• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There are pro wrestling management sims out there, but Jeff has also said that's not what he wants. What he wants is some vaguely cooperative spectacle fighter where the people fighting are actually working together which (by his own admittance) would probably make for a terrible game.

What Jeff wants is complicated.

I think what Jeff always gets at is that treating wrestling like a real sport and trying to simulate it as such is a fool's errand and leads to the shitty games we've been getting for like 20 years. Remember that he liked WWE All-Stars because it actually took a different approach and played more like a gosh-dang videogame.

GloiaLh.jpg

wait, was this a real thing

i'm not sure if this is hilarious or gross

Lijik

I can't wait until the lawsuit where the plaintiff, Mr Gerstmann, alleges that the accused, 2K, has co-opted the likeness of Dr Tracksuit, an intellectual property of Mr Gerstmann, in promotional materials of its video game, WWE 2k16

you wont believe jeff's lawyer
morgan-and-morgan-tebow-ad.png

wait, was this a real thing

i'm not sure if this is hilarious or gross

This was absolutely a real broadcast on the USA Network in the year 2009.

Sort of a parody of wrestler's court, an actual backstage practice where grown men in tights usually led by a man dressed up as a demonic undertaker would play pretend court as a way to police unwritten rules and social faux pas on the road.

Wrestling is weird

I think what Jeff always gets at is that treating wrestling like a real sport and trying to simulate it as such is a fool's errand and leads to the shitty games we've been getting for like 20 years. Remember that he liked WWE All-Stars because it actually took a different approach and played more like a gosh-dang videogame.

Well the management sim I would have in mind wouldn't treat it like a sport, it would treat it like a TV show.

But apparently what Jeff wants isn't a management sim but like an actual Pro Wrestler sim, which I do understand why that game doesn't exist.

hamchan

What Jeff wants I think is sorta like a wrestling rhythm game where you have to input the right commands at the right time to hit all the required spots in the match. If you mistime the commands you damage your opponents health bar which we all know is a big no no. If the opponents run out of health they legit collapse like Sting did a few weeks ago.

Perhaps you also get free time in between spots where you can do anything you want. The better moves you do, the more points and audience hype you get. However, you have to maintain your stamina, which may require you to lie down on the ground for longer or do rest holds. Too much rest and you lose audience hype. Basically it's all a balancing act of a game.

Yeah, it was definitely shot for SD television and they do a lot of super closeups with shakycam, as well as a lot of cornball "edgy" camerawork. the direction all around is pretty awkward. a shame, the material deserves better, imo

I will say that it improved over time though.
Yeah, I definitely found that stuff to be real rough when I watched it for the first time a few years ago. I get what they were going for, but it's just bad and it's only got worse with age.

Thankfully the material is so good that it's easy to put up with the weak production.

the season 5 and 7 finales are still a punch to the gut.

erawsd

*15 years. Unless we're just talking about the Yukes games then 20 is fine :p

Guys, with Dan's roommate and all the close ties in and around 2K and WWE, it's pretty obvious this is all a work and you marks are just getting hot and working yourselves into a shoot. You never sell the rib.

I'm sorry

Brother

Patryn

What Jeff wants I think is sorta like a wrestling rhythm game where you have to input the right commands at the right time to hit all the required spots in the match. If you mistime the commands you damage your opponents health bar which we all know is a big no no. If the opponents run out of health they legit collapse like Sting did a few weeks ago.

Perhaps you also get free time in between spots where you can do anything you want. The better moves you do, the more points and audience hype you get. However, you have to maintain your stamina, which may require you to lie down on the ground for longer or do rest holds. Too much rest and you lose audience hype. Basically it's all a balancing act of a game.

Yeah, I think this is close to what he wants. Something like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, where most of the match is just following the correct prompts, but getting the opportunity to do some freestyle stuff depending how things go.

If they wanted to be really creative, they could have both an audience interest meter and opponent's health, and make it so that missing certain cues actually increases the audience interest, but lowers the opponent health.

At this point I'm wondering if my expectations are too high to play it. Basically expecting a game that ends with a single malt and a back rub.

I think this was a legit issue for me. I played it after all that, and was like ok yeah that was pretty good. Don't think its really going to stick with me though.

We need more Undertale giveaways.

FWIW, a lot of the praise for the game comes from the back half.

Oh yeah, to be clear I finished the game
twice, played through again to get the pacifist ending and looked up the kill everything ending.
Not sure if that's a big spoiler or not but tagged just in case.

I liked it, I just don't think it particularly resonated with me like it seems to have with a lot of people here, judging by how passionately people are praising it.

tumblr_nw5hmrdzfw1r9xrggo1_400.gif

Tonight though, I'ma giveaway a copy of Undertale.
And I'll join you.
twice, played through again to get the pacifist ending and looked up the kill everything ending.

I liked it, I just don't think it particularly resonated with me like it seems to have with a lot of people here, judging by how passionately people are praising it.
Yeah, Reading your post again males it clear that you finished it. At least you still enjoyed it.

Bleh, I've been saving playing Undertale (sorry demidar) for when I move so I have something to do between points of the trip, and to play with my fiancee because she's a huge Earthbound fan, but I'm worried I'm going to get everything spoiled for me and won't be able to enjoy it since as I understand, Papyrus is the best character 2015.

demidar

tumblr_nw5hmrdzfw1r9xrggo1_400.gif

Tonight though, I'ma giveaway a copy of Undertale.

And the music to go with it. I love the soundtrack.

To be honest, it's gotten pretty insufferable (not here but elsewhere) and that definitely colours people's expectations. But I still think most everyone should at least give it a shot.

killroy87

For anyone who watched the LEGO QL, Jeff and Jason were wrong about the Portal 2 content, right? There is an actual game level, a structured mission, and they just didn't find it, correct? They went to the open world area, which to my knowledge (and I could be wrong), is a completely different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom