• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should have no trouble beating it today. He's already on the last level and if they figure out the right weapon to use, the last boss (all three forms of it) is a pushover.

hamchan

At least Super Castlevania IV won't break Vinny. Actually, a more chill time in IV is necessary after how much a nightmare III turned out to be.

Would Soma be a good game for a GBeast playdate? I still think Witcher 3 would be a good one, if Vinny hasnt finished it

Do you want the playdates to go until next year with Witcher? That's about the worst choice imaginable unless they didn't do any sidequest stuff.

Soma would work pretty well, that's a shorter game, although I worry about Austin and him interjecting at times.

TLoU multiplayer is legit one of my favorite multiplayer shooters ever. Excellent map design and really good tactical gameplay. Locking perks and especially guns behind a paywall was pretty messed up though for a game that didn't have many guns. I'm interested in seeing how they handle Uncharted 4 multi but without the crafting and scavenging systems I don't think it'll have the same hook.

Sayers

Love Jeff but I kinda wish Brad had ridden shotgun with Dan on the Uncharted QL. Brad is actually a fan and has a lot more to say.

Would Soma be a good game for a GBeast playdate? I still think Witcher 3 would be a good one, if Vinny hasnt finished it
I think the only reason I would want them to play SOMA for a playdate is to hear them talk about the narrative, which they could do in a podcast. I don't think that the actual game would be that entertaining to watch.

TLoU multiplayer is legit one of my favorite multiplayer shooters ever. Excellent map design and really good tactical gameplay. Locking perks and especially guns behind a paywall was pretty messed up though for a game that didn't have many guns. I'm interested in seeing how they handle Uncharted 4 multi but without the crafting and scavenging systems I don't think it'll have the same hook.
Agreed, it was really well put together and totally different from any other multiplayer shooter. I hope a sequel doesn't mess it up.

kvothe

How is that Dan's m.o. recently? Showing just a small chunk seems to be his style with the remaster QLs, but other than that?

If you go back through the latest Quick Looks, Dan's are the shortest. Most are in the 20 minute range. Some go down to the teens. And yeah, some of these are just tiny puzzle platformers, but there are some that just felt a bit rushed. Like the Deception QL. I'd never seen that game and it seemed like an awesome toy box, but the quick look was just 23 minutes. For some other site, this would be fine, but Giant Bomb is known for their longer videos.

Yes, it's not all about the length, just this Uncharted QL which felt like it showed very little of what the games really are, TRIGGERED me.

And to be fair to Dan, I really enjoyed his Happy Home quick look. It's just a bit of an outlier.

kAmui-

Love Jeff but I kinda wish Brad had ridden shotgun with Dan on the Uncharted QL. Brad is actually a fan and has a lot more to say.

I don't think being a fan is a requirement for being in a QL although I agree, Brad probably would have had more to say. On the other hand it's Uncharted, what more is there to say.

kvothe

Eh, they've already quick looked most of these games. Maybe all, dunno if they ever did 1. All people need to see are graphics and frame rate. You don't necessarily have to see the set pieces for that.

I'd think those set pieces are the times that would most likely take a frame rate hit if it's a shoddy port. They were showing the least graphically demanding parts of the games.

Do you want the playdates to go until next year with Witcher? That's about the worst choice imaginable unless they didn't do any sidequest stuff.

Soma would work pretty well, that's a shorter game, although I worry about Austin and him interjecting at times.

I don't think playdates need to be full playthroughs, one-offs work fine too.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I need to see Vinny carry the nitro in Castlevania 64

10yo me loved that game

I need to see Vinny carry the nitro in Castlevania 64

10yo me loved that game

Hah, as I kid I loved that game too. It was also the game that taught me not to play games on the easiest settings since the game just ends right after that Nitro section. You have to play on the other difficulties to actually play through the whole game.

As far as the next Playdates, I dunno, how about KERBAL LIKE VINNY SAID HE'D DO.

did you not watch the QL? because it was one of the funniest ones I've seen in a while. Vinny + adventure games are almost always a good time.

and it really is basically an adventure game.
Yeah the quicklook was great, but I think that some of the later sequences would fall completely flat if they were chatting during them.

Sayers

I don't think being a fan is a requirement for being in a QL although I agree, Brad probably would have had more to say. On the other hand it's Uncharted, what more is there to say.

No you don't have to be a fan but I meant that simply in the context of Brad has played all of them and thus can talk about all of them. Jeff has obviously touched them all but hasn't finished any so anytime Dan said something like "wasn't there something weird at the end of 3?" all Jeff could say was "I dunno". I always enjoy Jeff's perspective on games even when I disagree but in this case he simply hadn't played enough to have much of one.

At least Super Castlevania IV won't break Vinny. Actually, a more chill time in IV is necessary after how much a nightmare III turned out to be.

one thing is for sure: the soundtrack is excellent as fuck and never sounds like two male cats fighting on a piano over a female in heat

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Hah, as I kid I loved that game too. It was also the game that taught me not to play games on the easiest settings since the game just ends right after that Nitro section. You have to play on the other difficulties to actually play through the whole game.

Wow that actually sounds familiar. I wonder if I knew that or just went with the normal difficulty by default. I definitely finished it for reals with both reinhardt and carrie. I played through with the dude first; carrie was like easy mode after that.

Myggen

Is the latest Beastcast not up on itunes yet? I have it on my Android podcast app and it's in the RSS feed, but itunes hasn't updated with it yet for me.

I thought Rondo of Blood was next.

naw, IV is next because, according to my calculations, III is followed by IV

then it would be the Rondo and then the genesis (not mega drive because that's stupid) castlevania Bloodlines. Dracula X can be skipped since it's a garbage port of Rondo

edit: goddamnit daydream i even did math in my post you didn't even try

Myggen

Outcast grabbed it for me. Refresh. Reboot. Do them things.

It just seems strange that it's not showing up on Youtube when it's showing up everywhere else for me. Should pull from the same RSS feed, right?

edit: Maybe it's just me then, I'm gonna blame this Mac.

Zornack

Is IV well liked? It's where I stopped my playthrough. It seemed really shoddy compared to 1 and 3, which I felt were fantastic.

KingKong

Thats true. They could do the upcoming DLC, thats supposed to be a self contained ~10 hour quest like the Baron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom