• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Veilguard New Details

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Also - can everyone please take a moment to examine themselves and the hypocrisy of celebrating the character creator in Cyberpunk and Baldur's Gate, but when Veilguard gives you the exact same options, it's somehow an unspeakable travesty? Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb too. But I also think it's dumb in those other games. Why is it only bad here? It feels like one of these:

1339555000701_7469619.png

I haven't played Cyberpunk, but from what I understand, transhumanism and body modification are major themes of the setting, so having those options in the game makes good sense.

In medieval-inspired settings, those same options often feel forced and immersion-breaking. I agree with you, it was dumb in BG3, and frankly that game had quite a bit of what could be described as woke elements, to the point where I found myself using mods to rectify the character creator, romance options, and certain NPCs; but for the most part, they weren't too in-your-face about it, and the game was otherwise very well-developed, fun, and just massive overall, so I think most people gave it a pass.

By contrast, Veilguard has players, particularly long-time fans of the series, quite wary about the developers' intentions, from the game director giving interviews about how Dragon Age supposedly means so much to LGBT people to emphasizing the inclusion of pronouns in their character creator. It makes one feel like they might be trying to push an agenda.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The person in question LinkedIn profile "Trans woman and Game Design Director of Dragon Age", also info in their twitter bio "Queerosexual Gendermancer 🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈Game Director of Dragon Age: The Veilguard | BioWare | EATrans rights | BLM", yea I'm good. It's obvious why the game looks like garbage, it's because actually making a good DA game was never the point, it's just a template to push their deranged ideology but you can also cast spells.
I'm gonna riot if queerosexual gendermancer is not an ingame subclass for my warrior.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
kZ32tPh.jpeg

7 questions about character creation and 2 of them are about gender indentity. I don't wanna live on this planet any more...

That last question and answer had me rolling.

Imagine spending dev time and resources on the mechanics of trans videogame characters being acknowledged or not based on whether or not the player has disclosed that info to an NPC, lmao.

GymWolf

Gold Member
More good news

"Blood magic is unlikely because we've shifted it from a power boost to really being the key to a lot of nasty stuff we aren't interested in having heroes do," Weekes writes in a response on Blue Sky. "The other stuff just needs the right game." Blood magic in the Dragon Age universe is what it sounds like - rather than using mana, mages sacrifice their own blood, or others', to cast spells that might not be feasible otherwise. And, of course, Thedas' baddest bad guys have used the power to enslave, conquer, and summon demons.
"I think it can be ethically neutral if you only use your own blood, but after seeing it used as a required part of mind control and demon binding in [Dragon Age 2] and [Dragon Age Inquisition], it's just not a road we want the hero to walk right now," Weekes continues, "which is a shame, because 'use your health to cast more spells' is a fun gameplay twist for folks who like that kind of risk/reward play style. We might find other ways to get that. Just not blood magic for the hero for now."

Top Bottom