• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CEhJ7iTWgAAhuMX.png:large

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just catching the start of UPF now, I feel like I just waited for Jeff to looked startled and say "Hello it's Friday" for ten solid minutes to end any one of those discussions. Can we put today's UPF on the Late Title Card page? Can we get a title card for Jeff's "This bullshit has to end" look at the camera?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Every time Jeff mentions Marvel Heroes I contemplate playing it, I don't feel good about this.

Marvel Heroes is a very solid Diablo style game and you can spend zero dollars and get everything you need out of it.

Well, except stash space. I stopped playing because I didn't want to buy a third inventory page and couldn't reasonably play any new heroes.

KingKong

Marvel Heroes is a very solid Diablo style game and you can spend zero dollars and get everything you need out of it.

Well, except stash space. I stopped playing because I didn't want to buy a third inventory page and couldn't reasonably play any new heroes.

ok but I don't get its appeal to Jeff considering he doesn't seem to be into Marvel at all. why not just play any other better Diablo style game, like say Diablo

The talk of Marvel Heroes and me going to try it out has just made me want to give Diablo 3 another chance, then I say neh and go on to something else.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ok but I don't get its appeal to Jeff considering he doesn't seem to be into Marvel at all. why not just play any other better Diablo style game, like say Diablo

Diablo 3 is better the first time through, but Marvel has some excellent additions to the genre that make repeat playing and leveling of characters a lot less of a chore. Adventure mode is very nice, but there are just a lot more options in Marvel. There are endless dungeons with bosses constantly spawning around the map and players jumping into the instance so you can play without friends but always have other players around to join in larger fights, two different horde-mode style wave based survival modes, and raids. There are also like fifty character classes so you can always have variety.

Marvel Heroes is a really good game. It's got problems and some of them are influenced by the F2P nature of the game, but they've also been adding a lot of things to the game to keep people playing it.

Xeteh

Diablo 3 is better the first time through, but Marvel has some excellent additions to the genre that make repeat playing and leveling of characters a lot less of a chore. Adventure mode is very nice, but there are just a lot more options in Marvel. There are endless dungeons with bosses constantly spawning around the map and players jumping into the instance so you can play without friends but always have other players around to join in larger fights, two different horde-mode style wave based survival modes, and raids. There are also like fifty character classes so you can always have variety.

How is unlocking new heroes in Marvel now? I tried it out and kind of lost interest really quickly because I was not interested in any of the choices I had. I'm still kind of curious to give it a go.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
How is unlocking new heroes in Marvel now? I tried it out and kind of lost interest really quickly because I was not interested in any of the choices I had. I'm still kind of curious to give it a go.

It's still a slog. You essentially get one free random hero for completing the story with your first one, or you can save up splinters to unlock specific characters. It takes a long time to unlock the more expensive heroes though.

They've also given free random hero tokens occasionally through promo codes or special events. I think they are having a sale for a free random hero with money purchase of any hero right now too, but you can get a duplicate in those random boxes which just makes your ultimate ability stronger and really just sucks in general. Duplicate randoms with only expensive heroes left actually contributed to me putting the game down too.

Might actually jump back in though, they've added a lot since I was playing last year.

I don't doubt that it's a solid game but I've got so many games that scratch that loot grind itch that I don't really need another.

Xeteh

It's still a slog. You essentially get one free random hero for completing the story with your first one, or you can save up splinters to unlock specific characters. It takes a long time to unlock the more expensive heroes though.

Ah okay. Maybe I'll give it a try either way and see how it goes. Can you find character unlocks as drops or is it just the splinters?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ah okay. Maybe I'll give it a try either way and see how it goes. Can you find character unlocks as drops or is it just the splinters?

No, I think they dropped in beta but by the time I started playing they took out drops for costumes and heroes.

Liamc723

So Jeff is like me, I just don't care about superhero stories.

I saw the latest Avengers film with my family and that was decent, I guess.

The Daredevil Netflix series encouraged me to venture into the deep, dark hole of digital comics. Mainly got some Daredevil, Batman and The Punisher stuff. I'm more of a fan of the realistic stuff rather than overtly super-hero characters.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just turned this on but why is Ghost Rider wearing a US Agent costume? what game is this?

Marvel Heroes, the flame effect is from an item drop, it's Captain America wearing a US Agent costume.

Ghost Rider can wear a fantastic four costume or be a lady though.

edit: Mentioning Gazillian also reminds me, David Brevik is behind this game. He's had a few misses too, but I'll still always try one of these games if it's made by the people responsible for the first two Diablos. If you invented a genre, I'll stick around to see what your future ideas are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom