• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabant

But it sold a shit ton in the US.

They are still a pretty US centric crew.

Even then, i'd say the 360 only dominated the first half of the generation.

As soon as kinect dropped I personally felt the PS4 was where the interesting stuff was at like TLoU

I was listening to the bombcast and I think it's weird how Jeff thinks 360 dominated the last generation.
It was a great step up sales wise then the original Xbox, but outside of the US it didn't seem to gain that much ground.

Because it did especially when it came to multiplatform games usually you'd find them performing better than the PS3 counterparts. However, by the end the PS3 gained the upper hand and it's only because of their focus on first party games.

I was listening to the bombcast and I think it's weird how Jeff thinks 360 dominated the last generation.
It was a great step up sales wise then the original Xbox, but outside of the US it didn't seem to gain that much ground.

us-focused website and personalities focusing on us-market, weird

The PS3 became a hit super late in its life, sure, but the 360 was the console to own for a long time despite the RROD problems.

Just noticed the title change, little disappointed in it. Oh well.

repeater

I like it once in a while, I like Brad better as a regular host.
Jeff is very energized and freewheeling as a host of this episode (I've only listened to the first 30 minutes so far), but I think that's to a large extent because this is a one-off. I too like Brad as a host.

JonCha said:
Yeah I agree. It may have been said here before but Jeff is much better reacting to discussions imo.
Also, I feel like Brad is one of the few people on the cast that at least tries to play devil's advocate and give the opposite perspective a fair shake when the discussion becomes too one-sided. That's a good characteristic in a host.

Zaph

Great... I think whatever happened to Dan's internet caused Periscope to eat a huge chunk of the archive? There's an hour of video at the start of the stream, but after the taco bell run it's only showing 10 minutes (Dan trying to Skype), when I think there was 2 hours of taunting in between that?

Maybe alr1ght will have better luck, or possibly someone captured it live?

edit

ygmv7in.png

Scizzy

Also, I feel like Brad is one of the few people on the cast that at least tries to play devil's advocate and give the opposite perspective a fair shake when the discussion becomes too one-sided. That's a good characteristic in a host.

Yeah, I've really come to appreciate this, especially after listening to the Beastcast where everyone always agrees with everyone else and the discussion on any single topic just seems to drag after a while.

Great... I think whatever happened to Dan's internet caused Periscope to eat a huge chunk of the archive? There's an hour of video at the start of the stream, but after the taco bell run it's only showing 10 minutes (Dan trying to Skype), when I think there was 2 hours of taunting in between that?

Maybe alr1ght will have better luck, or possibly someone captured it live?

edit

ygmv7in.png
That's a real bummer.

erawsd

US is where it was completely dominant but it gained a lot of ground in the EU. It wasn't enough to overtake Sony there on the whole but it had big success in major regions such as the UK. The difference between 360 and PS3 in the US is substantially larger than the difference between 360 and PS3 in the EU.

Xbox also had the "hearts and minds" narrative going for it. It seemed to be the target platform for most games and it seemed to have better success for the big multi platform releases. Now I've never seen total software numbers for each platform to know if thats true, but that is definitely the impression that I got.

repeater

Yeah, I've really come to appreciate this, especially after listening to the Beastcast where everyone always agrees with everyone else and the discussion on any single topic just seems to drag after a while.
I've actually felt this be a bigger problem in Bombcasts, where occasionally they just start piling on and where Jeff can be very dominant (not out of any conscious intention to be so, I'm sure, but in virtue of his seniority and knowledge of all things videogames).

Heimbeck

Banned
US is where it was completely dominant but it gained a lot of ground in the EU. It wasn't enough to overtake Sony there on the whole but it had big success in major regions such as the UK. The difference between 360 and PS3 in the US is substantially larger than the difference between 360 and PS3 in the EU.

Xbox also had the "hearts and minds" narrative going for it. It seemed to be the target platform for most games and it seemed to have better success for the big multi platform releases. Now I've never seen total software numbers for each platform to know if thats true, but that is definitely the impression that I got.

Yeah I didn't mean to say it wasn't popular outside the US, just that that the 360 wasn't this dominant console in other countries.

Wasn't the 360 still dominant in the UK? I know Sony gained threshold in the other EU countries.

Yeah it was very popular in the UK as well.
MS focused more on the UK tha the rest of Europe I think, and still do with the Xbox One.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that part of the equation should not get lost. Dan made a really good level for this to work.

I don't know that I'd call it "good". It's impressive from a logistical standpoint, but good? Not so much.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I said it's good for the thing they made. I guess Dan's ability to fuck with people transfers well into all aspects of life.

My looming 7:00am alarm time overpowered my urge to watch around 2:00am, so I missed the ending. But the triumph of Scoops was inevitable. And holy shit did this thing really start to take off last night. It was trending on Twitter:

py2w4B0.png

danm999

Finished Undertale.

So glad I never killed anyone. I'll have to watch the genocide ending but I'm guessing it's a fucking downer.

Patryn

My looming 7:00am alarm time overpowered my urge to watch around 2:00am, so I missed the ending. But the triumph of Scoops was inevitable. And holy shit did this thing really start to take off last night. It was trending on Twitter:

py2w4B0.png

That may not mean much. Be default, trending is personalized to you and your feed. The only way to see the global trends is to either not be logged in or turn off personalized trending.

Kind of sad to hear Danny talk about nobody watching his Point video because it's 25 min long, but at the same time I wonder if it's not a lot of people relative to the amount of views all the other gamespot stuff probably gets. I would think Gamespot's regular video stuff would get a lot more viewers than GB's usual stuff.

That may not mean much. Be default, trending is personalized to you and your feed. The only way to see the global trends is to either not be logged in or turn off personalized trending.

Yeah, I had the same thought so I checked here (third party trend tracking site) and it was actually trending even higher than in that screenshot a few hours ago.

I don't think you can get true pacifist on your first run.
Yeah I don't think you can, but if you're on the right path then it's pretty obvious that it's not over.

Oh man I didn't kill anyone but I'm not sure whether there's more or not.

I'll have to check tomorrow! Exciting.

As Coldman said, just reload your save and backtrack a little.

I would think Gamespot's regular video stuff would get a lot more viewers than GB's usual stuff.
Any time there's a Gamespot stream I feel like the number of viewers is real low. Obviously not a direct comparison with a pre recorded video but I think it's kind of a sign that Gamespot's audience probably isn't super interested in video content.

If Dan thinks The Shield goes places and is dark only a couple season's in, I can't wait 'til he gets closer to the end. God damn that show is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom