• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost as if "gamers" is an extremely general term for what is actually a large group of people with different backgrounds, values, and opinions.

It's almost as if "gamers" is a pathetically broad term that covers millions of people with different opinions and ideals that sometimes conflict and aren't a monolith!

Wow almost verbatim!

So I beat Her Story and went back and watched the end of the QL. Yeah definitely do NOT watch the end of that because there are some potentially massive spoilers there.

Edit: If this doesn't win story of the year, then it's either a huge injustice or some game miraculously had a wonderful story too. It's up there with To The Moon in terms of fantastic stories, really.

So I beat Her Story and went back and watched the end of the QL. Yeah definitely do NOT watch the end of that because there are some potentially massive spoilers there.

Actually you should totally just skip Her Story because it's a really hacky attempt at "true-crime" fiction that is a less imaginative version of the film
Gone Girl

Edit: If this doesn't win story of the year, then it's either a huge injustice or some game miraculously had a wonderful story too. It's up there with To The Moon in terms of fantastic stories, really.

The Witcher 3 is one of the most profound games about war ever created.

This trend in Gaming, i dont know if it started in reddit or if it's coming from the dark depths of gamefaqs (Copyright CBSi), I dont know what these things are called but shit like

-You have to face the last enemy you fought in a game
-You wake up next to the last videogame character you were attracted to
-The main character of the last game you played is now your roommate for one year

these fanfic threads make me want to set my computer aflame

Yeah I'd planned on watching that movie, but there's been plenty of stories about the true subject matter of the game MASSIVE HER STORY SPOILERS
----------multiple personality disorder--------
MASSIVE HER STORY SPOILERS. I don't think it makes the game hacky at all.

Megasoum

Banned

I need to go back to that (I played an hour or so on saturday after buying it).... I'm not sure how to "finish" it tho...

I need to go back to that (I played an hour or so on saturday after buying it).... I'm not sure how to "finish" it tho...

You can effectively 100% it by unlocking all the videos (unless there's more to it that I haven't discovered), but there is a clear end-game cue at a certain point. You'll know it when you see it.

As someone who both shit their pants and vomited over themselves a few months ago when I had a horrible cause of the flu: vomit every time.

And it has nothing in common with the spoilered movie so I wouldn't worry about it. It deals with a very different disorder.

Megasoum

Banned
You can effectively 100% it by unlocking all the videos (unless there's more to it that I haven't discovered), but there is a clear end-game cue at a certain point. You'll know it when you see it.

All right.... I was running out of ideas of what to search.

Btw does the game has cloud saves? I could probably play it at work.

santeesioux

Not to go off topic from the shitting yourself topic, but absolutely go and watch some Hunter X Hunter, that's some good shit. It's like Naruto, except it doesn't suck.

My hot take on topics in this thread:

A. Vomiting or pants-shitting depends on the situation. I have an extreme phobia about vomiting, so vomiting once can mess me up for a week. So if I was just at home alone, I would much rather shit myself. However if I was out in public or with people I'd probably rather vomit since it's more acceptable in society.

B. I think the term "gamer" is a weird holdover from when video games were some taboo hobby that people were considered weird for being into. We don't have moviers or musicers, you just like music or movies because everyone does. I'd feel weird defining myself by one hobby, but more power to the people who want too.

Does anyone have a YouTube clip of Jeff's gamer rant at PAX a few years ago? That was great.

Ok I will definitely get round to playing that this week then, I was expecting it to be about 3 hours.

that's probably closer to the truth

I got the game over prompt after about an hour but I had only unlocked like 1/4 of the videos, I guess I just went down the right search routes

Megasoum

Banned

I got the game over prompt after about an hour but I had only unlocked like 1/4 of the videos, I guess I just went down the right search routes

Yeah I have waayyyy more than 1/4 of the videos unlocked and still not done. I have a couple of theories of what could have happened but I'm not sure how to get to them via the search terms.

FStop7

Banned
This trend in Gaming, i dont know if it started in reddit or if it's coming from the dark depths of gamefaqs (Copyright CBSi), I dont know what these things are called but shit like

-You have to face the last enemy you fought in a game
-You wake up next to the last videogame character you were attracted to
-The main character of the last game you played is now your roommate for one year

these fanfic threads make me want to set my computer aflame

4chan trash.

Far Cry 4 bird
Jack Frost
Ms. Pac-Man

Vomiting after eating half a gallon of ice cream feels great :p

The problem with pooping your pants is the kind of poop that goes along with it as an adult. Not pretty.

B. I think the term "gamer" is a weird holdover from when video games were some taboo hobby that people were considered weird for being into. We don't have moviers or musicers, you just like music or movies because everyone does. I'd feel weird defining myself by one hobby, but more power to the people who want too.

While I'm certainly not someone who holds the title "gamer" in any kind of sanctity, this argument has always been false to me. People who really love film, like myself, often refer to themselves as "film buffs" or "Cinephiles." People who read a lot refer to themselves as "bookworms," people who are really into metal are "metal heads."

Every group of "the core" in any medium has some kind of name for themselves.

Megasoum

Banned
While I'm certainly not someone who holds the title "gamer" in any kind of sanctity, this argument has always been false to me. People who really love film, like myself, often refer to themselves as "film buffs" or "Cinephiles." People who read a lot refer to themselves as "bookworms," people who are really into metal are "metal heads."

Exactly. I hate that it's somehow frowned upon to call yourself a gamer nowadays. Nothing wrong with being passionate about a specific subject.

I guess I'll spoiler tag this question just in case:
Is there a reason to continue searching for videos after you get the game over prompt? Beyond just wanting to know more details of the story.

Like I'd call myself a "simulationist" because I really love games that let you tske on specific roles and the responsibilities there-in, like a monster hunter or a T-55 commander or a chopper pilot, and I try to get people to at least check out that sorta stuff.

Cinephile, film buff, reader, etc. The reason you don't have moviers is because English doesn't work that way.

well I mean the term was effectively hijacked by some of the biggest shitheads in recent memory so it's not really that surprising that people are sour to the term

also I think defining yourself by what you like is something that you largely shed as you mature, so there's also that stigma

I guess I'll spoiler tag this question just in case:
Is there a reason to continue searching for videos after you get the game over prompt? Beyond just wanting to know more details of the story.

trophies and curiosity, I guess? all else fails you can always watch the videos directly from the game install folder

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like I'd call myself a "simulationist" because I really love games that let you tske on specific roles and the responsibilities there-in, like a monster hunter or a T-55 commander or a chopper pilot, and I try to get people to at least check out that sorta stuff.

I like to call myself a "stimulationist" because of well, y'know.

Since you brought up Jojo I hope that the west coast staff covers the next jojo game. I fear that Austin knowing too much about Jojo would take something away from that quick look. Like he would know what he's talking about or something

@DanRyckert
Came in to work today and found this on my desk. No idea where it's from but I love it.
CIsHsIMUcAA9--6.jpg:large

QLCrew keeps a chat log. Click on revisit the chat, but I don't know if the replay is exactly in sync.

http://qlcrew.com/?vid_type=live
That site is pretty cool.
What are you watching for the summer season?
The wait for S3 is real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBlWO4u6jk

It's always seemed like a way smaller subset of people who identify as that. But it's totally possible that's just because I follow gaming culture stuff more than movie culture or whatever.

Use it to watch gekkan shoujo, the actual best anime.
It has "shoujo" in the title.
post-25055-NOPE-not-doing-that-gif-S3vn.gif

Since you brought up Jojo I hope that the west coast staff covers the next jojo game. I fear that Austin knowing too much about Jojo would take something away from that quick look. Like he would know what he's talking about or something
Need my "Youtube comments taking their ignorance too seriously" fix every now and then.

Myggen

While it's true that there's similar terms for "gamer" when it comes to people who like movies and books, you generally won't see people who identify with the act of watching movies in the same way many people identify with games, or almost are defined by their own hobby. To the point that any percieved attack on the hobby is an attack on you personally. You also see that mentality in other parts of nerd culture, especially comic books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom