• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Kind of sad to hear Danny talk about nobody watching his Point video because it's 25 min long, but at the same time I wonder if it's not a lot of people relative to the amount of views all the other gamespot stuff probably gets. I would think Gamespot's regular video stuff would get a lot more viewers than GB's usual stuff.

Gamespot's audience tends to be more transitory, driven there by search engines, as opposed to Giant Bomb's, which is an audience that directly seeks out Giant Bomb specifically.

Basically, people go to Gamespot because they want information on Game X, and one of the first (if not the first) hits on Google is Gamespot. They hold little to no specific loyalty to Gamespot itself.

Hence the videos that are about more esoteric topics, and not focused on specific games, tend to have lower viewership. In addition that audience tends to want fast and quick information so they may just close the video right down when they realize it's a person talking for 25 minutes.

Honestly the Point should probably be moved to the Giant Bomb umbrella, as it would raise both its profile and its views, as the GB audience is looking for that sort of content.

is the shield just the wire season 3 but a whole show like that?

Ehhhh, different. Shield is just horrible ass people dealing with horrible shit, The Wire was more people dealing with the circumstances they're in, in the ways they know best. The Wire seemed optimistic, while knowing everything is fucked inherently. The shield is just fucked.

Gamespot's audience tends to be more transitory, driven there by search engines, as opposed to Giant Bomb's, which is an audience that directly seeks out Giant Bomb specifically.

Basically, people go to Gamespot because they want information on Game X, and one of the first (if not the first) hit on Google is Gamespot. They hold little to no specific loyalty to Gamespot itself.

Hence the videos that are about more esoteric topics, and not focused on specific games, tend to have lower viewership. In addition that audience tends to want fast and quick information so they may just close the video right down when they realize it's a person talking for 25 minutes.

Honestly the Point should probably be moved to the Giant Bomb umbrella, as it would raise both its profile and its views, as the GB audience is looking for that sort of content.

You think this would be the opportune time to do some kind of GB X Gamespot material. Longer video built off the Gamespot mentality but put on both sites? Or something like that.

The Shield has not aged well as a show, even though the story holds up. it's super rough to watch nowadays.

That's kind of a bummer to hear. I've wanted to do a rewatch lately too.

TraBuch

Banned
While you guys were watching your weird asshole Mario Maker thing, I've been playing Dragon Quest Heroes. Do something constructive with your lives, people.

While you guys were watching your weird asshole Mario Maker thing, I've been playing Dragon Quest Heroes. Do something constructive with your lives, people.

What are you talking about? I'm a veteran in Rocket league! I still suck though. I get people asking me how I'm a veteran all the time, like they don't understand that it's just a matter of time spent and means nothing about skill.

Patryn

You think this would be the opportune time to do some kind of GB X Gamespot material. Longer video built off the Gamespot mentality but put on both sites? Or something like that.

I definitely think it would be worth an experiment cross-posting The Point onto GB for a few weeks and watch what happened to the views.

In what sense? Just the general roughness of the production?

I'm going to guess the camera work. They did a lot of grainy hd handy cam type of shooting, I could see that looking super shitty nowadays.

Yeah, it was definitely shot for SD television and they do a lot of super closeups with shakycam, as well as a lot of cornball "edgy" camerawork. the direction all around is pretty awkward. a shame, the material deserves better, imo

I will say that it improved over time though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
What are you talking about? I'm a veteran in Rocket league! I still suck though. I get people asking me how I'm a veteran all the time, like they don't understand that it's just a matter of time spent and means nothing about skill.

I dropped rocket league when mgsv came out and haven't gone back to it.

A vocal group of people in that game were angry as hell and quick to start shit talking their own teammates for minor mistakes, while they are actually the ones causing actual problems with reckless play, constantly attacking the ball with no awareness of people around them, and putting their teammates into shitty positions because of it. Like, you'd know as soon as they said something that the team they were on was going to lose because it was another one of those players that you had to work extra hard to essentially clean up after while being berated for not doing a good enough job of it.

One of the funniest/saddest examples of this was in a 2v2, and one of the guys on the other team was talking shit about his teammate, who in turn talked shit about us for not beating them hard enough. Like he wouldn't stand up for himself against his douchebag teammate, instead calling us shit for being a rank above them and not putting enough goals past them (I think it was close to 10-0 by the end).

Ehhhh, different. Shield is just horrible ass people dealing with horrible shit, The Wire was more people dealing with the circumstances they're in, in the ways they know best. The Wire seemed optimistic, while knowing everything is fucked inherently. The shield is just fucked.

It's more like 7 seasons of that 20 minutes in season 1 where Kima goes undercover.

well that just sounds like some of the most tense and terrible shit possible

It's more like 7 seasons of that 20 minutes in season 1 where Kima goes undercover.

This is the perfect comparison!

I dropped rocket league when mgsv came out and haven't gone back to it.

A vocal group of people in that game were angry as hell and quick to start shit talking their own teammates for minor mistakes, while they are actually the ones causing actual problems with reckless play, constantly attacking the ball with no awareness of people around them, and putting their teammates into shitty positions because of it. Like, you'd know as soon as they said something that the team they were on was going to lose because it was another one of those players that you had to work extra hard to essentially clean up after while being berated for not doing a good enough job of it.

One of the funniest/saddest examples of this was in a 2v2, and one of the guys on the other team was talking shit about his teammate, who in turn talked shit about us for not beating them hard enough. Like he wouldn't stand up for himself against his douchebag teammate, instead calling us shit for being a rank above them and not putting enough goals past them (I think it was close to 10-0 by the end).

Yeah, the vocal assholes do get pretty grating. I'm always torn to just turn off chat completely, but I really like the times I beat the vocal assholes and I just type back don't be a dick. Winning something like 10-3 and seeing stuff like "soooo lucky" is just hilarious.

justjim89

Deus Ex Revision finally came out. Would love some kinda look at it, maybe for UPF or something. I know Dan has said he's never played the original.

Myggen

I'm guessing the live show of Choose Our Own Adventure! will be a GBEast joint because of the time it's going live?

edit: By Humanity in the Bombcast comment section:

2790140-gb_gaiden.jpg

Kelas

Deus Ex Revision finally came out. Would love some kinda look at it, maybe for UPF or something. I know Dan has said he's never played the original.

I'd just recommend he play the original, if he's gonna play at all. I played the first mission again about half a year ago or so and it doesn't take long to get used to the old way of doing things. That might be different for him though, having missed out on a lot of stuff of that era iirc.

But credit to the team that put in the effort to redo the whole thing.

Myggen

I hope Jeff got that Lego stuff expensed?!

Depends. From what Vinny said recently it seems like they expense stuff they buy just for doing content, stuff they wouldn't have bought regardless of their job. Knowing Jeff he probably bought this shit for himself :p

I'm guessing the live show of Choose Our Own Adventure! will be a GBEast joint because of the time it's going live?

2790140-gb_gaiden.jpg

A site with that logo is what a stone cold journalist like Danny Scoops would work for.

justjim89

I'd just recommend he play the original, if he's gonna play at all. I played the first mission again about half a year ago or so and it doesn't take long to get used to the old way of doing things. That might be different for him though, having missed out on a lot of stuff of that era iirc.

But credit to the team that put in the effort to redo the whole thing.

Yeah, reading up on it a bit more sounds like they changed level design in a lot of cases and perhaps bungled the AI a bit. I played through maybe 40% of the game a few years ago just using a graphics mod and had a great time with it. I'll give the new version a shot just to see how it feels, but if anything else I'll just go back to the modded original. \

Still need to beat the original System Shock that I started a few weeks ago. Ugh, even my retro backlog is getting too big.

omgkitty

2790140-gb_gaiden.jpg

I like this a lot. I've never been a big fan of GB's logo. They should get Cory Schmitz to do something for them.

Xater

Depends. From what Vinny said recently it seems like they expense stuff they buy just for doing content, stuff they wouldn't have bought regardless of their job. Knowing Jeff he probably bought this shit for himself :p

Yo man, gotta expand that collection!

Deus Ex GOTY with the dx10/widescreen fix is really all you need. after that it runs and looks fine. a little old, sure, but it's an old game. the gameplay is fine.

e: and the subtitle fix for higher resolutions

ev0

On the mixlr when Jeff said he didn't have a mybestbuy account- I wanted to scream "buy gamers club unlocked!"
It would have taken like $46 off the $230 and he'd still save $16 if he had to buy the sub then and there. But if it's not for him or he doesn't shop at Best Buy much then I guess it doesn't matter

Curufinwe

On the mixlr when Jeff said he didn't have a mybestbuy account- I wanted to scream "buy gamers club unlocked!"
It would have taken like $46 off the $230 and he'd still save $16 if he had to buy the sub then and there. But if it's not for him or he doesn't shop at Best Buy much then I guess it doesn't matter

I think he ends up buying enough games at Best Buy to make the $30 for GCU worthwhile. You'd only need to buy three $60 games over two years to come out on top.

Daheza

Playing us like a fiddle getting that dr tracksuit shoutout. I don't even like wrestling but I'm going to watch the trailer now

I'm surprised none of these Toys to Life games have tried a subscription model. Something like Loot Crate where you pay something like $15 a month and get a few new toys each month for the respective game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow did their 2K community manager friend pull some strings or what?
Sometimes the people actually designing stuff like that are fans of the site and get to slip something in.
There was some RPG where all characters in the promotional screenshots were named after GB stuff. What was that?

Kelas

Oh wow did their 2K community manager friend pull some strings or what?

Sounds like collusion to me.

Deus Ex GOTY with the dx10/widescreen fix is really all you need. after that it runs and looks fine. a little old, sure, but it's an old game. the gameplay is fine.

e: and the subtitle fix for higher resolutions

You're alright, non-millennial.

Zaph

I'm surprised none of these Toys to Life games have tried a subscription model. Something like Loot Crate where you pay something like $15 a month and get a few new toys each month for the respective game.

Shit, that's downright devious. Offer higher subs at $20/$25 etc to have an increased chance of receiving a chase figure each month too.

Did Patrick beat Dan's level?

edit: haha, oh shit, he did. Damn. His latest video is over four hours long. Are there any highlights which I should watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom