• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff's opinion of Brock Lesnar is hilarious. He might literally be the most terrifying man on the planet. He spends his spare time killing the few things on land that are larger than him. He decided on a lark to pick up punching other huge men in the face for a living and became the best in the world at that for a little while. And that's all aside from the way that he's the one thing WWE hasn't screwed up over the past 18 months (longer I'm sure, but that's when I started watching). But Jeff thinks his face looks funny so he can't take him seriously.

Watch Brock's interview on Opie & Anthony. They talk about how he doesn't have a phone or internet in his home, so it's like Dana or Heyman has to go into the Canadian wildlands and just start looking for him.

santeesioux

Watch Brock's interview on Opie & Anthony. They talk about how he doesn't have a phone or internet in his home, so it's like Dana or Heyman has to go into the Canadian wildlands and just start looking for him.

Who would admit to listening to those guys on this site?
lol

Jeff's opinion of Brock Lesnar is hilarious. He might literally be the most terrifying man on the planet. He spends his spare time killing the few things on land that are larger than him. He decided on a lark to pick up punching other huge men in the face for a living and became the best in the world at that for a little while. And that's all aside from the way that he's the one thing WWE hasn't screwed up over the past 18 months (longer I'm sure, but that's when I started watching). But Jeff thinks his face looks funny so he can't take him seriously.

Oh man he shoots deer? Who could possibly compete with such a badass.

So good.
nintendo_puppets_1.0.gif

hamchan

I think everyone has been saying for a long time, "We love Cena the man, hate Cena the character".

He's a brilliant wrestler and has been the face of the company, carrying it, for a very long time now. I don't blame the man at all for WWE's shitty writing and not letting him pull out more moves, which he can obviously do well judging by his recent matches.

Rainmaker

Banned
After a year of hearing Dan rave about it, I still don't understand the appeal of wrestling. Are the stories good? What about the fights?

WWE and a lot of wrestling is for the most part really bad when it comes to storytelling but when it's good it is my favorite thing in the world. Wrestling is full of great matches. There's so many places to look for that.

Frenden

Banned
I appreciate the campy ridiculousness of wrestling. I gave it a solid shot after the Power Bombcast started. The meta narrative of how well the company is handling its roster of storylines and characters is more interesting than the actual stories, though.

When I realized the most rewarding part of consuming wrestling was the resulting schadenfreude, I decided to stop watching.

What ever happened to the video series where GBEast plays bad games? They did the inaugural ep during the Big Live Live Show with Blackwater, then nothing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While I don't like wrestling at all I always found the argument about stuff being for kids as the most distasteful sort of argument that says nothing really.

CS Lewis said:
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Wunder

While I don't like wrestling at all I always found the argument about stuff being for kids as the most distasteful sort of argument that says nothing really.

wasnt cs lewis the narnia guy

what does he know about being an adult

dan's written books about cool adult stuff, like alligators

Good to know I chose correctly when I spent my youth watching anime instead of wrestling.

I love CS Lewis. That's such a great quote.

Sure, but I don't think it applies in this case. People are saying wrestling is for children because it's terrible, not that wrestling is childish.

Jintor

Why? Does it have any overall messages with which you disagree morally? I'm Christian so it's hard for me to be objective about it.

I mean, I realise all texts are unavoidably imbued with the attitudes, morals, values etc of their authors in some way or another, but it's just kind of irritating to me in the same way you might be irritated by, let's say, propaganda.

Perhaps to be more accurate about my feelings, I should state I read Narnia as a kid and loved it then went back to it when I was older and had a "Hey wait a minute..." moment and felt like I'd been lied to or tricked in some way.

Brashnir

While I'm sympathetic to this argument and try to find child-like joy myself from time to time, my assessment of Dan as a 9-year-old who can vote goes way deeper than simply his love for wrestling.

If we're talking about wrestling and its coolness and you haven't mentioned New Japan Pro Wrestling or Lucha Underground, you're actively enforcing an inherently bullshit standard to judge the medium by.

Lucha Underground the best show on all of television.

NJPW consistently has the best wrestling the world's ever witnessed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah man, pretty sure masterchef australia is the best show on TV. *

*as in it's the only show I watch on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom