• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so Nom Nom Galaxy is RygarTerraria

if Drew had substituted "japanese" for "german" he'd be right. the kanji for "gold" is 金 and the word for money is お金.

wrong axis nation

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I don't want to bring this up in the Witcher thread because I know the explosion it would cause of gif replies and this isn't a major spoiler because i won't go into detail unless people want to but throughout the game I have to wonder

Why is Ciri such a Mary Sue
Like imagine the traits of that character in a fanfiction and tell me that isn't the first thing your mind would go to. If that's the main face of the games going forwards, no thanks.

Why is Ciri such a Mary Sue
Like imagine the traits of that character in a fanfiction and tell me that isn't the first thing your mind would go to. If that's the main face of the games going forwards, no thanks.

You mean kinda like how Geralt is the greatest monster hunter ever with Batman-esque detective solving skills who personally knows every single important person in the world and who the most beautiful sorceresses around all seem to fall for?

Ciri does have the benefit of being the actual main character of the book series she comes from and in-universe reasons for being the most important person to that world.

You mean kinda like how Geralt is the greatest monster hunter ever with Batman-esque detective solving skills who personally knows every single important person in the world and who the most beautiful sorceresses around all seem to fall for?

Ciri does have the benefit of being the actual main character of the book series she comes from and in-universe reasons for being the most important person to that world.

we need more video games where the protagonists are just schlubs that the audience doesn't automatically get behind

we need more kane and lynches

patapuf

Ciri has quite a few rough edges in the books, the problem is that it's a coming of age story and a Saga where Ciri comes to terms with her powers.

Meaning her character development is already over and since she's not all that present in the games CDPR doesn't really have much time to give her a real development arc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

All those beautiful sorceresses that use him on the regular? That he dim wittingly follows for whatever reason?

Not to mention all of Geralt's traits versus
Adopted daughter of the most famous Witcher in their world and one of the most powerful sorceresses, blood daughter of the arguably the most powerful political figure and greatest strategists of that world, ancestor of ancient super god, 1/8th super elf, 'my sword's so badass i only need one', everyone important loves her and instantly respects her everywhere she goes, trained by witchers and by the best warriors of the Skellige isles and the most well-known Druid, and her totally super cool badass i'm a super rebel anime jedi with teleporting sword weilding

Yeah I don't think 'kills monsters good and is hot' compares.

patapuf

All those beautiful sorceresses that use him on the regular? That he dim wittingly follows for whatever reason?

Adopted daughter of the most famous Witcher in their world and one of the most powerful sorceresses, blood daughter of the arguably the most powerful political figure and greatest strategists of that world, ancestor of ancient super god, 1/8th super elf, 'my sword's so badass i only need one', everyone important loves her and instantly respects her everywhere she goes, trained by witchers and by the best warriors of the Skellige isles and the most well-known Druid, and her totally super cool badass i'm a super rebel anime jedi with teleporting sword weilding

Lol,wWhen you put it that way i can't help to agree. It's the age old problem of the
"chosen one"
plot device. Though i apreciate the way sapkowsky justified all that shit.

I have no idea what they are announcing here at WWDC. Internet radio? Really? Is this a streaming service? Do I pay for this? Why would I want the same radio DJ/bumper bullshit that pushed me away from FM radio? This presentation is so long-winded and convoluted.

I have no idea what they are announcing here at WWDC. Internet radio? Really? Is this a streaming service? Do I pay for this? This presentation is so long-winded and convoluted.

this is like their, what, fourth attempt at doing streaming music? They still have Itunes Music, Itunes Radio, Ping was some sort of joke, and now theyre doing their best Spotify imitation.

Just seems like they were torn between collecting a ton of money through selling $.99 tracks but also realizing that that business model isn't feasible anymore. kinda ironic given that it's apple

Patryn

I have no idea what they are announcing here at WWDC. Internet radio? Really? Is this a streaming service? Do I pay for this? Why would I want the same radio DJ/bumper bullshit that pushed me away from FM radio? This presentation is so long-winded and convoluted.

It's a Spotify competitor. It's part of why Apple was strong-arming the major labels in an attempt to force Spotify to drop their free tier.

2755478-ubi.gif

this is pretty good

What a mess that announcement was. $9.99 streaming service, that's all they needed to say. Instead they bogged it down with that internet radio (??) nonsense and a Ping re-brand.

Megasoum

Banned
What a mess that announcement was. $9.99 streaming service, that's all they needed to say. Instead they bogged it down with that internet radio (??) nonsense and a Ping re-brand.

Yeah I pretty much never have access to the internet when I'm listening to music on my phone (Gym or in the subway) so I don't give a shit about Streaming... It pisses me off that it's taking over the standard music app. I know I can still just listen to my stuff and playlists but now it's super bloated.

Is there any good third part music apps on iOS?

How does it work to sync the music from the PC if you're not using iTunes? Especially considering that a bunch of the music I listen to everyday was bought on iTunes.

Well first you can upload your entire library and stream it, but you can also "pin" any and all music you want stored locally on your device, and it will download when you're on wifi (or over data if you so choose).

You can also filter your library in the app by "all" or "on the device".

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
I don't see it. Brad & Dan enjoyed it, Jeff seemed to have a somewhat good time with it but Alex didn't like it, Jason thought it was a letdown and Vinny probably won't get past the first boss. I don't think there's anyone who would champion it once other games come along, unless Austin loved it. It's a shame since it's clearly the best game From has released.

Sorry, but Armored Core: For Answer is the best game From has ever released.

Joking. Joking.

-Austin

Not joking.

f0rk

How does it work to sync the music from the PC if you're not using iTunes? Especially considering that a bunch of the music I listen to everyday was bought on iTunes.

It uploads anything on your PC. I don't know how it works with iTunes files though.

Zaph

Also vouch for Google Music on iOS, it's very good. Combine it with the Soundcloud and Hype Machine apps and you're golden.

Quentyn

Looks like the embargo for Fortnite previews just got lifted. It is from judges week, so I assume Jeff will talk about it on the Bombcast tomorrow.

Finally the proof that it is a real video game.

bigkrev

ON-TOPIC: when do they record the "Sealed Envelope" podcast? Will that also be today, or will they do it later in the week?

Well first you can upload your entire library and stream it, but you can also "pin" any and all music you want stored locally on your device, and it will download when you're on wifi (or over data if you so choose).

You can also filter your library in the app by "all" or "on the device".

Also vouch for Google Music on iOS, it's very good. Combine it with the Soundcloud and Hype Machine apps and you're golden.

Did they ever fix it so that if you have an entire album uploaded on the service, but you only want to download 1 song from that album, it's possible? I tried using it, but stopped when I couldn't figure out how to do that, because I only want to alocate a gig or so of space to music.

Myggen

ON-TOPIC: when do they record the "Sealed Envelope" podcast? Will that also be today, or will they do it later in the week?

Difficult to say, but from what I understand they haven't recorded it yet. So might be today, might be later in the week. Probably depends on what fits their schedule.

Did they ever fix it so that if you have an entire album uploaded on the service, but you only want to download 1 song from that album, it's possible? I tried using it, but stopped when I couldn't figure out how to do that, because I only want to alocate a gig or so of space to music.

Now that you mention it, not really. A workaround is creating a playlist with the songs, because it lets you download them that way.

Patryn

Difficult to say, but from what I understand they haven't recorded it yet. So might be today, might be later in the week. Probably depends on what fits their schedule.

I hope they do it later this week, because I think if they do the Bombcast and the Sealed Envelope back-to-back, it likely means a short Bombcast.

Which also now begs the question of when the Beastcast will be recorded. Do we know when Vinny, Austin and Alex are flying out to CA?

Like patapuf said, what's missing from Witcher 3 is context. The novels the series is based off of built Ciri up to the point she is now. She seems like this 'special snowflake' character only because the bulk of the fiction of the novels has built her up to be a big important thing that makes sense within the world the game takes place in and she's just now appearing in the game with basically only her footnotes in place to catch non-book readers up to speed.

Also I still find the fact that Geralt is some kind of ladies man despite looking like a grizzled old geezer and having a very mute personality more jarringly preposterous than anything about Ciri. In that first game, any woman who gave him half a glance was giving it up for him.

Myggen

I hope they do it later this week, because I think if they do the Bombcast and the Sealed Envelope back-to-back, it likely means a short Bombcast.

Which also now begs the question of when the Beastcast will be recorded. Do we know when Vinny, Austin and Alex are flying out to CA?

I would guess they record it on Thursday at the normal time. It would make sense for them to fly out on Saturday, that's when the SF guys are going.

And yeah, if they can avoid it I'm betting they won't record the Bombcast and the Sealed Envelope back-to-back. Podcast sessions that long are reserved for GOTY time.

Fox318

Like patapuf said, what's missing from Witcher 3 is context. The novels the series is based off of built Ciri up to the point she is now. She seems like this 'special snowflake' character only because the bulk of the fiction of the novels has built her up to be a big important thing that makes sense within the world the game takes place in and she's just now appearing in the game with basically only her footnotes in place to catch non-book readers up to speed.

Also I still find the fact that Geralt is some kind of ladies man despite looking like a grizzled old geezer and having a very mute personality more jarringly preposterous than anything about Ciri. In that first game, any woman who gave him half a glance was giving it up for him.

Witchers are sterile and with sorceresses just by touching them actually makes them vibrate and send crazy sensations of pleasure though their bodies.

In fact there is a point in one of the books where Triss touches another witcher and has to quickly withdraw her hand because of the sensations.

It is kinda weird but they are supposed to be kinda freak playboys.

Volotaire

I just completed Peace Waker. Beforehand, when I had not played the game, I was insistent that Drew should play Peace Walker. Now having played the game with it's short episodic structure to missions,
the resolution and repetition of MGS3 story threads
and some awkward game design, I'm not sure Drew needs to play it at all. A large portion of the story is sidelined to near the end of the game too. It maybe be fun for Drew to play a few missions co-op with Dan after MGS4.

Next for me is MGS4. I'm nearly at the end of my journey.

I just completed Peace Waker. Beforehand, when I had not played the game, I was insistent that Drew should play Peace Walker. Now having played the game with it's short episodic structure to missions,
and some awkward game design, I'm not sure Drew needs to play it at all. A large portion of the story is sidelined to near the end of the game too. It maybe be fun for Drew to play a few missions co-op with Dan after MGS4.

yeah, if they ever play it it has to be coop. And they probably shouldnt do the extra "true" final chapter and just stream it because it's a fucking garbage fire to grind out and not worth the crappy story that comes out of it.

I hated playing through Peace Walker so damn much lol

Anjin M

I think that the Mary Sue epithet is way overused and is pretty gross. But that spoiler marked section? Wow.

Sorry, but Armored Core: For Answer is the best game From has ever released.

Joking. Joking.

-Austin

Not joking.

Austin, happy to see you found your way to community! We don't bite much, even if your opinion about From games is objectively wrong.

erawsd

I hated playing through Peace Walker so damn much lol

I didn't necessarily hate it. However, I started playing last year after I finished GZ and it really did not grab me. I wanted to finish it in anticipation for MGSV but part of me thinks I'll be happier just reading about what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom