• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Jeff has been brainwashed while in LA:

tumblr_notdqaIKHK1qe4qeqo1_1280.jpg

Next up: Drew.

danm999

Given all those Solitaire variations it does amuse me that the one resonating with Alex was Regency.

And Vinnys commentary "flip the table and rush the old lady".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So... Bloody Baron has to be a favorite for best new character this year, right? Such a well-written, well-performed arc for him. Characters that complex and human are rarely found in games.

I don't know. I thought Wolfenstein easily had the best characters of last year and I felt like none of them made a case for anyone in that game.

It doesn't have to be crazy but I think it could use a refresh.

Only thing on the site design I really want is to see the upcoming que on mobile.

I want them to get rid of the dropdown-on-mouse-hover thing they have going on with the top bar. I've clicked on the reviews accidentally rather often as I glide down to pause a currently running video.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So... Bloody Baron has to be a favorite for best new character this year, right? Such a well-written, well-performed arc for him. Characters that complex and human are rarely found in games.

Yeah, the ending to his questline was really something. And the middle of it too.
It's weird how he is both relatable and sympathetic but also a somewhat psychopathic, and
an alcoholic who hits his wife.
Really great character.

justjim89

Yeah, the ending to his questline was really something. And the middle of it too.
It's weird how he is both relatable and sympathetic but also a somewhat psychopathic, and
an alcoholic who hits his wife.
Really great character.

Yeah, I can't believe I find myself hoping it turns out reasonably ok for him.
I've resolved the quest for now but there are still dangling leads that I'm sure will manifest. But man, that scene where he names Dea before burying her, with the rain pouring down, and he can barely hold it in... it really fucked me up. Didn't expect Witcher 3 to make me tear up.

And it's a fairly early questline so hopefully most of the duders get through it. I'm curious to hear how far each of them are on this week's bombcast.

danm999

I don't know. I thought Wolfenstein easily had the best characters of last year and I felt like none of them made a case for anyone in that game.

Hopefully by virtue of almost all of them playing it, it will.

Because the Bloody Baron is fleshed out more than a lot of games flesh out their main cast.

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, I can't believe I find myself hoping it turns out reasonably ok for him.
I've resolved the quest for now but there are still dangling leads that I'm sure will manifest. But man, that scene where he names Dea before burying her, with the rain pouring down, and he can barely hold it in... it really fucked me up. Didn't expect Witcher 3 to make me tear up.

And it's a fairly early questline so hopefully most of the duders get through it. I'm curious to hear how far each of them are on this week's bombcast.

Oh man, dude. Not really a spoiler but still:
There is a choice a bit later in the game and if you pick the wrong thing....damn. And the choice isn't very obvious, but the consequences...fuck man. Shit get's dark.

Thing about him is, that he is guy who made mistakes that lead to terrible consequences.
He didn't want them, he suffers for them, it was an accident but he is still responsible.
He just feels like more of a real person than the typical "Hehe I'm evil! Kill all the children....and make them suffer!" bad guy in games. That's what's just fucking fantastic about the whole franchise.

None of the stuff I put in the spoiler tag is really a spoiler, but I know some folks are very sensitive about that stuff.

justjim89

There is a choice a bit later in the game and if you pick the wrong thing....damn. And the choice isn't very obvious, but the consequences...fuck man. Shit get's dark.

Thing about him is, that he is guy who made mistakes that lead to terrible consequences.
He didn't want them, he suffers for them, it was an accident but he is still responsible.
He just feels like more of a real person than the typical "Hehe I'm evil! Kill all the children....and make them suffer!" bad guy in games. That's what's just fucking fantastic about the whole franchise.

In the first game you had to decide whether to help
the group of racists who hate Elfs and Dwarfs and would love to kill them all or the Scoia'tael who are basically terrorists. But they are what they are cause the other folks hate them. But they don't care who they kill and will happily slaughter innocent men, women and children.
So have fun choosing.

Exactly. He's humanly flawed in a way a lot of real people are, not some evil caricature.

Anytime I think he's a real prick I remember
how he took in Gretka and provided for her when he didn't have to. Hope all is well with her. That's the sweetest little digital girl I've ever seen.

Fantastapotamus

Exactly. He's humanly flawed in a way a lot of real people are, not some evil caricature.

Anytime I think he's a real prick I remember
how he took in Gretka and provided for her when he didn't have to. Hope all is well with her. That's the sweetest little digital girl I've ever seen.

Yeah, he is complete rollercoaster
Cause at first people tell you about him and they are like "He is a monster, you don't want to meet him!" But then he seems super nice, helped Ciri and Gretka without any second thought or anything! But then you find out about the stuff he did! But then you see how he reacts to the stuff he did and how he wishes he could own up to it! Etc.
Just a great character.
Witcher 3 is a great game, you guys. Probably the best I have played in a very long time

danm999

There is a choice a bit later in the game and if you pick the wrong thing....damn. And the choice isn't very obvious, but the consequences...fuck man. Shit get's dark

Are you talking about how his wife is nuts and he has to take her to the Blue Mountains in the vain hope they can cure her mental health?

Yes, shit's dark.

Are you talking about how his wife is nuts and he has to take her to the Blue Mountains in the vain hope they can cure her mental health?

Yes, shit's dark.
In my version of the game(very different than yours, will spoil for a second playthrough)
his wife died due to the curse placed upon by the witches for letting the children escape so he hung himself because he had lost both his wife and daughter. The army he commanded at Crow's Perch then imply they're about to leave the walls and wreck havoc.

danm999

In my version of the game(very different than yours, will spoil for a second playthrough)
his wife died due to the curse placed upon by the witches for letting the children escape so he hung himself because he had lost both his wife and daughter. The army he commanded at Crow's Perch then imply they're about to leave the walls and wreck havoc.

oh shit

What causes that difference?

Fantastapotamus

oh shit

What causes that difference?

Whether you save the tree spirit or kill it. If you save it, it will rescue the children, the Crones however make the wife responsible and curse her. If you kill the spirit the children die and the Crones don't care about the wife anymore.

Seeing the guy hanging from a ceiling, with his daughter's doll lying beneath him was really a hard thing to look at. I actually loaded up a previous save and killed the tree thing.

The Baron is probably the best new character I've come across so far in my 20 hours or so, he's a complete scumbag but he's a really well fleshed out scumbag.

I also think Geralt might be one of my favourite protagonists in a while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite part of Witcher 3 is where my horse likes to randomly stop. On races. On a trail. With nothing in the way. Repeatedly.

Geralt Of Rivia: Pun Master
Jeff has been brainwashed while in LA:

Next up: Drew.

Giant Bomb Becomes A Scientologist
I want that video feature they promised.

Whether you save the tree spirit or kill it. If you save it, it will rescue the children, the Crones however make the wife responsible and curse her. If you kill the spirit the children die and the Crones don't care about the wife anymore.

Seeing the guy hanging from a ceiling, with his daughter's doll lying beneath him was really a hard thing to look at. I actually loaded up a previous save and killed the tree thing.

I killed it, why would you trust a talking tree?

danm999

Yikes.

Super pleased I didn't let that Bloodraven motherfucker out. Just reasoned it wouldn't be a very Geralt move to let some mysterious creepy thing free to roam. Sort of glad I didn't.

But how much better would Witcher 3 be if they just used Agent York's voice actor and all of his monologues ended with "isn't that right, Zach?"

I'm not playing the Witcher but this Geralt guy's voice acting is really lame. Like a bad David Hayter impersonation.

Do people tolerate his voice?

Fantastapotamus

You mean the one in the QL?

Haven't seen the QL yet, but I don't think there are a lot of them so probably ;)

Witchers lose all emotions, that's why he sounds so meh.
I'm fine with it.

Pretty sure they don't but it has been a while since I read the books. However since they are outcasts and pretty much train alone for the first few years in their life they probably aren't the most emotional people around.
However I really like Geralt's voice, couldn't envision a more fitting one tbh.

Teddified

The only voice acting that really irks me is the English anime girl voice. It just weirds me out, most other voices I either tolerate or I'm perfectly fine with them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is definitely a good thing the story and characters are good because I get as frustrated with Witcher as I do with the Assassin's Creed games when it comes to controls.

Jintor

The only voice acting that really irks me is the English anime girl voice. It just weirds me out, most other voices I either tolerate or I'm perfectly fine with them.

Yes, it's horrible. Not by itself, but just in context of your standard "This is a really Japanese high school and we're not going to pretend otherwise"

Hayter and Jensen are great. People say Hayter's voice degraded over time... he definitely started hamming it up the further he got, yeah.

I really want to see if the rumour of Sutherland costing way more so they had to lower the amount of lines Snake has is true or not. God knows he didn't say much in GZ

danm999

I'm not playing the Witcher but this Geralt guy's voice acting is really lame. Like a bad David Hayter impersonation.

Do people tolerate his voice?

I like it.

I've played the series since 1, but it's kind of a good fit to me, and a lot of the inflection and timing is perfect, but it seems to be fairly offputting to lots of new people.

There's a point in the Prologue Vinny and Alex played where that scholar dude asks Geralt why anybody would bother killing him in the no man's land since he's a neutral party, and Geralt just says "Boots. They'll kill you for your boots", and IMO the line reading is basically perfect.

Farmersonly.com: City folks just don't get it.

latest

Seeing that Solitaire game is weird, I swear it seems like the exact same game as Faerie Solitaire just with different art and motif. Thought it was maybe the same dev or something, but I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom