• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so emblematic of the sale in general, Twin. And that particular deal they thought was so impressive they've featured that banner on the front page all fucking day.

daydream

Banned
2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

i like to hear this counterpart, lol

the usage of waifu by non-japanese almost certainly originated from Azumanga Daioh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AgDbAT56I0

it became a minor meme that then spread far beyond its original scope

now if you're asking about other words that are used like that, in a lot of cases it's because the words used by the japanese aren't butchered english; they're what are called "wasei-eigo" (literally "japanese made english,"/ loan words) that have in many cases evolved to mean something different from their original meaning

but then there's other times where using the japanese version of the word is just way more descriptive; there are pretty distinct differences between japanese conbini and western convenience stores, even though you could also accurately call the japanese ones that as well.

daydream

Banned
the usage of waifu by non-japanese almost certainly originated from Azumanga Daioh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AgDbAT56I0

it became a minor meme that then spread far beyond its original scope

now if you're asking about other words that are used like that, in a lot of cases it's because the words used by the japanese aren't butchered english; they're what are called "wasei-eigo" (literally "japanese made english,"/ loan words) that have in many cases evolved to mean something different from their original meaning

but then there's other times where using the japanese version of the word is just way more descriptive; there are pretty distinct differences between japanese conbini and western convenience stores, even though you could also accurately call the japanese ones that as well.

my point is that there's no " traditional" english counterpart to waifu, with the same history and the dumb connotations and that's why nobody says "wife" instead, that'd be super extra weird, in fact

typing on a touchscreen still suuuuucks

my point is that there's no " traditional" english counterpart to waifu, with the same history and the dumb connotations and that's why nobody says "wife" instead, that'd be super extra weird, in fact

typing on a touchscreen still suuuuucks

well i also quoted the wrong post so i mean we are all fail

heck, "hentai" is an opposite example of a loan word that doesn't mean what it "should" mean. it's an adjective in japanese, in english it's a noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom