• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suplexer

I have a dilemma that maybe you guys can help me with. I have a Vita, which I told myself I would use for remote play, since I'm away from my PS4 all the time now thanks to work. The problem is I literally haven't even turned it on in the last two weeks that I haven't seen my PS4.

Do you duders think it's time I jump on the 3DS train? I don't want to spend a ton of money out of pocket, so I would be selling my Vita to get one (I have a Playstation TV still in the box in case I ever miss it too much). I have played maybe 10 hours of PAD on my phone over the course of the last two weeks, so that plus Animal Crossing are making me feel like it's the right thing to do. There are a good amount of games on the Vita I am still interested in (particularly the VNs coming out), but I have never owned a 3DS, so there is a large backlog. Plus, my older model of the Vita is too clunky for me to bring places.

I keep telling myself it's a no brainer, than I see I'm going to have to drop $150 (if you count the $50 I'll get for my Vita) and that doesn't include the price of a game....

If you want to save some money, the standard 3DS is barely $100 if you buy used, and New Leaf is pretty cheap even brand new. And there's no real giant glaring reason to get the 3DSXL unless you like a bigger device. The 3DS standard model is perfectly serviceable, and plays pretty much everything you could want as well as the 3DSXL would. Referb is also a great way to go if you want to get something like new directly from Nintendo.

Now, as far as the N3DS goes, it does load things incredibly quickly, but that isn't really a huge problem that I've ever had except when it came to Smash and Monster Hunter. Now seeing as those two games are games I play obsessively, it made sense for me to get the upgrade. But if you just want to get your hands on something that will play a backlog of games, the 3DS standard is perfect.

I can't speak to anything about the Vita, though. You certainly won't find VNs on the 3DS, if that's important.

I have a dilemma that maybe you guys can help me with. I have a Vita, which I told myself I would use for remote play, since I'm away from my PS4 all the time now thanks to work. The problem is I literally haven't even turned it on in the last two weeks that I haven't seen my PS4.

Do you duders think it's time I jump on the 3DS train? I don't want to spend a ton of money out of pocket, so I would be selling my Vita to get one (I have a Playstation TV still in the box in case I ever miss it too much). I have played maybe 10 hours of PAD on my phone over the course of the last two weeks, so that plus Animal Crossing are making me feel like it's the right thing to do. There are a good amount of games on the Vita I am still interested in (particularly the VNs coming out), but I have never owned a 3DS, so there is a large backlog. Plus, my older model of the Vita is too clunky for me to bring places.

I keep telling myself it's a no brainer, than I see I'm going to have to drop $150 (if you count the $50 I'll get for my Vita) and that doesn't include the price of a game....

My thought: Get a refurb XL from Nintendo, shop for cheap games in the BST thread, and keep the Vita instead of selling it for nothing.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat50005

I'd agree with going for an older model 3DS and keeping the vita, especially since there are vita games you would still like to play.

I can't speak to anything about the Vita, though. You certainly won't find VNs on the 3DS, if that's important.

There are the Ace Attorney games which they should totally play if they like VNs and haven't played the series before.

I have played one hundred and sixty-six hours of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It is maybe my favorite handheld game ever. Link Between Worlds , Fire Emblem, and Persona Q are also amazing. Those four alone justified my 3DS for me, and there's still a bunch of good stuff outside of that.

FWIW, I bought a regular 3DS, not even an XL. I never really felt like I was missing out on much (although that ALBW-themed XL was pretty sweet looking).

I reached the conclusion of the questline Alex was playing in the Witcher 3 QL.
I made a decision that made it go extremely poorly for almost everyone involved but I don't think there was anyway to have it end truly nicely. I accepted the outcome but goddamn, CDPR likes to rub your nose in it when your choices negatively impact other characters.
The discussion they were having a few weeks ago about choice in game impacting the narrative and whether it has been a good thing or not, maybe in a macro sense from game to game, it hasn't worked out great due to realities of development but with the Witcher games, CDPR makes a great case for big decisions in more isolated scenarios. The games typically have a major plot which outcome is only tweaked somewhat by player choice but decisions along the way make significant differences in the state of the world and how the player sees it.

Jothel

Anyone here playing the Witcher on an awful PC? Debating just seeing how it runs on mine - I could run mordor okish on the lowest settings at half resolution

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys... Pro-tip from a guy who goes to the gym 5-6 days a week nowadays... Don't do kettlebell swings if you've eaten trash for lunch and you have gas issues. Talk about a fucking awkward look from the personal trainer lol.

Also, fuck kettlebell swings... I hate that shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Actually, I think in 2015, Square remaking FF7 is a lot more likely than Capcom ever remaking Resident Evil 2. I mean the fact that they're remaking the WORST 'mainline' Resident Evil kind of says it all.

At least give me a Dead Rising 1 remake with better text and less annoying bullshit. That might actually be worth it. And put out more arcade game collections. It's like why do I have to do this job for you, Capcom. It's right there.

WHERE'S A PROJECT JUSTICE PORT, DAVE LANG?!

santeesioux

They could at least release 2 and 3 on Steam or something to make it easier to play them on the pc and mod them, like Square did with FF 7 and 8.

Resident Evil 0 remaster was just announced, I wonder what Jeff thinks...

Why do you announce a HD remaster a full year before its actually out? What are you doing Capcom. Its Resident Evil 0. Not some hot shit to be proud of.

Is Street Fighter 5 the only new console game they have in the works now? And even that needs a giant moneyhat to get out the door.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lost Planet 2 - an alright game. I wish things turned out better for it. Definitely closer to what I would have liked to see for Japanese cooperative third person shooters.

danm999

you know, as great as someone chewing out the goddamned remaster trend and capcom for their BS is, I always thought this particular rant felt a little off because the thing that sparked it was the others talking about an HD rerelease as if it was a remake or a new game when it was never presented like that

It was basically Brad's error (or his bait) and not Capcom's yeah. But damn it if Jeff's rant wasn't cathartic.

I posted a thread about this in Gaming, but I'll post this here since I figure there might be some here that would agree with me. I really hope Sony announces a new Buzz! game for PS4 at E3. If they do, I hope they have the awareness to use cellphones as buzzers rather than produce special peripherals (smartphones works so well in the JackBox game), as well as utilize the PS4's built in Twitch/U-Stream functionality for something cool and innovative (I don't know what). Did the guys at Giant Bomb ever do much with the series. The last release came out in 2010, as Buzz!: Quiz Player on PS3 that was essentially a free-to-play download that had few built in questions, but allowed you to purchase additional question packs, as well as utilized MyBuzzQuiz. Those custom quizzes were fun because you could make personalized quizzes for your friends and family. A Giant Bomb themed quiz would be really fun. I seriously hope we see the series on PS4 soon.

Suplexer

I'm looking at the N3DS from the UK, the smaller one, and just thinking about how I could totally buy it right now and have those sick ass buttons.

The games are so expensive though....

Noaloha

If they play USFIV I'd like to see moneymatch Roseball (where you both pick Rose in Training Mode, set both health to 1%, one player 'serves' a Soul Spark and then both players pass the projectile back and forth with Soul Reflect, like Pong on steroids).

Haunted

Between Singstar and Buzz, Singstar is definitely the bigger franchise.

Music is timeless, while the quiz show bubble burst a couple years ago.

Zaph

Between Singstar and Buzz, Singstar is definitely the bigger franchise.

Music is timeless, while the quiz show bubble burst a couple years ago.

Yup, and trivia games are a localisation nightmare. You either need to heavily adapt the questions to each region (a lot of work), or create a ton of SKU's based on different themes (a lot of work and retailers will hate you).

We here in germany still have entire shelve spaces dedicated to those cards.

As you should.

Although summoning has gotten kinda stupid lately. Slap these two cards down and freely summon everything between their levels. Oh, and when they're destroyed you don't discard them, you put them back in your extra deck. So basically there's no punishments or drawbacks other than the setup.

And in today's OP RLY thread, Why isn't Monster Hunter on a REAL System?! Also there aren't more than three controllers in the world.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
we could have a sweet Pointless game though

i love the pointless format

as long as you skip the first round where they ask everyone about their lives

actually it would be great if they just condensed it down to the questions

Xater

New Yu-Gi-Oh for new consoles is coming, you nerds.

I could see myself playing one of these. Problem is there are now great F2P alternatives in the CCG space. Hearthstone is basically a juggernaut now and on iOS I just tried out the new game Earthcore and enjoy that very much as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom