• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Myggen, come on, you know people will still make a fuss out of it if they really want to. People still complain about Dan being hired.

I'm more saying that there's not any legitimate complaints to be had. Of course people can still kick up a fuss about anything, but that's just the internet.

popo

This has very little with what you said, but whatever police state. I love building Lego sets, but then I have this giant stupid thing in my house that I don't want. So, aspiring Bay Area technocrat fuckheads, I need you to build and franchise out a chain of stores where I can go, pay a reasonable fee, and build Lego sets.

buy, ebay, buy, repeat. If you wait until each set is out of print you might even make a profit.

killroy87

I doubt he had anything to do with it since he's just the community manager, and I can't imagine anyone's in trouble over this.

I dunno, in my experience, for an asset as low-stakes as this kind of trailer, this seems like the exact kind of thing a Community Manager would be able to raise his hand and say "hey, I've got a great idea that will play well with our core audience!"

Also, this is a side note: I"m not asking out of maliciousness or any negative intent, I'm purely asking because I don't know; who is Steve Kim, and how come I see him pop up on the twitter feed of like everyone at Giant Bomb and Gamespot?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I would be mad too if I was called a "Journo"
What the hell.

This is really stupid.
Undertale though. That's not stupid. Great game, despite many mentions of anime.

Brashnir

So this Lego game.... It's basically the exact same thing as every other Lego game, except that instead of having a wide variety of characters and items that you can unlock in-game, it has a wide variety of characters and items that you can unlock by going to the fucking store and buying them.

And also it makes you stop playing it to assemble shit.

Am I misreading this? What an awful product.

Also:

Giant Bomb #18 | I Need Two Single Black Studs

meanwhile 2K is sleeping well at night knowing that no matter how bad the game is or how many people talk shit about it, their dumb wrestling games will still sell and they have nothing to worry about

Jeff is a Lego master.

0irz2.gif

Oh god, the podracer! So good.

danm999

Really enjoyed the LiS stream. Hope they continue on with that.

I wonder if Vinny will save Kate. They've made all the rights moves thus far.

Myggen

I dunno, in my experience, for an asset as low-stakes as this kind of trailer, this seems like the exact kind of thing a Community Manager would be able to raise his hand and say "hey, I've got a great idea that will play well with our core audience!"

Also, this is a side note: I"m not asking out of maliciousness or any negative intent, I'm purely asking because I don't know; who is Steve Kim, and how come I see him pop up on the twitter feed of like everyone at Giant Bomb and Gamespot?

Steve Kim is Fobwashed on the site, a guy who's made a lot of GB fan art you've probably seen (and all of the PAX exclusive GB t-shirt designs), and is the best at making Giant Bomb related gifs. He was also in the recent Destiny raid video on the site and sometimes posts in this thread.

So this Lego game.... It's basically the exact same thing as every other Lego game, except that instead of having a wide variety of characters and items that you can unlock in-game, it has a wide variety of characters and items that you can unlock by going to the fucking store and buying them.

Also:

well you're supposed to assemble everything before you start playing.

I would be mad too if I was called a "Journo"
What the hell.

This is really stupid.
Undertale though. That's not stupid. Great game, despite many mentions of anime.

one of my favorite moments in that game is anime related

one of the characters asks you if anime is real and you have to choose yes or no

A NeoGaf local system faction is going to be added to Elite Dangerous and I am way to excited for it. I'm going to expand our influence as far as I can with my Python, FerDeLance and Diamondback Explorer.

SomberOwl

Man this weeks Bombcast has been really good. One of the best in a while. I wonder if them having their own recording space has anything to do with it. Also Jeff was a great host this week.

killroy87

Also:

To be fair, a LEGO game of this kind that didn't have you building things would be a pretty big swing and a miss. Generally the person investing the money is someone who likes playing with LEGO.

Giant Bomb #18 | They're Journos, and They're Not Happy About It

killroy87

Steve Kim is Fobwashed on the site, a guy who's made a lot of GB fan art you've probably seen (and all of the PAX exclusive GB t-shirt designs), and is the best at making Giant Bomb related gifs. He was also in the recent Destiny raid video on the site and sometimes posts in this thread.

Ah, fair enough. I don't actually spend much time around the community of the site (I really don't like their forum structure), so I don't really know the people there.

Thanks for the info!

No. Obviously.
I do like how the game refers to anime as "kid's cartoons" though.

i could link to a million gifs to demonstrate how it's definitely not "kids cartoons"

there's new anime where girls transform into magic weapons by having an orgasm and boy do they detail that happening

wait wasn't that something SWERY wanted to do?

I've played a few hours of Lego Dimensions and the production values are far beyond any of the other games. Are actually some huge setpieces in the game which are fun to play through and all of the hub worlds for the various packs actually have a lot to do in them. Certainly plenty to be frustrated about in terms of how much the packs cost and the relative dearth of unlockables compared to the other lego titles but it feels like a much better game overall.

killroy87

I've played a few hours of Lego Dimensions and the production values are far beyond any of the other games. Are actually some huge setpieces in the game which are fun to play through and all of the hub worlds for the various packs actually have a lot to do with them. Certainly plenty to be frustrated about in terms of how much the packs cost and the relative dearth of unlockables compared to the other games but it feels like a much better game overall.

Out of ten, how satisfied would I be if I only bought and played through the starter pack, and didn't buy any extra shit?

I liked it way more than I expected to given it was Ridley Scott and that can be dicey sometimes.

I liked that it was a generally positive movie about space (and the human spirit), instead of going all grimdark and existential. Which is also ok! But it's a nice change!

Out of ten, how satisfied would I be if I only bought and played through the starter pack, and didn't buy any extra shit?
The main story has all of the various properties in them, ie you'll still see Scooby Doo and Shaggy even without their pack, so you'd probably have a good time although you'd be limited in terms of what hub worlds you could visit.

Can't really rate it given I've only played the game for a few hours but the writing is really fun and the production values are out of the roof so if you want to see Gandalf fly through Springfield you'd probably at least grin a few times. Think the main campaign is supposed to be around 12 hours long, so for 100 dollars it might be a bit much depending on your tastes. If you have GCU that's 20 dollars off at least.

Flandy

Is there an archive of the Pick your own adventure stream from earlier?
I wasn't able to watch it and the video they uploaded onto youtube has been removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom