• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Not gonna lie, Drew's bad german is killing me.
Money and yellow are not the same word in german! I can understand the confusion though.
Yellow is Gelb, while money is Geld.

I'M glad 56 people already pointed that out in the comments.
Learn german, it's a super complicated language that you can use in 2,5 countries in the world. Go.

I will never understand the European habit of using a comma to designate decimals. Every time I see it I'm confused for a second then wonder if it was just a typo before I remember what the reality is.

daydream

Banned
Not gonna lie, Drew's bad german is killing me.
Money and yellow are not the same word in german! I can understand the confusion though.
Yellow is Gelb, while money is Geld.

I'M glad 56 people already pointed that out in the comments.
Learn german, it's a super complicated language that you can use in 2,5 countries in the world. Go.

giantbomb.de ist wirklich überfällig

run by gottfried gerstmann and iason österreicher

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I will never understand the European habit of using a comma to designate decimals. Every time I see it I'm confused for a second then wonder if it was just a typo before I remember what the reality is.

By "european" you mean "the cool part of the rest of the world" right?

940px-DecimalSeparator.svg.png

Fuck australia

giantbomb.de ist wirklich überfällig

run by gottfried gerstmann and iason österreicher

Bernhard Schuhmacher bitte nicht vergessen.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I like german even though I did a terrible job of learning it

wo wohnst du

ich habe keine ahnung

mir gehts gut

I am a new tie wearing

justjim89

Sometimes I think people that play games are the absolute worst people on the planet.

Then I look at Twitter anytime Apple announces anything and I can instantly breathe easier.

On a more on-topic note, I'm really psyched for E3 to start almost entirely for GB's content during the week. Also, new Hitman and Dishonored.

Geman is fun as hell to learn and makes a lot of sense as a language until you start getting into chaining words together to absurd lengths.

You should see how words are built in Finnish. Basic compound words are simple as shit, just put words together and you can easily figure out the meaning from the individual parts. Not having prepositions or such and just slapping suffix after suffix is where things get real fun.
I don't know what you're talking about, that's my favorite part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG62zay3kck
That's pretty great.

Fantastapotamus

I think we should all learn Welsh. That seems like a fun language.

On a more on-topic note, I'm really psyched for E3 to start almost entirely for GB's content during the week. Also, new Hitman and Dishonored.

You can't say stuff like that without adding "I really hope they announce a new Dishonored and a new Hitman that isn't hit". It's against the law to make me believe those games have been announced.

Someone was wondering about the current size of Gamespot a couple pages ago:

That's a whooole lot of people. I have a hard time seeing Gamespot keeping up this business model in the long term. They need a lot of clicks to keep all these people employed and IGN has a lot of the Gamespot marked covered.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nom nom galaxy looks awesome, it needs to get out of EA already on PC so I can start it

Patryn

Look at Canada straddling the fence. You're with us or you are against us!

US, China and India, if you're only going to have a few countries on your side you got to go big.

What I don't get about the comma thing is how do you differentiate when you have a number over 1,000 with decimals?

It's their headquarters, so I assume it is.

I'd think it was as well, but there was that major downsize last year, and at this point the editorial side of Gamespot SF is about the same size as GB, isn't it?

Zaph

That's a whole lot more people than I expected. Is SF still their biggest office?

That's a whooole lot of people. I have a hard time seeing Gamespot keeping up this business model in the long term. They need a lot of clicks to keep all these people employed and IGN has a lot of the Gamespot marked covered.

I imagine they're not all full-timers? Maybe regional freelancers they bring over to cover E3?

What I don't get about the comma thing is how do you differentiate when you have a number over 1,000 with decimals?

Ha ha, by not using the period between decimals, they just happen to have it available for the thousands separator. Humans. Wait for the alien invasion, when they have their number representation, language and unit of measure act together. We are so fucked.

Fantastapotamus

Pretty simple.
Or, alternatively, 1540,56

Ha ha, by not using the period between decimals, they just happen to have it available for the thousands separator. Humans. Wait for the alien invasion, when they have their number representation, language and unit of measure act together. We are so fucked.

I mean, most of the world already has it together, mostly. With some notable exceptions.
Like those weirdos who get the DDMMYYYY system wrong.

Is it weekend yet?

Myggen

I'd think it was as well, but there was that major downsize last year, and at this point the editorial side of Gamespot SF is about the same size as GB, isn't it?

Nah, it's still bigger by some margin I think. The GS Twitter group has some editorial people we've pretty much never heard of (if you count production too, which I'll do).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How do you people operate in day to day life?

That's just.... wrong.
This thing actually cost me a lot of time once, because some smartass created this file format called CSV, or comma-separated values. Try working with that across continents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom