• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
hot takes on Mad Max from Jefflr: "It seems cool" also "Assassin's Creed with a car"

Apparently there's even tower climbing :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
hot takes on Mad Max from Jefflr: "It seems cool" also "Assassin's Creed with a car"

Apparently there's even tower climbing :lol

:|

0372_ngueu.gif

I almost want to make a topic with that quote.:)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The story trailer thread is already going at Jason Schrier's quotes where he compares the game to a Ubisoft open world.

I got to play the Mad Max game during a brief hands-on session in Los Angeles last week, and although the upcoming game does a good job recreating some of Fury Road’s vicious car battles, it also feels empty and shallow, the result of too open a world and too many lessons from gamification. As I played, the game barraged me with notifications, achievements, and arbitrary objectives that felt more like a to-do list than a grand open-world adventure
As an example: when I used my harpoon to rip off an enemy’s tires, metal screeching, the game immediately greeted me with a prompt saying that I yanked 1/5 tires and that I should go do it some more to get the achievement (or trophy, or whatever). When I destroyed an enemy watchtower, the game said GOOD JOB and told me to rinse and repeat. Every accomplishment came coupled with an endless reminder that I was just filling boxes on a checklist

http://kotaku.com/the-mad-max-game-doesnt-seem-to-live-up-to-the-movie-1706910397

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's such a shame that ubisoft is starting to make open-worlds look like a collectathon chore instead of fun worlds to explore.

BearPawB

Banned
I struggle to articulate why i think The Witcher 3 does it well, while Assassins Creed does it poorly.

Witcher 3 also fills your map up with icons to explore. A lot of which are samey "kill all the guys" or "find the chest" objectives. I guess the rest of the freshness makes up for it?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"I bet Destiny 3 will be a really amazing game"
Lol

I struggle to articulate why i think The Witcher 3 does it well, while Assassins Creed does it poorly.

Witcher 3 also fills your map up with icons to explore. A lot of which are samey "kill all the guys" or "find the chest" objectives. I guess the rest of the freshness makes up for it?

I think it's that there is a lot of unique content to do in between those random boring things. The actual story missions and sidequests are really well done and interesting, which hasn't been the case in AC since....well probably since Brotherhood.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's so many open world games, but so few do it well. GTA games have amazing worlds and can support an open world/do anything type of play. I don't mind the Infamous games' open worlds because it's so fun to traverse the world, even if it's sort of empty. The Far Cry games are okay because I enjoy taking over bases and hunting the animals. It's a trend I wish would die.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff confirming another "Drive to E3 mixlr" with Danny is the best thing that happened to me today. Which is kinda sad, but it was a shitty day.

daydream

Banned
vinny confirmed a technobabylon ql for this week, right? adventure game qls are the best

also the game is supposed to be fantastic, wadjet really knows how to make'em

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
vinny confirmed a technobabylon ql for this week, right? adventure game qls are the best

also the game is supposed to be fantastic, wadjet really knows how to make'em

I didn't realize they made that. Wadjet Eye is really good at making games that make me think "Maybe this is going to be the adventure game I actually like" for a half hour before I quit and say "Fuck everything about playing adventure games"

BearPawB

Banned
I didn't realize they made that. Wadjet Eye is really good at making games that make me think "Maybe this is going to be the adventure game I actually like" for a half hour before I quit and say "Fuck everything about playing adventure games"

i like their style, but i have yet to find one of their games "fun"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I like 100% of the Wadjet Eye games I played.
Only played Gemini Rue

Honestly, adventure games today are more fun to me than they were in the past. Just google the solution if you've lost your patience. Couldn't do that 25 years ago.

Antiwhippy

There's so many open world games, but so few do it well. GTA games have amazing worlds and can support an open world/do anything type of play. I don't mind the Infamous games' open worlds because it's so fun to traverse the world, even if it's sort of empty. The Far Cry games are okay because I enjoy taking over bases and hunting the animals. It's a trend I wish would die.

See that's the thing, I always found the rockstar style open-worlds boring mostly because of how goddamn static the world is.

Give me more stuff like STALKER, mercenaries and just cause. Either beautiful, unique worlds or a playground for over-the-top fun.

Antiwhippy

No, the actual world. The world itself is always the world, and while there is a lot of detail but it's just a city, with a lot of buildings that serve nothing but be window dressing for me to have to drive between locations. I don't find a city all that interesting really, and the fact that only a few locations actually matter just makes exploring the world very disengaging to me.

Plus I honestly just don't like driving in games, period. Plus I always thought the combat gameplay for GTA games are always terrible.

Only GTA style games I liked was sleeping dogs, but that was mostly due to the slightly more tolerable and engaging gameplay as well as the HK movie aesthetic. Saint's row is ok mostly of how much they don't give a fuck but steelport is such a boring place.

My apologies because it's probably been discussed ad nauseam already but I just listened to the travel stories of Beastcast and was wondering if anyone had any idea why the German man went cold at the one guy ordering natchise (sp?) for dessert?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Kirby is much cuter than Yoshi.
Are they turning Yoshi into Kirby? Why is he getting the "look at this crazy artstyle/mechanic" games now? That is Kirby's thing!

My apologies because it's probably been discussed ad nauseam already but I just listened to the travel stories of Beastcast and was wondering if anyone had any idea why the German man went cold at the one guy ordering natchise (sp?) for dessert?
That story made no sense to me. The only rude word that "Nachtisch" said by an American could sound like would be "nackig" maybe, which means "nude".

Apparently what the dude said accidentally/actually meant he wanted to fuck his sister, or some other thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom