• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's completely right. Team games in general are suffering that problem. 10 years ago, if you found a free shooter you'd go crazy over it.(Anyone remember GunZ?). Now a days they're dime a dozen.

That's why i ranked Overwatch as the only one to make it out of the mud pit, simply because of the pedigree behind it. Gigantic I rank as a dark horse because Microsoft might heavily push it on their console and it's windows 10 exclusive(Maybe they'll market it with the software.). Battleborn, Battlecry....BB might get a push because it's the borderlands guys, BC will be dead on arrival.

the thing is they're all so different but at the same time so same-y

like, i like dirty bomb a lot, i feel like its shooting mechanics are exactly what i've been looking for in a game for a while. But I know it's not going to last at all or ever become huge just because of what it is.

And they dilute each other, too. Back when TF2 was new the hype was unbelievable, everyone was so in love with the game. Everyone played TF2. but now theres basically no hype around any of these, except for maybe Overwatch, because everyone's doing one. Or maybe im just jaded and don't get excited about things anymore!

Its almost getting to survival/crafting game levels of bad. And don't get me started on survival/crafting games, holy moly.

danm999

He's completely right. Team games in general are suffering that problem. 10 years ago, if you found a free shooter you'd go crazy over it.(Anyone remember GunZ?). Now a days they're dime a dozen.

That's why i ranked Overwatch as the only one to make it out of the mud pit, simply because of the pedigree behind it. Gigantic I rank as a dark horse because Microsoft might heavily push it on their console and it's windows 10 exclusive(Maybe they'll market it with the software.). Battleborn, Battlecry....BB might get a push because it's the borderlands guys, BC will be dead on arrival.

Didn't help BC looked poor at Bethesdas Conference either.

the thing is they're all so different but at the same time so same-y

like, i like dirty bomb a lot, i feel like its shooting mechanics are exactly what i've been looking for in a game for a while. But I know it's not going to last at all or ever become huge just because of what it is.

That's the other problem of it. Again, look at League of Legends.It inspired alot of knock off's and in general, alot of wanna-bes. What was that one, Infinite Crisis? The DC one? That one died a horrible death. The one EA was coming out with died a premature death. Heroes of Newerth tried to fill the DotA void, but DotA 2 came out and demolished it(Not to mention the internal problems of that studio.) Strife likewise.....where is that now.

Saturation of the market. That's the problem with these 'me too' games. Dirty Bomb..I suppose that's another one, but again that game isn't really out there. Don't know the scope they planned to have, but I doubt it'll end well.

Let me reel back a bit though. League of Legends, Smite, DotA 2. All of these 3 games offer something similar. Let's call League the progenitor to this whole MobA craze. Which makes Smite a bit of an anomaly, but that's because it's gameplay is substantially different but at the same time the same. They've enjoyed a bit of success, and the studio is/was relatively unknown(As far as I know that is.) Riot scored gold with League of Legends, they didn't expect it to become this big(As telling through how long they've taken to roll out standard features and how shoddy their engine originally was). DotA 2 has the weight of Valve behind them, as well as the fact that it is the origin of these types of game. If they had come out before League, it's very well possible that League would've failed.

So what's that have to do with Overwatch and friends? Timing and saturation. Whoever comes out first will likely have a lead. They'll probably retain a good playerbase because of saturation-it's players will look at these other games that are similar and feel no incentive to try them out since they look similar.

It'll be interesting to see when these games come out. Makes me wonder what other craze will come out after this.
Didn't help BC looked poor at Bethesdas Conference either.

I feel bad for them. I really do, it's obvious that the people working behind the game believe in it, but...it's not going to be able to stand. Not unless they're able to plug Fallout stuff into it.

danm999

I feel bad for them. I really do, it's obvious that the people working behind the game believe in it, but...it's not going to be able to stand. Not unless they're able to plug Fallout stuff into it.

I get the sense there must be many small subsidiary developers who want to do one thing but their parent company is like "GENRE X IS HOT KID, WE COULD MAKE A MINT".

Doesn't help that Besthesda's strategy as a studio seems too often to be aping whatever Blizzard was doing a few years ago.

I get the sense there must be many small subsidiary developers who want to do one thing but their parent company is like "GENRE X IS HOT KID, WE COULD MAKE A MINT".

Doesn't help that Besthesda's strategy as a studio seems to often to be aping whatever Blizzard was doing a few years ago.

Oh my god I just remembered their stupid card game. Like....that's another over saturated market. Hearthstone won, Bethesda, pack up your shit and go home.

Oh my god I just remembered their stupid card game. Like....that's another over saturated market. Hearthstone won, Bethesda, pack up your shit and go home.
Trying to cash in on the MMO market worked out so well for them so it makes sense that they would try and get some of that TGC money.

Quentyn

Anybody remembers that Crytek Moba? Wonder if that ever will come out. That game has probably the worst character design I have ever seen in a game. Looks straight up awful.

1400762959-arena-of-fate.jpg

Don't have much hope for Battlecry or Battleborn, but I think Overwatch will be fine. It will have a long beta and Blizzard, like usual, will iterate like crazy until they get it right.

On the topic of card games, it seems like bethesda is under the delusion that people will come to the elder scrolls TCG game because of lore

like, do you think most of hearthstone's playerbase cares about lore? what percentage of them do you think even played WoW in a hardcore way?

Trying to cash in on the MMO market worked out so well for them so it makes sense that they would try and get some of that TGC money.

Yeah....Bethesda has to try I suppose, because they already doubled down by suing Majong.

On the topic of card games, it seems like bethesda is under the delusion that people will come to the elder scrolls TCG game because of lore

like, do you think most of hearthstone's playerbase cares about lore? what percentage of them do you think even played WoW in a hardcore way?

I think Hearthstone succeeded because of a few factors-
1-There was no online game like it. Sure you had magic online, but those games are a bit horrid.
2-The presentation of the game. It's a damn nice game to look at, and they can pull from WoW quite easily-I'm pretty sure the majority of dialogue the cards have are from WoW itself, there are some newly recorded lines(For example Ragnaros/Nefarion).
3-It's simple and intuitive to play. And again you have the pedigree behind it.

Bethesdas card game, like battlecry, are destined to fail.

Anybody remembers that Crytek Moba? Wonder if that ever will come out. That game has probably the worst character design I have ever seen in a game. Looks straight up awful.

Don't have much hope for Battlecry or Battleborn, but I think Overwatch will be fine. It will have a long beta and Blizzard, like usual, will iterate like crazy until they get it right.

Oh fucks sake I remember this, kinda not really.

Joeku

There are enough actual people and characters in Giant Bomb's library to make a MOBA. Just sayin'.

Dr. Tracksuit OP pls rebalance

Yeah....Bethesda has to try I suppose, because they already doubled down by suing Majong.

I think Hearthstone succeeded because of a few factors-
1-There was no online game like it. Sure you had magic online, but those games are a bit horrid.
2-The presentation of the game. It's a damn nice game to look at, and they can pull from WoW quite easily-I'm pretty sure the majority of dialogue the cards have are from WoW itself, there are some newly recorded lines(For example Ragnaros/Nefarion).
3-It's simple and intuitive to play. And again you have the pedigree behind it.

Bethesdas card game, like battlecry, are destined to fail.

It's like, nobody is going to topple league of legends, barring a massive fuckup by riot. nobody is going to topple hearthstone. And I think TF2 is dying off, so someone has to step up and take its place right now, and that game is probably going to be overwatch.

Dota is able to compete in the MOBA market because A) dota is the OG and B) valve software. that's it. You have to really nail the hype cycle nowadays in this industry to be the huge online game that everyone is playing.

Maybe it's the difference between GAF and other forums, but I remember back when TF2 came out the penny arcade forums were allll about it. Basically everyone on there played TF2. The only games you really see have communities like that on GAF are DOTA and League, and the league community thread isn't really that big as far as numbers go (which we both know).

I guess this is getting into more of a personal thing than an industry thing, but I feel like none of the games I play are amassing that "holy shit this is awesome and everyone is playing it" feeling that Tf2 did, at least on GAF. So when I say "you have to nail the hype cycle" I guess I mean "I want someone to nail the hype cycle and also have it be a game I want to play"

It's like, nobody is going to topple league of legends, barring a massive fuckup by riot. nobody is going to topple hearthstone. And I think TF2 is dying off, so someone has to step up and take its place right now, and that game is probably going to be overwatch.

Dota is able to compete in the MOBA market because A) dota is the OG and B) valve software. that's it. You have to really nail the hype cycle nowadays in this industry to be the huge online game that everyone is playing.

Maybe it's the difference between GAF and other forums, but I remember back when TF2 came out the penny arcade forums were allll about it. Basically everyone on there played TF2. The only games you really see have communities like that on GAF are DOTA and League, and the league community thread isn't really that big as far as numbers go (which we both know).

I guess this is getting into more of a personal thing than an industry thing, but I feel like none of the games I play are amassing that "holy shit this is awesome and everyone is playing it" feeling that Tf2 did, at least on GAF. So when I say "you have to nail the hype cycle" I guess I mean "I want someone to nail the hype cycle and also have it be a game I want to play"

The League thread is pretty dead. I think that's because the audience who plays League mostly browses Reddit or whatever. I mean, I couldn't tell you why the DotA and League threads are night and day in terms of how many people post in each. maybe it's because DotA is an older game and GAF has an older audience, so alot of people stuck to that instead of moving over to League. I'm sure if we polled both communities for their ages, that is what would be revealed...an age difference.

The League thread is pretty dead. I think that's because the audience who plays League mostly browses Reddit or whatever. I mean, I couldn't tell you why the DotA and League threads are night and day in terms of how many people post in each. maybe it's because DotA is an older game and GAF has an older audience, so alot of people stuck to that instead of moving over to League. I'm sure if we polled both communities for their ages, that is what would be revealed...an age difference.

It's probably the age thing, you're right. GAF has had, ever since I've been paying attention, at least, a pretty large dota bias, at least on the gaming side. And yeah, reddit is league HQ for sure, but it's not like dota is dead over there.

GAF definitely gives the impression that it skews older but I feel like I also see a lot of people mention that theyre 18 or 19 or whatever but that's probably just a confirmation bias or something. I've always felt pretty young on GAF but I got my account when I was in high school and im 22 now

edit: and another thing, I think people who play dota just like talking about dota more than people who play league like talking about league, and that's probably down to the league audience being so widespread

edit2: destiny, I forgot about destiny. it's got that large gaf community and people are pretty into it. but its not on PC so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh man, maybe brad is the key to which games are gonna have that hype cycle. hope brad gets into overwatch or somethin.

It's probably the age thing, you're right. GAF has had, ever since I've been paying attention, at least, a pretty large dota bias, at least on the gaming side. And yeah, reddit is league HQ for sure, but it's not like dota is dead over there.

GAF definitely gives the impression that it skews older but I feel like I also see a lot of people mention that theyre 18 or 19 or whatever but that's probably just a confirmation bias or something. I've always felt pretty young on GAF but I got my account when I was in high school and im 22 now

edit: and another thing, I think people who play dota just like talking about dota more than people who play league like talking about league, and that's probably down to the league audience being so widespread

Yeah, you're probably right on that point as well. League is separated in terms of community, DotA....Reddit and GAF is what I mostly see. It's definitely an age thing overall though. When I started League....Was about 2010 actually. I never played Warcraft or it's custom games. I figure that's true for the majority of the League community.

You mentioned Destiny...I'd say that has alot of factors behind it. The Pedigree, the 'promise' of it(Funnily enough I'm part of that community as well.), the reward cycles within the game....

....But not to bash them or anything, but the thread is filled with more 'Looking For X for X' than actual discussion of the game. For every 5 posts discussing the game, you get a good 10 posts looking to do something or asking for someone to do this or that.

Xater

Over watch is nothing like those games. It's just a team based shooter like TF2.

Haunted

In my personal experience, the lol crowd does skew younger, but maybe it's just so huge that it encompasses every demographic, including kids. Personal anecdote: I'm intermittently coaching some kids (10-14) in a local sports club and they're basically all playing league.

I actually didn't remember that announcement. So many copycats that are sent to die...

Overwatch is Team Fortress, Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's moba.

danm999

Just finished listening to Austin's interview with the Her Story guy and it was pretty good. I didn't realise that guy had a background with Silent Hill but it sort of makes sense having heard all that now.

And the meet up where the guy who voices Geralt of Rivia reading in that voice his text adventure game that takes place in a supermarket sounds amazing.

Quentyn

Over watch is nothing like those games. It's just a team based shooter like TF2.

I actually didn't remember that announcement. So many copycats that are sent to die...

Overwatch is Team Fortress, Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's moba.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they are all mobas. I know that Overwatch is more similar to Team Fortress. I think Battlecry is too. I was just comparing them on more general terms.

Overwatch looks really great though. Just looked at it again and they a have really nice website that shows all the characters. Looks like it will be playable at Gamescom too. Can't wait to try it.

Yeah, you're probably right on that point as well. League is separated in terms of community, DotA....Reddit and GAF is what I mostly see. It's definitely an age thing overall though. When I started League....Was about 2010 actually. I never played Warcraft or it's custom games. I figure that's true for the majority of the League community.

You mentioned Destiny...I'd say that has alot of factors behind it. The Pedigree, the 'promise' of it(Funnily enough I'm part of that community as well.), the reward cycles within the game....

....But not to bash them or anything, but the thread is filled with more 'Looking For X for X' than actual discussion of the game. For every 5 posts discussing the game, you get a good 10 posts looking to do something or asking for someone to do this or that.

Well, that's part of what makes those communities. They're full of people just playing with each other

i crave it

at least, what, another three or four months off?
I think just under three months, it should be worth the wait just to see the reactions to Kanji's dancing.
I hope it's a Vinny/Alex QL, especially since Alex is playing P4G.
Nah it should be Vinny and Jeff, it's the perfect dumb goodbye to the cast of P4 so it would be great to get one more Jeff and Vinny quicklook before we move past P4.

Quentyn

Destiny thread would be way less active if there was proper matchmaking or social options in that game.

It blows my mind that they still haven't implemented matchmaking for all modes in this game. Even the new horde mode only has matchmaking on the first level. Is the higher level horde mode so different that it can only be done with a group? Same thing with the Nightfall. Isn't that just the same strikes with higher level enemies?

I kinda understand it for the raids, but they still should give people the option there. I looked at a Destiny LFG site recently and there are like five new posts every second or so, so there is clearly a demand there.

It is is a shame, because I would be all over that game if it weren't for that, probably would even bought a console for it. Maybe with Destiny 2 they will get it right.

Gowans

Listening to the latest Beastcast - I really like Austin, but he has to let Vinny and Alex talk a bit more (Vinny especially). Kept cutting him off/talking over him. Probably just a little overexcited, which is fine, but gets a little bit annoying sometimes.
I'm listening now and it's driving me nuts!

On the subject of communities, the Monster Hunter thread usually has posts with people looking for games, but it has matchmaking and a pretty good one at that. It's just that I'd rather play with people I can trust to not fuck up.

Xater

It blows my mind that they still haven't implemented matchmaking for all modes in this game. Even the new horde mode only has matchmaking on the first level. Is the higher level horde mode so different that it can only be done with a group? Same thing with the Nightfall. Isn't that just the same strikes with higher level enemies?

I kinda understand it for the raids, but they still should give people the option there. I looked at a Destiny LFG site recently and there are like five new posts every second or so, so there is clearly a demand there.

It is is a shame, because I would be all over that game if it weren't for that, probably would even bought a console for it. Maybe with Destiny 2 they will get it right.

Also Destiny has so little content, which means people played all that stuff so often already. Do they really think they can't handle it in a random group?

FluxWaveZ

I can't wait to see a Persona 4: Dancing all Night quicklook, I need to see Vinny and Jeff's reactions to this game.

Wouldn't they not do one because it's a Vita game? I guess it could be an exception.

I think every Persona game past 4 has been a Jeff/Vinny joint at least (Someone else also sat in on the Ultimax one I think?)

Ultimax was Jeff and Jason.

Even more so than Persona Q, if there was any appropriate team for a P4D Quick Look, it would have to be Jeff and Vinny, or at least one of them.

For that Persona game why don't they do one of those cross country quick looks like with that Dirt(?) game which worked out perfectly and seamlessly and was a super rad idea to get some diverse matchups of people in the quick looks?

Oh wait because they did it once and then never again, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom