• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This MGScanlon episode kinda illustrates to me why I'm turned off by MGSV. They've made it too forgiving. He basically rolled up on 3 guys, setting them off but had the slow motion time activate for each of them so that it wasn't a problem at all.

This MGScanlon episode kinda illustrates to me why I'm turned off by MGSV. They've made it too forgiving. He basically rolled up on 3 guys, setting them off but had the slow motion time activate for each of them so that it wasn't a problem at all.

You can turn off the reflex mode but would have to deal with an instant alert

Eh, all the games are like that. Shoot people fast enough and they can't radio in for alerts.

Zaph

Is it even possible to make a sandbox game which encourages the player to get creative in finding solutions with a play-style they enjoy, and not have it be forgiving/easy?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This game is a lot more forgiving when it comes to reacting to soldiers discovering you.

Not if you turn off Reflex mode imo. In past games, they actually had to physically radio it in to go into alert. Here, if a guy sees you and you don't take him out within like 1 second it's an instant alert.

Reflex is baby mode for babies. I turned it off immediately. You literally can sprint through the entire game headshotting everyone in reflex mode otherwise.

Not really a sandbox game.
Sandbox or open world? I wouldn't call it open world, but I consider it sandbox with how many times I have cleverly gotten around tough situations. Like when I tried hacking a security panel in a police station, but a patrolling cop kept walking by. So I used my super strength to carry a vending machine all the way down the hallway to place in front of the door so he couldn't see me hack it.

Myggen

Sandbox or open world? I wouldn't call it open world, but I consider it sandbox with how many times I have cleverly gotten around tough situations. Like when I tried hacking a security panel in a police station, but a patrolling cop kept walking by. So I used my super strength to carry a vending machine all the way down the hallway to place in front of the door so he couldn't see me hack it.

I thought it was obvious that people were referring to the open world kind of sandbox game here.

edit: I remember someone in this thread complaining about shitty download speeds from GB. Here's a potential solution to that problem that I forgot to post.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I hate when people dismiss teen drama for being dumb teen stuff. I mean yeah, teen drama is often dumb, that's just true to life. But Life is Strange never belittles the characters for being teens. It's a shitty time. Hormones, insecurity, social pressure, etc. For example Victoria actually being all right when she's not around her friends. That's good stuff. It's well-written.

Antiwhippy

To be fair the dialogue can be fairly terrible at times during the first episode.

Thought they improved on it by the second one.

LiS is really great especially since it touches on so many things video games just rarely do. All while not feeling cheap or exploitive. There needs to be more games like that. Every time one comes out it's always an immediate reminder in how sparse they actually are.

japaneseladyclapping.gif

ex9P8Yz.gif

oLlPnvH.gif

IH9OGqh.gif

If I'm gonna judge the game based purely on the first episode I'll say it seems like a legitimately good teen story wrapped in a sort of endearingly bad French conception of how American millennial teens talk.

Now Friday Night Lights, there's a thing that understood American high school kids.

danm999

If I'm gonna judge the game based purely on the first episode I'll say it seems like a legitimately good teen story wrapped in a sort of endearingly bad French conception of how American millennial teens talk.

Now Friday Night Lights, there's a thing that understood American high school kids.

Like how some of them have a weird tone shift where they kill someone and then they never talk about it again :p

I hate when people dismiss teen drama for being dumb teen stuff. I mean yeah, teen drama is often dumb, that's just true to life. But Life is Strange never belittles the characters for being teens. It's a shitty time. Hormones, insecurity, social pressure, etc. For example Victoria actually being all right when she's not around her friends. That's good stuff. It's well-written.

Err, what?
That's true for a whole one conversation and even then only if you made the "correct" choice earlier. She's not around her friends when she's blackmailing Jefferson or sending Max angry text messages.

Heimbeck

Banned

Hey, wanna go drink some hella tea?

Zaph

LiS is really great especially since it touches on so many things video games just rarely do. All while not feeling cheap or exploitive. There needs to be more games like that. Every time one comes out it's always an immediate reminder in how sparse they actually are.
It does touch on them, but in the most videogamey ways possible.

The writing and associated production makes the personal themes feel completely unpersonal, and has to keep falling back to the scifi as a crutch.

It's on par with one of the dozens of unremarkable YA novels that end up in the bargain bin each month, but is being put on a pedestal here because video games.

At its best, it's a stepping stone.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It does touch on them, but in the most videogamey ways possible.

The writing and associated production makes the personal themes feel completely unpersonal, and has to keep falling back to the scifi as a crutch.

It's on par with one of the dozens of unremarkable YA novels that end up in the bargain bin each month, but is being put on a pedestal here because video games.

At its best, it's a stepping stone.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, very ungenerous. The fact that this subject material is practically non-existent in gaming does make it stand out and worthy of praise. Besides the dialogue itself I think the game also deserves praise for its setting and the myriad little details in the world that give it verisimilitude, which is a rare thing in games. Also I disagree that it feels unpersonal.

ArjanN

Sorry, got some bidness to attend to.

Actually most of the terrible dialogue comes from chloe.

Also chloe is pretty terrible too.

I've only played up to ep 2 though.

I think the dialogue generally gets a bit better further in, or at least tones down on the slightly out of touch youth-isms.

Antiwhippy

I definitely support more slice of life style games making it to the western market.

When can I play the videogame equivalent of solanin?

Jintor

I definitely support more slice of life style games making it to the western market.

When can I play the videogame equivalent of solanin?

Hmmm... I don't know if I've played anything that gave me as much existential dread as Solanin.

Damnit, my copy's back home on my shelf in Sydney

Antiwhippy

Hmmm... I don't know if I've played anything that gave me as much existential dread as Solanin.

Damnit, my copy's back home on my shelf in Sydney

It's kind of terrifying to me how much my life is following the same trajectory as the main guy from that book, though with the self-hatred and discontent toned down by quite a lot.

Luckily I don't know how to ride a scooter.

Jintor

It's kind of terrifying to me how much I resemble the main guy from that book, though with the self-hatred and discontent toned down by quite a bit.

Luckily I don't know how to ride a scooter though.

everything makes me very scared to read punpun. I keep getting it recommended but I have the feeling it might wreck me

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Man I am really getting turned off of Metal Gear Scanlon. Dan knows nothing about the game's systems considering how much time he's spent playing (doesn't even know what triggers alert state), Drew doesn't seem to give a shit about actually learning anything about the game or experimenting, still runs around in broad daylight, not even crouch walking, listens to 2 tapes and makes a snide remark about them. Meanwhile I have to listen to stories about how much (more) of a dumbass Dan was in college. My hope was that MGSV's length would mean Drew would actually have enough time to really learn how the game's systems work, but he's not. He's still as bad at this as he's been at every other MGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom