• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like in Jeff's, during the donut sequence, it looks like you need to jump up to the top one but just off screen there's a fire windmill that will kill you when you jump up there.

Fulton, reflex, fulton, reflex, fulton, fulton,fulton, reflex, relfex...MGScanlon is one of the best features they've ever done but this one is so boring. This game sucks. Doesn't even have much story for their reactions to make up for the boring gameplay parts.

It still has some value though for Drew and Dan's conversations though. Those will never not be great. College Dan seems like he would be awful to be around which I believe Dan would openly admit to.

Metal Gear Scanlon V has taught me that while it's true that you can play the game "like a shooter", it's the most uninteresting way to do so, and ensures you do not interact with many of the game's best mechanics.

Xater

Metal Gear Scanlon V has taught me that while it's true that you can play the game "like a shooter", it's the most uninteresting way to do so, and ensures you do not interact with many of the game's best mechanics.

That is true for any stealth game every created. If you go the combat route, even if possible, it's the most uninteresting way to play.

hamchan

It is sorta frustrating that this is the MGS to finally give Drew the tools and controls to stealth properly and easily, yet he doesn't want to engage with the mechanics at all.

mintyice

with the possible exception of Dishonored if you're one of those REALLY good Dishonored players

I don't know why I beat that game 3 and a half times, but I got all the cheevos! Perfect stealth in the game with blink isn't hard. I think my playtime on that run was like 4 hours.

It is sorta frustrating that this is the MGS to finally give Drew the tools and controls to stealth properly and easily, yet he doesn't want to engage with the mechanics at all.

I'm convinced he doesn't really make a strong effort to be stealthy because of 2 things, he expects to spotted at some point no matter what and he doesn't want to play methodically when trying to be entertaining, especially when he feels firefights are ultimately inevitable.

BearPawB

Banned
I just don't know why people are surprised.
He doesn't realize that is what the series is supposed to be.

When i play MGS2, i shake down every single guard.
Drew didn't.

He didn't play stealthily through any of the games. Why would he start now? I don't think he understands the games on a core fundamental level. This is partly because of the environment in which he learned to play it.

He never had slow time to just muck around. He always has to be entertaining.
Through 4 games he didn't play stealth. He isn't going to start in the 5th

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just don't know why people are surprised.
He doesn't realize that is what the series is supposed to be.

When i play MGS2, i shake down every single guard.
Drew didn't.

He didn't play stealthily through any of the games. Why would he start now? I don't think he understands the games on a core fundamental level. This is partly because of the environment in which he learned to play it.

He never had slow time to just muck around. He always has to be entertaining.
Through 4 games he didn't play stealth. He isn't going to start in the 5th

Ding Ding Ding.

Part of it is that he is worried it'll be boring to watch if he tries to be stealthy, which is a shame.

KorrZ

Fulton, reflex, fulton, reflex, fulton, fulton,fulton, reflex, relfex...MGScanlon is one of the best features they've ever done but this one is so boring. This game sucks. Doesn't even have much story for their reactions to make up for the boring gameplay parts.

It still has some value though for Drew and Dan's conversations though. Those will never not be great. College Dan seems like he would be awful to be around which I believe Dan would openly admit to.

I kind of figured this was going to be the case with MGSV.

Even in the other MGScanlon series I skipped most of the raw gameplay parts and only watched the set pieces/boss fights and cutscenes.

Unfortunately TPP is about 5% those moments and 95% raw gameplay.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm convinced he doesn't really make a strong effort to be stealthy because of 2 things, he expects to spotted at some point no matter what and he doesn't want to play methodically when trying to be entertaining, especially when he feels firefights are ultimately inevitable.

I think you're right but that's a really bad philosophy. Going fast=/= being entertaining. Especially on a long, strap the fuck in, LP of a 60+ hour game. It's much more enjoyable to watch someone actually being good at the game, or at the least trying, than watching someone stumble through it guided by the world's least knowlegeable MGS veteran.

It's not just a little frustrating, it's very frustrating. And not just because I've played the game and know what he could be better, but also becuase it's boring and repetitive aside from moments of randomness like boxes falling on D-Horse. Like Bruce Campbell said, it's Reflex, fulton, reflex, fulton ad nauseum. It's absolutely the least interesting way to play and to watch it being played.

I think he's been trained to go for progress above all else, especially after some really frustrating situations early on in the series. When the story beats were the payoff most of the time, that made sense. The potential payoffs in MGS V is watching interesting approaches to encounters since the story is barely existent for most of the game.

KingKong

I feel like it should be obvious by now that he's not good at games. there's no need to think up of alternative explanations. its just that it didnt matter too much in the previous Metal Gear Scanlons

I think he's been trained to go for progress above all else, especially after some really frustrating situations early on in the series. When the story beats were the payoff most of the time, that made sense. The potential payoffs in MGS V is watching interesting approaches to encounters since the story is barely existent for most of the game.

Which is ironic because his play style is resulting in more deaths, more repetition, and ultimately much slower progress.

Zornack

I feel like it should be obvious by now that he's not good at games. there's no need to think up of alternative explanations. its just that it didnt matter too much in the previous Metal Gear Scanlons

Plus with his inclusion on the bombcast it's obvious that there's no reason he'd be good at games as he doesn't play them much.

kAmui-

which reminds me, on the podcast they were talking about it, someone was disappointed that
the water pistol
didn't work in the
Man on Fire
fight, but it totally does

source: I've done it.

Does the
water pistol
have to be higher level? Because I tried that and it didn't work :eek:

hamchan

Plus with his inclusion on the bombcast it's obvious that there's no reason he'd be good at games as he doesn't play them much.

I really enjoyed that part on this week's Bombcast when he was like "I didn't play any games" and everyone just laughed.

Curufinwe

Do you have to do the missions in MGSV which are old missions made more difficult, or can you unlock the new missions in other ways? I would really like to finish the game this weekend and am not crazy about idea of doing those Extreme and Subsistence missions.

I mean, he's not good at Metal Gear style games. Didn't he play through most of the Halos on legendary? At the very least, the level of hyper-obsessive note taking he gets with flight simulators proves he's not bad at all games

Alucrid

Banned
Do you have to do the missions in MGSV which are old missions made more difficult, or can you unlock the new missions in other ways? I would really like to finish the game this weekend and am not crazy about idea of doing those Extreme and Subsistence missions.
You have to do them but in all honestly they're not difficult...therr are some pretty easy and quick methods to get through them

Curufinwe

OK, thanks.

I think you're right but that's a really bad philosophy. Going fast=/= being entertaining. Especially on a long, strap the fuck in, LP of a 60+ hour game. It's much more enjoyable to watch someone actually being good at the game, or at the least trying, than watching someone stumble through it guided by the world's least knowlegeable MGS veteran.

Well done, I almost did an actual spit take.

KingKong

I mean, he's not good at Metal Gear style games. Didn't he play through most of the Halos on legendary? At the very least, the level of hyper-obsessive note taking he gets with flight simulators proves he's not bad at all games

think back, how good was he at the flight simulators? it was a struggle just to take off and not crash, which is what made the videos so good (well that and Vinny and Dave)

kAmui-

You don't have to do many of them. I think you have to do like two or three to get everything unlocked.

Alucrid

Banned
I have no idea about how well he plays games but the flight sim videos are like 80% start up, 10% flying and 10% crashing

Xater

You have to do them but in all honestly they're not difficult...therr are some pretty easy and quick methods to get through them

You actually don't have to do them, but I do agree that they are not that hard. Easy A and S ranks on first try for me.

Alucrid

Banned
You actually don't have to do them, but I do agree that they are not that hard. Easy A and S ranks on first try for me.
Really? I only had further missions in act 2 pop up after beating the ones I hadn't completed. What actually unlocks them?

kiyomi

Drew failing to engage with the game mechanics has been a running theme throughout the series, which is a shame. He's also consistently neglected genuinely useful bits of advice from the community because he's worried about being spoiled or because he wants to play it "naturally" or whatever, which is laudable but probably hasn't worked out for him or the viewer.

I wonder what'll happen when he starts unlocking some of the interesting items in TPP, decoys and grenades and shit. I'm gonna go ahead and bet Dan tells him a few mechanics which he tries once and then never thinks of using again. There are cool things you can do with even a cardboard box which he refuses to utilise.

All that said, I do think this is one of the better Metal Gear Scanlons simply by virtue of it being a modern - arguably dumbed down - game. He's actually grasped the controls reasonably well and so it leads to less frustration on his part. It was kind of infuriating to watch him unable to do basic things in the previous games, both from a spectator's standpoint and generally seeing him get annoyed wasn't fun either.

Still, he hasn't entirely sussed the controls which is probably for the best after his exploits with that box a few episodes ago. :p

think back, how good was he at the flight simulators? it was a struggle just to take off and not crash, which is what made the videos so good (well that and Vinny and Dave)

I have no idea about how well he plays games but the flight sim videos are like 80% start up, 10% flying and 10% crashing

I always just assumed that the need for a notebook of instructions meant those were incredibly realistic and difficult games, but you guys could definitely be right. He's dedicated when he wants to be at the very least.

ArjanN

I think you're right but that's a really bad philosophy. Going fast=/= being entertaining. Especially on a long, strap the fuck in, LP of a 60+ hour game. It's much more enjoyable to watch someone actually being good at the game, or at the least trying, than watching someone stumble through it guided by the world's least knowlegeable MGS veteran

I kinda feel this is a mistake a lot of people who stream games make, especially starting out, similar to how a lot of them also tend to skip any text/reading.

Xater

Really? I only had further missions in act 2 pop up after beating the ones I hadn't completed. What actually unlocks them?

I didn't do any of them before more story stuff unlocked. I think you can just do a certain amount of side ops and progress starts as well.

Nero18

I would have much preferred to see them do something like what they did with Dark Soul 2. Have Drew play the game on his own then maybe check in on his progress now and then. Was very skeptical towards the sandbox nature of the game for a feature and that more than anything seems to be the fault. I dont think its a matter of skill and in a game like this with so many mechanics and items, the player will inevitably forget/ignore a large amoung of those options.

Seriously, I wish I could play through the entire game with that setting. It's a fantastic challenges and forces you to improvise like a madman.

they should have just had those settings

extreme

subsistence

total stealth as options from the get go or unlocked when you finish the mission normally like GZ did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom