware has been woke since the first ME but 100% miss the dark fantasy aspect, 2nd game looked like a shit conan and the one after that was just to colourful

Cyberpunkd

Some of you are so fucking insecure. If you don't care about that pronoun shit, just ignore it. No one is forcing you to play purple they/them.
In my opinion, game looks interesting enough to give it a try.
Why is this even a feature? What minuscule percentage of gamers is actually going to be interested in it? At the same time they only have two US English and British English VOs? Why not advertise Spanish, there are millions of Spanish speakers in the US, much, much more than there are trans people.

I just did a quick Google search:

Number of people in the US that identify as transgender - 1.6 million
Number of people in the US indicating Spanish as their first language - 41.3 million

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Why is this even a feature? What minuscule percentage of gamers is actually going to be interested in it? At the same time they only have two US English and British English VOs? Why not advertise Spanish, there are millions of Spanish speakers in the US, much, much more than there are trans people.

I just did a quick Google search:

Number of people in the US that identify as transgender - 1.6 million
Number of people in the US indicating Spanish as their first language - 41.3 million
Because the cost of entry is negligible. These games already let you pick male or female, so you already have a dedicated variable tracking gender and the usage of the correct pronoun using that variable for in-game text-based dialogue. Adding another text-based flavor choice at character creation takes mere moments to implement.

Meanwhile, Spanish speaking Americans will undoubtedly be able to select Spanish for voices as has been the case for previous entries, if that is important to them. Not sure why you are treating this as some kind of zero-sum situation. There is nothing wrong with giving transgender folks an option. The internet culture rage over giving trans folks options in games has the same energy as the outrage over players being able to make a female Shepherd and dyke it out with Liara in the original Mass Effect back in the Xbox 360 era. Don’t want to see lesbian action? Then don’t pick the options that would make your character a lesbian.

Gp1

Because the cost of entry is negligible. These games already let you pick male or female, so you already have a dedicated variable tracking gender and the usage of the correct pronoun using that variable for in-game text-based dialogue. Adding another text-based flavor choice at character creation takes mere moments to implement.

Meanwhile, Spanish speaking Americans will undoubtedly be able to select Spanish for voices as has been the case for previous entries, if that is important to them. Not sure why you are treating this as some kind of zero-sum situation. There is nothing wrong with giving transgender folks an option. The internet culture rage over giving trans folks options in games has the same energy as the outrage over players being able to make a female Shepherd and dyke it out with Liara in the original Mass Effect back in the Xbox 360 era. Don’t want to see lesbian action? Then don’t pick the options that would make your character a lesbian.

Jokes apart you are right.

But the problem is that their entire presentation sounds like a checkbox of every single modern low hanging fruit in the gaming industry, and still doesn't sounds good. Especially for a studio that's once was the state of the art in the industry and now is on the verge of bankruptcy.

It's like seeing an old acquaintance of yours, completely drunk, taking the keys of a Paul's Walker Porsche for a cross country road trip on the Autobahn...

Edit. I will love to see how they will use neutral pronouns on every single translation/dubbing...

Last edited:

Dazraell

At the same time they only have two US English and British English VOs? Why not advertise Spanish, there are millions of Spanish speakers in the US, much, much more than there are trans people.
Pretty sure that US English and British English VO thing isn't tied to language options, but they're just saying that main protagonist will have two unique voices with different accents per gender for you to pick. They did the same thing in DA Inquisition with Inquisitor protagonist

Zathalus

I’m interested, not very hopeful, but interested. The details they announced are far more compelling than the lackluster reveal trailers.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Jokes apart you are right.

But the problem is that their entire presentation sounds like a checkbox of every single modern low hanging fruit in the gaming industry, and still doesn't sounds good. Especially for a studio that's once was the state of the art in the industry and now is on the verge of bankruptcy.

It's like seeing an old acquaintance of yours, completely drunk, taking the keys of a Paul's Walker Porsche for a cross country road trip on the Autobahn...
Oh, I agree with the general sentiment actually. I am a huge fan of Origins and was subsequently let down by the sequels. I was also completely turned off by the reveal trailer, as the tone is a massive departure from the dark fantasy Origins came with.

I’m observing, but not sold on the game yet. Funny really, because folks compare the graphics to Fortnite, and I play Fortnite. Bioware say there’s a tonal shift and dark fantasy in there somewhere. Well, I need more than words. Give me a piece of evidence.

But the problem is that their entire presentation sounds like a checkbox of every single modern low hanging fruit in the gaming industry, and still doesn't sounds good. Especially for a studio that's once was the state of the art in the industry and now is on the verge of bankruptcy...
yep. this's what's disappointing for me with square enix, as well - they've gone from being the studio that others attempted to emulate, to emulating what other studios've done. it's a big step down...

YuLY

Parvati from Outer Worlds
I still cant get over how in your face the lesbian stuff with Parvati and that chick from the space station was. I literally just met Parvati and she joined the ship crew and I go to space station and she tells me about her lesbian desires with the female leader of the station. Like bro what ? The Outer Worlds is such an awful game. I'm still not sure who has fallen more, Bioware or Obsidian, but for both it makes sense when most of the talent left and they are those studios in name only.

Avellone is a legend.

DeaDPo0L84

seriously, bioware: at this point, the less said the better. just let the damn game speak for itself. thank you...
The person in question LinkedIn profile "Trans woman and Game Design Director of Dragon Age", also info in their twitter bio "Queerosexual Gendermancer 🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈Game Director of Dragon Age: The Veilguard | BioWare | EATrans rights | BLM", yea I'm good. It's obvious why the game looks like garbage, it's because actually making a good DA game was never the point, it's just a template to push their deranged ideology but you can also cast spells.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I still cant get over how in your face the lesbian stuff with Parvati and that chick from the space station was. I literally just met Parvati and she joined the ship crew and I go to space station and she tells me about her lesbian desires with the female leader of the station. Like bro what ? The Outer Worlds is such an awful game. I'm still not sure who has fallen more, Bioware or Obsidian, but for both it makes sense when most of the talent left and they are those studios in name only.

Avellone is a legend.

Not just a lesbian, an asexual lesbian. And her whole companion quest is her telling you about how nervous she is to ask a woman out because they might not be ok with an asexual relationship. And you have to encourage her and help build up her confidence. Then she asks her crush out on a date and everything goes perfectly fine.

It’s so heavy handed. They tried sooooo fucking hard to make you like this character. And it clashes with the overwhelmingly cynical tone of the game. Everyone in this universe is some sociopathic aristocrat or soulless corporate automaton except Parvati who’s just so so wonderful and sweet.

She has to be Ashly Burch’s self insert character.

The person in question LinkedIn profile "Trans woman and Game Design Director of Dragon Age", also info in their twitter bio "Queerosexual Gendermancer 🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈Game Director of Dragon Age: The Veilguard | BioWare | EATrans rights | BLM", yea I'm good. It's obvious why the game looks like garbage, it's because actually making a good DA game was never the point, it's just a template to push their deranged ideology but you can also cast spells.
it's the excessive over-promotion of this stuff, & the way it's injected into existing franchises that up till now were either free of it or included elements of it in moderation, that i find tiresome. while I appreciate that it's their franchises, & not mine, to do with what they want, i don't think that makes it any less obviously forced/invasive...

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
They had to learn that companions were important in a bioware game?

What has happened to that studio - holy shit
Probably filled with GenZ /Gen X mentality. When the last of the founders took off , that was enough writing on the wall that one needed. EA isn't the studio vampire for no good reason. They sink their long fangs into a studio, drain them of all their worth, while forcing them to do stupid shit that goes against success, studio underperforms because of the publishers shitty meddling, fangs retracted, studio kicked into a box, buried sloppily.

Ok, let's go, hold on to your they/them.

Incredibly stupid answer, but in the end quite pointless. Let's see they needed a catchy sentence for the article. But wait - let's see what makes these companions truly diverse and authentic!

Why is this a bad thing? WTF is up with everyone being obsessed with the team? No - way to distinguish yourself would have been to go super hard on the main enemy, making him incredibly powerful. At the start you get wasted, it takes many adventures and all the way to end game to stand toe to toe with him/her.

Actually I am going to roast CDPR for that as well with what they did in CP 2077:

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

I would love one dev to explain how in his/her/their opinion changing the dong or pubic hair contributes to role-playing aspect of a character we play. Take your time.

Everyone that ever played a Bioware game knows this to be a complete and utter bullshit that will fall apart in the first 15 minutes of the game, this is why they give themselves "some sort of magical reason" as a way out. You know who is competent? Geralt, because it is established he is a master monster slayer. We are not playing a pre-determined character, so GTFO with this bullshit.

Yes, what I want from my dark fantasy is sci-fi inspiration. What?

Exactly the same MMO-inspired bullshit that was the Skyhold, incredible they were unable to come up with anything different than something we had in DA:I 10 YEARS AGO.

Generic fantasy shit.

More generic fantasy shit. Oh, she's a nerd AND a sweetheart! I never, ever had that in a Bioware game before!

Every single boring, generic ass combat system we already had 1000 times before. Pause-and-play? Check. Weapon loadouts nobody uses? Check. Light and heavy attacks? Check. Attack combos? Check.

We are Persona now. Can companions leave your party if they disagree? Nope, because you are the CHOSEN ONE.
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

We don't know how to do open world, so we will just copy paste from DA:I.

I hope developers had fun with their ping pong tables and pilates classes, because this operation is getting shut down after this game releases. Generic Age: Veilguard it is.
None of the DA games have been open world have they? I think DA:I had bigger play areas than the ones before it.

dotnotbot

Is it just me or does this look AI generated?

That tatoo or whatever it is on her forehead looks like something AI would generate, paired with the "artstyle" where everything looks smoothed over definitely makes it look that way.

Maybe AI is the secret why this game looks so bland.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

DA:I Game of the Year Edition is on sale for $4 holy shit, includes all the DLC

I started another run (never played the DLC) and I’m really enjoying it. 4K 120 FPS with all the settings maxed + auto HDR, this could easily pass for a current gen game. Hard to believe it’s 10 years old. Just finished The Descent DLC and quite enjoyed it, nice to hear Ali Hillis (Liara/Lightning) again.

Not sure if I’ll be able to stomach Veilguard yet :(

Hot5pur

Was initially on the hate train, but after seeing the gameplay it looks pretty good to me.
Looking forward to and like the more action focused gameplay :)

That tatoo or whatever it is on her forehead looks like something AI would generate, paired with the "artstyle" where everything looks smoothed over definitely makes it look that way.

Maybe AI is the secret why this game looks so bland.

To me, it's pretty obvious that games like this, Concord or Bleeding Edge have used AI for their visuals. The less talented a studio is the more likely they will use autogenerative tools for art, writing, and whatever they need.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The gameplay and structure reminds me quite a bit of Mass Effect style gameplay. Not a bad thing.
Yeah TBH I’ll take ME combat over DA: Origins combat. That is fine with me.

Gameplay looks actually pretty good. Too bad the characters look so shitty. I have a feeling I’ll be choosing my party purely based on how insufferable their personalities are.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I liked Dragon Age 2. I said it. I especially like that cute elf girl character. The busty pirate wench was hot too.
It’s better than people make it out to be IMO. Weakest game in the series but I managed to enjoy it.

The worst part was how like 90% of the time you’re stuck inside of Kirkwall, and the few missions outside it used the same copy/pasted environments. And how so much of the game is build up to this expedition to the Deep Roads which is supposed to be some vast network of ancient tunnels spanning hundreds of miles…. Then you get there and it’s like 3 screens and a boss fight and then back to fucking Kirkwall.

Reminded me of that episode of the Clerks cartoon where they’re constantly hearing about crazy shit happening outside, but they spend the entire episode inside the convenience store.

Top Bottom