• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Watching Batman react to the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

Man, I feel this would be one of my favourite games of the year if I didn't have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of figurines to see all of it.

justjim89

Works for me.

Who's everyone's favorite TAZ side character? I'm pretty partial to Magic Brian myself, although Jenkins was also pretty great.

Taako all day every day, though they're all great. I suppose my favorite NPC would either be that first boss they meet obsessed with tea or the depressed bard they meet at the bureau.

yami4ct

Man, I feel this would be one of my favourite games of the year if I didn't have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of figurines to see all of it.

If you don't mind the hassle, you could easily sell the sets and make nearly all your money back. If you waited until the go out of print in like a year, you could even make a profit. Lego holds value really well. The few sets I've bought and built I've sold a year later and made like at least 60% profit even open and built.

mintyice

If you don't mind the hassle, you could easily sell the sets and make nearly all your money back. If you waited until the go out of print in like a year, you could even make a profit. Lego holds value really well. The few sets I've bought and built I've sold a year later and made like at least 60% profit even open and built.

I know you're serious about Legos since you called them Lego.

yami4ct

I know you're serious about Legos since you called them Lego.

Haha. Nope. I've just listened to Tested talk about them way too much. I've bought like 3 Star Wars kits (1 of them being the UCS shuttle) and ended up selling them later on to buy collectable crap I actually care about. I did buy a crap ton of Bionicle back in the day and it's been hard to resist the urge of the new sets.

yami4ct

Yet another reason MGSV doesn't deserve GOTY. This is getting fucking disgusting.

MGSV is GOTY for me despite all the FOB-online and resource management crap. I had a ton of fun and the game gave me enough without having to engage with any of that.

That's not to say this isn't massive bullshit. It is. Especially on PC where the FOB system is just a haven for hackers and cheaters with Konami just standing by not giving a single shit to try and preserve what little integrity the system has. I just think the game raises far past these dumb systems and pretty poor story (even disregarding the drama around the ending).

Spaghetti

the title is a little deceptive. it's not a tax, it's just the rebalancing patch for FOBs has put more resources online and placed some caps on offline amounts in certain circumstances.

it's still shitty though. it's near enough strong-arming players into going online but not providing enough tangible benefits to doing so. it's just trying to introduce more people into their microtransaction ecosystem, but in probably the most haphazard way possible.

danm999

Yeah I still find all this shit amusing only because I'm on PC and can cheat engine myself more stuff if I want it making all these changes irrelevant to me as well as scummy.

I feel for anyone on a console though who just wants nothing to do with this FOB stuff.

Final Fantasy Spirits Within is the real GOTY.

Konami does Konami things. I'm impressed that people still have the will to be angry about it.

the title is a little deceptive. it's not a tax, it's just the rebalancing patch for FOBs has put more resources online and placed some caps on offline amounts in certain circumstances.

it's still shitty though. it's near enough strong-arming players into going online but not providing enough tangible benefits to doing so. it's just trying to introduce more people into their microtransaction ecosystem, but in probably the most haphazard way possible.

Its the problem with users making the titles. Don't understand what's happening so they use the wrong words for it. Had to read several posts before I actually understood what it was.

When I bought my gameboy advance as a child i had a choice between advance wars and super dodgeball advance

I chose super dodgebal advance. i made the right choice.

as a result I have yet to ever play an advance wars game

yami4ct

Yeah I still find all this shit amusing only because I'm on PC and can cheat engine myself more stuff if I want it making all these changes irrelevant to me as well as scummy.

I feel for anyone on a console though who just wants nothing to do with this FOB stuff.

I think what sucks on the PC side was that even though I wanted to engage with the FOB invasion stuff, I was actively pushed away because of all the cheating. Put your FOB online? Prepare for hackers to come into your base, instantly put all your guys to sleep at once, be unkilable if you are there to defend, and then just watch as they fulton all your dudes away and steal all your shit. You also have zero way to report them, so there is no repercussion for cheating. It's terrible.

Jintor

When I bought my gameboy advance as a child i had a choice between advance wars and super dodgeball advance

i love a-wars 2 and 3. 4 is decent.

i really miss the music actually. great little tunes.

Jintor

i got a lot more relaxed about mgsv when I realised that all that fob shit doesn't matter for what I wanted to do in that game, which was dick around

it's still shit

danm999

I think what sucks on the PC side was that even though I wanted to engage with the FOB invasion stuff, I was actively pushed away because of all the cheating. Put your FOB online? Prepare for hackers to come into your base, instantly put all your guys to sleep at once, be unkilable if you are there to defend, and then just watch as they fulton all your dudes away and steal all your shit. You also have zero way to report them, so there is no repercussion for cheating. It's terrible.

Yeah it's a beyond broken ecosystem that simply means if you want to play online at all you're encouraged to pour good resources after bad and engage in some mad cheating arms race to the mutual detriment of all.

Oh shit! It's a metaphor for nuclear proliferation.

mintyice

I've been playing a little Advance War with my Wii U lately and it's a great before bed game.

Lelcar

Dude, this Klepek/Ryckert Mario Maker thing is amazing. They're going to do a one on one expert level challenge at Giant Bomb next as well as a podcast about this whole thing hosted by Greg Miller. This is insane. Mario Maker is so great.

danm999

I would have said two weeks ago MGSV was a shoe in for GOTY and Mario Maker for runner up but after the Ryckoning and what Konami is doing....

I dunno might be a horse race again.

The patch stuff does not ruin the experience I had with the original game, which was amazing.

It makes me infinitely depressed that someone will play this with all the garbage thrown in.

What happened now?

3055977a91f9ae60902465e9f5c32227.png

Today is not a good day for el Jefe.

Jeff wasn't even mad about the character, just worried about the likeness. Way to blow shit out of proportion Polygon.

He also briefly vented about something on mixlr. He wasn't specific, but did use the term "shitbags".

Well, stuff like that is all in the cutscenes which are part of the base game.

I would have said two weeks ago MGSV was a shoe in for GOTY and Mario Maker for runner up but after the Ryckoning and what Konami is doing....

I dunno might be a horse race again.

If they were still playing the game, you might have a point. They probably don't give a shit what happens to the game now since they're all pretty much done playing it besides Drew. And Drew doesn't seem like the person to care much about the specific numbers, since he cares much more about actually playing the game.

Oh right. I wasn't thinking about how, uh... late that stuff comes into play.

If they were still playing the game, you might have a point. They probably don't give a shit what happens to the game now since they're all pretty much done playing it besides Drew. And Drew doesn't seem like the person to care much about the specific numbers, since he cares much more about actually playing the game.

It'll affect Drew and by extension, Dan and J-son.

I'd imagine Konami isn't done, either. If they're going this far, the farming spots are next.

Edit: Man, all of this the same year as the Witcher 3 and it's free DLC stuff. Whodathunk.

danm999

If it's a tight argument anything can be relevant. The GOTY awards can get weird that way.

Though honestly that game has other, more obvious things to knock it for if that's what someone is going for.

It'll affect Drew and by extension, Dan and J-son.

I really can't see how.

If it's a tight argument anything can be relevant. The GOTY awards can get weird that way.

Though honestly that game has other, more obvious things to knock it for if that's what someone is going for.

You're right. Nothing's ever set in stone. If it does manage to hit the "start listing the negatives" it can get pretty shaky, though I imagine it goes both ways for stuff like MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom