• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The legs look like they have less armour, so simply based on what games have told us in the past, the legs look like the right place to shoot.

Zaph

Dunno why, but I really like when scifi movies and games find a conceit to make robots 'bleed', like needing red coloured hydraulic fluid, having organic parts etc. It's great.

Related, eXistenZ is a fantastic movie.

Xater

This is for Brad asking who those die hard Rare fans were:

They were the people that only owned a N64. I knew people like that. They were weird. The thing Jeff described with Jet Force happened to me with Perfect Dark. Friends flipped out over it and I could only shake my head having played PC FPS games at the time.

There's non-B-tier Cronenberg??

SSS-tier
Videodrome

S-tier
Naked Lunch
Dead Ringers

A-tier
Shivers
Rabid
Eastern Promises

B-tier
The Brood
Scanners
The Fly
eXistenZ
A History of Violence (S-tier until it kind of falls apart in the last half hour)

C-tier
The Dead Zone
Crash

D-tier
Spider
Cosmopolis

E-tier
Fast Company

that's just the ones I've seen

The thing Jeff described with Jet Force happened to me with Perfect Dark. Friends flipped out over it and I could only shake my head having played PC FPS games at the time.

I loved both Quake and Perfect Dark. they're very different games. it's not that hard to figure out.

Myggen

This is for Brad asking who those die hard Rare fans were:

They were the people that only owned a N64. I knew people like that. They were weird. The thing Jeff described with Jet Force happened to me with Perfect Dark. Friends flipped out over it and I could only shake my head having played PC FPS games at the time.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the most hardcore Rare fans grew up with a N64. I grew up with a N64 and loved GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but was never a huge fan of the other Rare titles on that platform. Both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have aged as terribly as all other console FPS games from that era, so I don't think I'm a big fan of any Rare games on that platform now. Still a lot of nostalgia for especially GoldenEye, but going back to that game a couple of years ago was a harsh experience.

One of my big problems with Rare games of that era was the framerate, which was pretty horrible across the board. I think the N64 is the console that has aged the worst for me, and I haven't dared going back to Ocarina because I've been so disappointed by almost every N64 I've played as an adult.

Both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have aged as terribly as all other console FPS games from that era, so I don't think I'm a big fan of any Rare games on that platform now.

even the remaster? I thought giving it non-shit controls and a decent framerate made it a pretty enjoyable game to revisit.

Myggen

even the remaster? I thought giving it non-shit controls and a decent framerate made it a pretty enjoyable game to revisit.

The remaster was decent, but nothing more. But I'm more talking about going back to the N64 versions. Remasters at least fix the performance problems of almost every N64 game, so there's that.

repeater

I think the N64 is the console that has aged the worst for me, and I haven't dared going back to Ocarina because I've been so disappointed by almost every N64 I've played as an adult.
If you have a 3DS the Ocarina remake is great and now pretty much unanimously (I think?) considered the definitive version of that game.

Xater

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the most hardcore Rare fans grew up with a N64. I grew up with a N64 and loved GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but was never a huge fan of the other Rare titles on that platform. Both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have aged as terribly as all other console FPS games from that era, so I don't think I'm a big fan of any Rare games on that platform now. Still a lot of nostalgia for especially GoldenEye, but going back to that game a couple of years ago was a harsh experience.

One of my big problems with Rare games of that era was the framerate, which was pretty horrible across the board. I think the N64 is the console that has aged the worst for me, and I haven't dared going back to Ocarina because I've been so disappointed by almost every N64 I've played as an adult.

Back then I had a N64 a PC and a PSX. So yeah I wasn't as in love with some f the Rare stuff as the friends I mentioned before. I'm with you on the frame rate. It basically kills any enjoyment I might have going back to even the best N64 games.

If you have a 3DS the Ocarina remake is great and now pretty much unanimously (I think?) considered the definitive version of that game.

like with everything there are some pedants that will complain about the colors or textures or something but they're stupid. it's the best version.

Myggen

Yeah, if I'm gonna go back to Ocarina at some point it's gonna be that version. But I considered that game virtually perfect at the time so I'm not sure if I dare to even go back to that version. I've been scarred by my experience with N64 games that I once loved :p

Back then I had a N64 a PC and a PSX. So yeah I wasn't as in love with some f the Rare stuff as the friends I mentioned before. I'm with you on the frame rate. It basically kills any enjoyment I might have going back to even the best N64 games.

The performance is part of the reason why people saying they prefer DK64 or Banjo-Kazooie to Mario64 is the biggest "WTF?!" opinion in gaming to me.

Brad didn't know conker was an n64 game wtf
They all have weird opinions on Rare N64 games that they've admitted they played for a few minutes.

Oh my god, so much nonsense in this quick look. Grabbed by The Ghoulies didn't come out on PC.

Edit: And lol at Jeff's defense of Grabbed by saying people didn't like it because of googly eyes. It got mediocre response because of the brain dead gameplay compared to their N64 games which you didn't play.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
going back to original oot and yeah the framerate is shittttt but it's still a perfect game

I wish I had a 3ds and a copy of the new version

repeater

like with everything there are some pedants that will complain about the colors or textures or something but they're stupid. it's the best version.
I haven't played the Majora's Mask and Wind Waker remakes, but from what I've heard Nintendo have taken the right approach to these games, trying to make them faithful to how you nostalgically remember the games as wholes, rather than being anal about every single thing mapping one-to-one from old to new version.

Also, that's a pretty solid Cronenberg ranking. I'd maybe drop "A History of Violence" down a peg and raise "Naked Lunch" by one.

dHkM8aD.png

I feel bad knowing what Jeff's referencing here.

Also, that's a pretty solid Cronenberg ranking. I'd maybe drop "A History of Violence" down a peg and raise "Naked Lunch" by one.

the first 45-50 minutes of History are so goddamn tense and perfect though. if it didn't disintegrate in the back half it would be a classic. I give it credit for being at least partially awesome. same goes for Sunshine; I don't let the crummy ending ruin what is one of the best 80 minutes or so of film of the last decade.

Reasonable opinion of Naked Lunch, fwiw

also CMS-chan is failing me on the Rare QL making it to youtube. the GB player doesn't work on this network.

They all have weird opinions on Rare N64 games that they've admitted they played for a few minutes.

Oh my god, so much nonsense in this quick look. Grabbed by The Ghoulies didn't come out on PC.

Edit: And lol at Jeff's defense of Grabbed by saying people didn't like it because of googly eyes. It got mediocre response because of the brain dead gameplay compared to their N64 games which you didn't play.

Hey

It's ok

Sometimes people can be wrong.

I got to the Snake Rattle N Roll part this morning before i had to go to work. Man, Rare was great at reusing the shit out of their assets during the Spectrum days hah

repeater

the first 45-50 minutes of History are so goddamn tense and perfect though. if it didn't disintegrate in the back half it would be a classic. I give it credit for being at least partially awesome. same goes for Sunshine; I don't let the crummy ending ruin what is one of the best 80 minutes or so of film of the last decade.
It's a well crafted piece of cinema, for the most part. I guess it's just not what I want out of a Cronenberg film and I feel his uniqueness is somewhat wasted on that kind of project.

I got to the Snake Rattle N Roll part this morning before i had to go to work. Man, Rare was great at reusing the shit out of their assets during the Spectrum days hah
Haha, yeah, that was my reaction to the string of Spectrum games there too!

Wow, it seems I really don't like Rare games apart from Perfect Dar and dicking around in Nuts & Bolts.

to be fair to rare, some of their better games arent in this package due to issues with nintendo/licensing. Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, the DKC SNES games, KI 1 & 2 (they're on the Xbox store, just not in this package), and hell even Star Fox Adventures is a pretty good Zelda clone. Oh, and the Wizards and Warriors games on the nes.

But i suppose that also means we don't have their shitty licensed nes games either, like Nightmare on Elm Street. So sometimes less is more

i still can't believe that Kojima pulled the 1000-year-old-dragon trope with Paz to make the sleezy stuff in Peace Walker more palatable. If you have to make excuses for trying to objectify an underage character maybe that's a sign that you shouldn't have made the character an underage girl in the first place.

to be fair to rare, some of their better games arent in this package due to issues with nintendo/licensing. Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, the DKC SNES games, KI 1 & 2 (they're on the Xbox store, just not in this package), and hell even Star Fox Adventures is a pretty good Zelda clone. Oh, and the Wizards and Warriors games on the nes.

But i suppose that also means we don't have their shitty licensed nes games either, like Nightmare on Elm Street. So sometimes less is more

Star Fox Adventures is probably my favorite Rare game, outside of maybe Viva Piniata. I know I'm in the rare minority, but I loved Star Fox Adventures for some reason.

Teddified

It's weird to watch a conference that I have no interest in it just because some people are commenting over it....but here I am waiting for it.

I'm hoping for some at least interesting stuff to happen but it probably wont be as good as the sony camera man from that one Gamescom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom