• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero18

I'm curious as to why. Can you elaborate?

Dan really playing the "anything outside of america is dumb and complicated" can be really tough. I love football/soccer so of course im biased but it just got too much. I also know that he very much plays up that part. They really went into that quick look with a clear idea of what they wanted to do and thats fine, im not bothered by it really. It just super quickly lost any charm even though they were legit funny. Ive enjoyed previous QLs of football games, but there was somehing about this one that just didn't feel right.

DamnBoxes

Dan really playing the "anything outside of america is dumb and complicated" can be really tough. I love football/soccer so of course im biased but it just got too much. I also know that he very much plays up that part. They really went into that quick look with a clear idea of what they wanted to do and thats fine, im not bothered by it really. It just super quickly lost any charm even though they were legit funny. Ive enjoyed previous QLs of football games, but there was somehing about this one that just didn't feel right.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. For me it had the opposite effect.

It was my most anticipated QL in a while and it didn't disappoint. I plug more hours into FIFA than all other games combined in a given year. As a Canadian who loves football/soccer (mainly the Premier League) I love seeing the two North Americans who struggle with the entire concept, team up against Danny who was essentially born a footy fan.

just dont take it seriously because he's not being serious. and even if he was, it's not like it has to affect how you feel about things.

though i admit i enjoy his trolling because unfortunately there are folks like yourself for whom it gets under your skin. So maybe you should continue to take it seriously

maped

Neo Member

I can definately relate to this sentiment, at times Dan's and to lesser extent Jeff's hate-shtick can get to be a bit too much and I have to skip content or come back to it later. And that's completely OK, I know that getting worked up about it is completely irrational and kinda dumb, but that's the way it goes and I really don't need my entertainment to annoy me, there's enough of that to go around as is. And to be fair, part of why some content (Mario Party etc.) works so well is because of the same shtick, so go figure.

Nero18

just dont take it seriously because he's not being serious. and even if he was, it's not like it has to affect how you feel about things.

though i admit i enjoy his trolling because unfortunately there are folks like yourself for whom it gets under your skin. So maybe you should continue to take it seriously

It's probably not Dan himself but the people that he is "channeling" when doing that. Want to say he has talked about it during Danswers and he seemed genuine in his love for america. I was watching it and getting really annoyed but still couldn't help laughing almost non stop. He is a master of his arts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hey man, just look at what happens whenever cricket gets brought up.

I wish the UC Collection had multiplayer so we could get a sequel to one of the secret best QLs:

The Uncharted 2 Multiplayer QL

we'll likely get an unfinished for the UC4 Beta so that's something

one of my favorite things about UC2 MP was getting autokicked from a game because a grenade i threw towards 2 enemies ended up landing next to 2 friendlies instead. that didnt end well and i just laughed my ass off at the results

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, that's a shame, I had fond memories of uncharted 2 multi.

This one time, in their capture the flag mode, I was chasing this guy who had our flag. Followed him up a wall and managed to ledge kill him just when he's about to cash it in.

One of my favourite shooter multiplayer moments.

Hmm, that's a shame, I had fond memories of uncharted 2 multi.

This one time, in their capture the flag mode, I was chasing this guy who had our flag. Followed him up a wall and managed to ledge kill him just when he's about to cash it in.

One of my favourite shooter multiplayer moments.

I just hope ND doesn't fuck this up. their last 3 MP games they've released updates that totally fucks up the game and the community then vanishes. It was especially egregious with TLOU where they added pay2win weapons to the MP and upset the fanbase in the process.

Hopefully, they learn that you can sell hats and shirts and skins but don't put weapons behind a paywall because that's plain old fuckery. and maybe make the maps free, too, because that helps to not split the community

Can you bounce around to whatever chapter you like in the Uncharted Collection? Like in MCC where all the campaign levels were unlocked from day 1.

I hated the combat in Uncharted myself. It got better in the sequels, but the enemies were just bullet sponges. I put it on easy just to finish it because it was so annoying.

Spinx

I just hope ND doesn't fuck this up. their last 3 MP games they've released updates that totally fucks up the game and the community then vanishes. It was especially egregious with TLOU where they added pay2win weapons to the MP and upset the fanbase in the process.

Hopefully, they learn that you can sell hats and shirts and skins but don't put weapons behind a paywall because that's plain old fuckery. and maybe make the maps free, too, because that helps to not split the community

Their greed is out of control.

People also seem to forget that it wasn't that long ago that FIFA Quick Looks didn't have Danny join in on them and it was pretty much entirely shitting on soccer. I think its a fun combination of Danny's legitimate enjoyment of the game, Jeff's "man, fuck soccer" attitude, and Dan's "this isn't American, so I hate it" sentiment.

kvothe

I know this is just a collection of previously released games, but I think this was a pretty poor quick look. They didn't show any of the set piece moments from any of the games. I'd think the whole point of this QL would be to see how well those moments hold up this many years later, but instead we just get 10 minutes of shooting dudes in each game. Seemed way too rushed, which seems to be dan's m.o. currently.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've only ever played Uncharted 1, is it worth buying the collection to finally go through Uncharted 2 and 3?

I'd probably just say get 4 instead, but that's because I could never ever ever play more than one Uncharted game in any 18 month period. Uncharted 2 was five years ago and I'm still of the opinion that I've had enough Uncharted for pretty much the rest of time.

But if you're down for that much "setpiece" bullshit and bullet sponge enemies, there aren't any better examples than the Uncharted games and the first one was just kind of bad compared to the others. The second game was really well done and people seem to like the third well enough, I just couldn't care less about its existence.

Myggen

I know this is just a collection of previously released games, but I think this was a pretty poor quick look. They didn't show any of the set piece moments from any of the games. I'd think the whole point of this QL would be to see how well those moments hold up this many years later, but instead we just get 10 minutes of shooting dudes in each game. Seemed way too rushed, which seems to be dan's m.o. currently.

How is that Dan's m.o. recently? Showing just a small chunk seems to be his style with the remaster QLs, but other than that?

Eh, they've already quick looked most of these games. Maybe all, dunno if they ever did 1. All people need to see are graphics and frame rate. You don't necessarily have to see the set pieces for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom