• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

Cabela guy looks like how neckbeards envision themselves to be.

Oh my god, I'm dying
KuGsj.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
i can't beat either of the two bosses i have available right now and i can't figure out where else to go

fuck bloodborne

Majine

Banned
I don't usually object to violence in games, but I actually found it somewhat hard to watch the Cabela QL. I realize I'm probably hypocritical in so many ways, but it's just what I subjectively felt.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
upf was 1000x better with vinny. brought (mostly) the best games, asked questions about other games, and brought comedy. Not that it's entirely lacking any of those things now, but you could always count on vinny to make the show interesting.

Now if I'm around when it's live I'm either watching it while doing other stuff or turning it off early to passively watch it some other day.

Mr. F

Banned
upf was 1000x better with vinny. brought (mostly) the best games, asked questions about other games, and brought comedy. Not that it's entirely lacking any of those things now, but you could always count on vinny to make the show interesting.

Now if I'm around when it's live I'm either watching it while doing other stuff or turning it off early to passively watch it some other day.

Yeah, Vinny's presence is sorely missed on streams. More often than not it feels like they're kind of bored with each other's choices and end up just shooting the shit on something completely unrelated while someone's quietly playing something in the background. Or vice versa when someone is at the PC and sort of checks out of engaging with the others present.

Need that Caravella energy!

Seventy70

most things > UPF

UPF used to be good. Now they plan things out way to much. It feels like they are just going through the motions. They need something to spice it up. Every time I watch one, I get the impression that they can't wait to get out of the office and go home.

I really hate to be negative, but a lot of their content is this way now. I was listening to some old Bombcast clips and the difference between those and what we have now is huge. It was 4 guys that jumped one ship together in order to captain their own, so there was that tight knit bond there. Their attitude used to be, "Let's get in there and do this!" It feels like they are just coasting these days.

Their attitudes really took a dive after Ryan died. Then Vinny moved. Patrick left. Now Jeff and Brad aren't as enthusiastic as they used to be.

I think UPF has needed reworking for quite a while now but it was still at least entertaining with Vinny and his games. Its just a background video for me now while I do other stuff.

I think I preferred it when they used it to play games that didn't have time to elsewhere like when Vinny kept playing Castlevania or just like when Ryan had an urge to play A Dogs Life.

I just saw in the new releases tab that they are releasing another RBI Baseball? Will it this time not be shit?

Probably not. But, this year's game apparently has full rosters as opposed to the limited rosters from last year (Edit- Here are this year's features: http://www.rbigame.com/). If you really want a fun RBI Baseball style game (and you have a PS3/PS4), maybe try Super Mega Baseball (if you don't own it already). Apparently it's coming to Vita, too (it actually is very good via remote play on Vita already, especially with the new PS4/PS Vita FW updates). Dan and Jeff's quick look was lots of fun. I wonder if they will be paired again next week when they will inevitably quick look MLB 15: The Show (probably the PS4 version). Edit- Hmm both MLB: 15 The Show and RBI Baseball 15 release on Tuesday. Could there be two baseball quick look's next week?

UPF used to be good. Now they plan things out way to much. It feels like they are just going through the motions. They need something to spice it up. Every time I watch one, I get the impression that they can't wait to get out of the office and go home.

Plan out what too much? One of the main issues with UPF is the lack of planning when it comes to what games they bring.

I certainly agree with the lack of Vinny being noticed on UPF, he'd normally bring a game that was hilarious to watch and even when he didn't he had a good amount of energy to carry it. The UPF a few weeks ago where Jason brought the horror movie fighting game felt like the best UPF in a while and I'd like to see Jason get a permanent slot, at least that throws another person into the mix to liven things up a bit.

Seventy70

Plan out what too much? One of the main issues with UPF is the lack of planning when it comes to what games they bring.

I certainly agree with the lack of Vinny being noticed on UPF, he'd normally bring a game that was hilarious to watch and even when he didn't he had a good amount of energy to carry it. The UPF a few weeks ago where Jason brought the horror movie fighting game felt like the best UPF in a while and I'd like to see Jason get a permanent slot, at least that throws another person into the mix to liven things up a bit.

Usually it feels like they go, "We are going to play these 3 games during UPF." Then they halfheartedly run through them and call it a show. There are less off the cuff moments like when they play what they actually feel like playing at the moment. It feels more like a routine than something they want to do now.

I feel like Danny hasn't been on UPF in forever. Those are usually better.

Forgetting for a minute my usual dislike of Rorie, I do think it would be better without him there. He doesn't bring a game so I'd much prefer to see someone like Jason come out and actually play something.

Bacon

They need to hire a video producer who has literally no personality so people will never want him to come in front of the camera

They need to hire a video producer who has literally no personality so people will never want him to come in front of the camera

well, for a minute there we had Ian on the big knob but then i found out that he can get under rorie's skin and it was pretty amusing to watch that play out.

Patryn

Remember scrub league? That was a neat idea.

Scrub league only worked because they were in an office with a bunch of other people comfortable with being on camera who weren't covering video games.

You can't really call any of the GB or Gamespot staff "scrubs".

But I will say that UPF is starting to kind of have that TNT towards the end feeling to it, where it appears to be more of an obligation than something the guys enjoy doing.

Scrub league only worked because they were in an office with a bunch of other people comfortable with being on camera who weren't covering video games.
GB NY has PLENTY of non-gaming personalities to draw from...I'm thinking CNET.

If it had to be a San Francisco thing, there's still people to rope in, even if a lot of them would be from Gamespot.

Haunted

Cabela's Poaching Adventures

For those bringing up that they would be happy about headshotting eagles and chaingunning elephants in Far Cry, context is important. The Cabela's branding makes this much more concerning.

You can't really call any of the GB or Gamespot staff "scrubs".

But I will say that UPF is starting to kind of have that TNT towards the end feeling to it, where it appears to be more of an obligation than something the guys enjoy doing.

I think a MKX tournament could be pretty fun, even if GS/GB aren't scrubs. Just a tournament with a bunch of guys around the office could bring back that fun vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom