• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, then stuff like "I wish the filtering was better" will come up.

I honestly dislike the "compare the negatives to the negatives and see what comes out on top" approach to stuff like this, but I understand its the easiest way to sort stuff out. Both game's high points are so ridiculously high, but also have some dumb stuff holding it back.

danm999

I honestly dislike the "compare the negatives to the negatives and see what comes out on top" approach to stuff like this, but I understand its the easiest way to sort stuff out. Both game's high points are so ridiculously high, but also have some dumb stuff holding it back.

It's just been the most economic way of getting a list and order together which is my suspicion as to why a lot of people feel the awards are overly cynical.

Since it's a matter of who makes the fewest mistakes, the better games tend to get the least or most brief discussions, whilst the most flawed get pitted against each other for the longest.

2013 really stuck out for me like that, they spent a huge amount of time picking apart very small flaws between Bioshock Infinite, Brothers, Stanley Parable, Rogue Legacy etc, then pretty much immediately went "and Last of Us wins".

And I get why they did it that way (why keep discussing when you have an order) but who knows maybe there's another way.

justjim89

Jeff was right, The Blacklist is a great show. I'd only seen the pilot before but I'm watching it now. Red is like if Alan Shore became a crime lord instead of a lawyer. So so good.

It's just been the most economic way of getting a list and order together which is my suspicion as to why a lot of people feel the awards are overly cynical.

Since it's a matter of who makes the fewest mistakes, the better games tend to get the least or most brief discussions, whilst the most flawed get pitted against each other for the longest.

2013 really stuck out for me like that, they spent a huge amount of time picking apart very small flaws between Bioshock Infinite, Brothers, Stanley Parable, Rogue Legacy etc, then pretty much immediately went "and Last of Us wins".

And I get why they did it that way (why keep discussing when you have an order) but who knows maybe there's another way.

Eh, maybe the huge spark in games this year and how close in quality they are to each other might spark some great debates, especially with that GBEast playing being vastly different from GBWest.

At the end of the day if LiS isn't at least top 5 I'm boycotting!

yami4ct

Yeah it's a beyond broken ecosystem that simply means if you want to play online at all you're encouraged to pour good resources after bad and engage in some mad cheating arms race to the mutual detriment of all.

Oh shit! It's a metaphor for nuclear proliferation.

I would be fine with it if it was just a dumb side mode in a single player thing. Konami gets a ton of extra responsibility the moment they start charging for things in that mode, though. The fact they are selling FOBs to people that they know full well will be almost useless (or at least, heavily hampered) by the hackers they aren't policing is just so damn gross.

Jeff was right, The Blacklist is a great show. I'd only seen the pilot before but I'm watching it now. Red is like if Alan Shore became a crime lord instead of a lawyer. So so good.

It starts off really strong but gets kinda formulaic towards the end of the first season and into the second imo. It is a really good shot though overall.

I wonder if Jeff has ever seen Person of Interest. I'm sure he knows of it, as it's a CBS show. Just like his description of The Blacklist, POI is both a procedural and a serial (sometimes in the same episode). Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix. Season 4 is supposed to go up real soon. Season 5, apparently the final season (semi-confirmed at NYCC), begins in 2016. It's co-created by Jonathan Nolan (brother of director Christopher, whom he co-wrote the screenplays of The Prestige, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar with) and J.J. Abrams.

KingKong

Is every Life is Strange episode around 2 hours? They could easily get through an episode per show, this was a shorter stream and they still almost finished

Person of Interest was pretty damn cool when I was watching it. I dunno why I lost interest in it.

When did you stop? Ever since season 3 (especially the middle of that particular season) it's been on a roll. Not that it matters much, but the guy who reviews it for IGN never rated an episode of Season 4 less than an 8. Most were 9's or more (and a 10 or two). The show has started leaning more in the "series mythology" direction and has become less and less of an procedural, which I have to wonder is the reason for the (still not 100% confirmed) cancellation. CBS is the king of the procedural, as it's viewer base prefers that kind of television (they tend to be older or have "middle America values" and prefer familiarity with their shows, which is why their top shows are NCIS (a predictable military procedural) and The Big Bang Theory (a relatively non-offensive, traditional laugh track sitcom)). I hope the show does well on Netflix, as it could continue there. Although, ironically a show about a computer system that watches people would be hosted on a service that tracks your viewership habits!

Joeku

Is every Life is Strange episode around 2 hours? They could easily get through an episode per show, this was a shorter stream and they still almost finished

Most episodes are around 3 and the most recent was longer -- 4 or so. The last episode has taken longer to come out than most, so either it's going to be a bit longer still or there's going to be a ton of variety based on past choices. Either way, I'm happy.

EDIT: Also I watched the archive and I'm so fucking glad they did this. They'll probably push through and fall in love sometime through episode 2 like I did.

Oh good they're doing the Combat Deployment tutorial in this new episode.

Have they ever sent a team to do the actual deployment it tries to point them to? It seemed like he never accepted that one. He never had a team available to send because he already sent them out before the tutorial.

For twice the price of a Jackbox Party Pack (each retails at $15 I think), they should have bundled both in. Even with the stinkers that #2 has, it would be worth it for more Fibbage.

They're both $24.99. At least the new one is. Not sure if the first game was ever discounted. I do think it would've been nice if they combined both JBPPs into one collection (even though you'd have Fibbage XL and Fibbage 2).

To be fair to Polygon, Owen Good is far and away the absolute worst reporter they have. I've despised him since he was at Kotaku.

This must have been a weird day for Jeff.

Frigging toys-to-life games.

I had been kind of excited about Lego Dimensions since there had been a couple of the TT Lego games I was a fan of (particularly PotC), and the beginning of the QL had me 110% on board with the onscreen "okay build it now" stuff, but man, the actual gameplay looks like the kind of bland nothingness that I immediately tire of in most of their games. They have this annoying tendency to take awesome IPs and make really bland-ass environments with them.

It's the same with Infinity 3.0. Some of the Star Wars stuff looks really cool, but it seems like I'd be buying it for 1/3 of a cool game while trying my best to ignore how aggressively lame the other 2/3 is (in Infinity's case, the awful Toy Box mode). But hey, I guess the positive side is that I wind up not spending hilarious amounts of money on either game.

GavinGT

Banned
I can't believe these stupid idiots voted for Life is Strange over Phantasmagoria 2...

This game's writing seems hand-crafted to offend my sensibilities at every turn.

Anjin M

I can't believe these stupid idiots voted for Life is Strange over Phantasmagoria 2...

This game's writing seems hand-crafted to offend my sensibilities at every turn.
Considering that several people in this thread were looking forward to them playing Life Is Strange, maybe we could roll back the vitriol a little? Thanks!

FStop7

Banned

I know the Phantasmagoria playthrough is beloved but the game itself really soured me with the rape scene. It was really grim and gratuitous and just didn't sit well with me. I don't know if the sequel has a scene like that but it really put me off on the whole thing.

Life is Strange seems a little less grim.

danm999

I know the Phantasmagoria playthrough is beloved but the game itself really soured me with the rape scene. It was really grim and gratuitous and just didn't sit well with me. I don't know if the sequel has a scene like that but it really put me off on the whole thing.

Life is Strange seems a little less grim.

The uh, sequel is kind of worse in that respect.

Life is Strange is definitely the right choice IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom