• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Don't follow Dota or play it but have been watching The International just due to money and coverage. Like a casual soccer fan watches the World Cup. Game is way too complex for me though, but, I get at least some of the concepts.

Have you been watching the newcomer stream? They try to explain everything as though it's the viewer's first time with the game, explaining hero abilities, items, and a bit of the decision making process. Watching the runup to the first International was how I got into Dota, back when they were doing that for every stream.

If Brad can keep this under 45 minutes, it's fine. We get tons of boring games on UPF. Just because this is popular doesn't mean it's necessarily worse than watching other boring things. And right on cue, they're moving on.

TraBuch

Banned
If Brad can keep this under 45 minutes, it's fine. We get tons of boring games on UPF. Just because this is popular doesn't mean it's necessarily worse than watching other boring things. And right on cue, they're moving on.

Boring games that we haven't seen a thousand fucking times already.

jgminto

Swindle is a neat idea but the format does the game no favours. None of the randomness of actual roguelikes but it expects you to play through the entire thing over and over. So you're basically just playing a regular campaign with poorly generated levels.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Who's the coolest archer and why? Do any of them have an ability where they shoot up in the air and then a rain of arrows fall in an area? I'm a big fan of that kind of thing.

No, but there is a hero who can call on invisible archers off-screen Assassin's Creed Brotherhood style to fire a volley of arrows in a circle. She uses a sort of lance/axe thing to smack people around herself though.

Drow Ranger is the coolest, because she slows people with ice arrows and I like easy puns.

Swindle is a neat idea but the format does the game no favours. None of the randomness of actual roguelikes. So you're basically just playing a regular campaign with poorly generated levels.
It's mark of the ninja meets rogue legacy. Two great games mashed together can't be bad. And the swindle looks alright to me.

Roguelike, occasionally buggy stealth seems like the worst thing ever.

Edit: I don't think I've ever played a roguelike other than Toe Jam and Earl and even that I typically played on fixed mode.

Have you been watching the newcomer stream? They try to explain everything as though it's the viewer's first time with the game, explaining hero abilities, items, and a bit of the decision making process. Watching the runup to the first International was how I got into Dota, back when they were doing that for every stream.

Yeah I watched that last year. But I think it's only for the first series this year and I've been at work. Maybe I'll go find the archives.

I got as far as trying some games after last year but flamed out. Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

Doop

Who's the coolest archer and why? Do any of them have an ability where they shoot up in the air and then a rain of arrows fall in an area? I'm a big fan of that kind of thing.

The skeleton archer can turn invisible and shoot flaming arrows, the blue archer can blow a bunch of snow to silence people, and shoot frost arrows. The green archer lady can shoot a ton of arrows really fast. There's an archer that rides a giant cat that can call down falling stars around her, which is kind of like shooting a bunch in the air.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The skeleton archer can turn invisible and shoot flaming arrows, the blue archer can blow a bunch of snow to silence people, and shoot frost arrows. The green archer lady can shoot a ton of arrows really fast. There's an archer that rides a giant cat that can call down falling stars around her, which is kind of like shooting a bunch in the air.

I can't believe I forgot about the archer who has the ability known mostly as "arrow".

jgminto

It's mark of the ninja meets rogue legacy. Two great games mashed together can't be bad. And the swindle looks alright to me.

With Mark of the Ninja you're getting crafted, designed levels built around taking out the targets in different ways.

With Rogue Legacy, each time you play the game you can get a completely different character that changes how you will approach the game.

The Swindle has neither of these. I did enjoy the late game because of how interesting the abilities are but it ends up being fun in spite of the format.

I feel Rorie on that shadow complex save file issue. I lent my brother my 360 and he played through it on my profile by mistake. So when I went to play it myself further down the line, I had to make another profile just to play a clean save.

Also, it kinda runs like ass on the xb1 but they're still working out the kinks in BC so I'll let it slide for now.

jgminto

Dan is probably going to run into the situation where he doesn't have enough bombs to finish the level.

edit: fyi, you CAN'T steal the Basilisk once the alarm as triggered or before disabling all the security.

Shadow Complex is such a great game. My Xbox gamer picture is still one I got from a Shadow Complex achievement. And it probably always will be unless I get back onto Xbox.

012b3e48a14fdcfd8c5ab594d2a82ff5.png

Don't follow Dota or play it but have been watching The International just due to money and coverage. Like a casual soccer fan watches the World Cup. Game is way too complex for me though, but, I get at least some of the concepts.
Newcomer stream!
Getting a small lead steadily into a larger unrecoverable lead. Like how in cartoons a small ball of snow rolls down a hill and gets bigger and bigger.
Sniper and legion commander have abilities that do literally that.

They're not archers though.

Also windrunner is the best archer cause she can be a poor support or a farming carry and anything in between. Super versatile.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
2v2 ranked is where it's at

Though I did have two quit in a row tonight

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is Steve Martin's best movie.
Nah gotta be Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

[EDIT - The fact the announcer says 'FIGHT!' but the screen text says 'ENGAGE' is a bit jarring.

Otherwise, it looks solid. I like the stylised, stilted animation, it works I think.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom