• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

kAmui-

they should have just had those settings

extreme

subsistence

total stealth as options from the get go or unlocked when you finish the mission normally like GZ did

It's really weird that they didn't actually do this. Seems like such a missed opportunity to give the game even more replay value.

daydream

Banned
beast should check out downwell

game released today for three bucks, might as well be zero for that rockin' devolver style of action

somanyshit.gif

Spaghetti

pretty much echoing that drew is playing mgsv in the most boring way possible.

it's not even the fact he's going the combat route either. he's just treating it like a corridor cover shooter. no planning, no sabotage, no variation on weapons. not even using any of the mother base combat options.

dan isn't helping either, though the most recent revelation that he used a taser to wake himself up is probably the most baffling thing out of his mouth since egg whites/microwave shoebox. he can call in air strikes and support choppers from the ipad app right? why not get pequod to zip in and light up mother fuckers when drew is getting overwhelmed?

just run (for fucksakes use the crouch walk more drew) and wait for reflex. that's all it is right now. i've stopped watching the videos and just listen to the audio for background noise.

Wow, didn't know people hated MGScanlon 5

Guess im the outlier then.

Never liked MGScanlon in the first place because he never bothered to really learn how to play the games and the banter wasn't good enough. The only episode I ever watched completely through was The End fight because it was a glimmer of hope he had learned something. I had really hoped that the nature of MGSV would help some things, but no.

Those 10-15 minute supercuts are all I need.

TraBuch

Banned
Wow, didn't know people hated MGScanlon 5

I'm definitely not enjoying it much. Most of my enjoyment from the series was seeing Drew's reaction to all the crazy shit that happens. I typically skipped over lengthy gameplay sections. Unfortunately, MGSV is mostly lengthy gameplay sections. Fun to play, not fun to watch.

Wow, didn't know people hated the MGScanlon 5

I think it's just that this game doesn't fit with Drew's play style, he finds a formula and sticks to it religously, which goes against like everything MGSV is in terms of it's gameplay. So it leads to some monotinous and boring moments when he's just going through the paces, plus he doesn't seem to care much for the story or tapes so that takes away some of the fun of us seeing them react to the dumb crazy stuff in the game story wise.

Either way I'm really enjoying it personally but I imagine that's what the main problem is from what I've gathered.

DamnBoxes

I'm definitely not enjoying it much. Most of my enjoyment from the series was seeing Drew's reaction to all the crazy shit that happens. I typically skipped over lengthy gameplay sections. Unfortunately, MGSV is mostly lengthy gameplay sections. Fun to play, not fun to watch.

100% this ^

Alucrid

Banned
Oh and I have no idea why he doesn't use iron sights more often. I found them to be pretty good in this game, especially the Tranq pistol

Never liked MGScanlon in the first place because he never bothered to really learn how to play the games and the banter wasn't good enough. The only episode I ever watched completely through was The End fight because it was a glimmer of hope he had learned something. I had really hoped that the nature of MGSV would help some things, but no.

Those 10-15 minute supercuts are all I need.

I couldn't disagree more, the gameplay fuckery has always been the best parts to me, Drew blowing himself up in MGScanlon 1, Drew falling through a hole in the floor in Scanlon 2, Drew killing his own soldier in V, etc. Its what probably made 4 my least favorite, even though I loved all the scanlon series episodes.

I think it's just that this game doesn't fit with Drew's play style, he finds a formula and sticks to it religously, which goes against like everything MGSV is in terms of it's gameplay. So it leads to some monotinous and boring moments when he's just going through the paces, plus he doesn't seem to care much for the story or tapes so that takes away some of the fun of us seeing them react to the dumb crazy stuff in the game story wise.

Either way I'm really enjoying it personally but I imagine that's what the main problem is from what I've gathered.

You have a point, Drew should experiment more, though I imagine that's what'll happen as he unlocks more stuff and Dan pushes him to use it, like with the decoy. There's still a ton of cool toys Drew still has to get.

This is exactly why I watched part one of MGScanlon V and stopped -- that's 90% of the crazy shit right there. It's been a super entertaining series but only during boss fights or seeing Drew react to Kojimaesque nonsense. I'm also a little burnt out after 70 hours of playing the game myself, so I might be more keen on catching up a few weeks from now.

Zaph

It's really weird that they didn't actually do this. Seems like such a missed opportunity to give the game even more replay value.

Complete speculation, but when I saw those mission variations unlock, it totally felt like that was the original plan, but whatever happened during development with Chapter 2 onwards caused them to abandon it and use the few they had as padding instead (which is funny because you don't have to do them at all, so it's not really padding, just the illusion of padding).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing that's apparent now it's that GBEast >>>>> GB West for video features. Like it's not even fucking close. The Mario Maker stuff is the only really great content West has done in a while, and I've loved all of East's content with the possible exception of Vinny Vania 3 because that game is fucking ridiculously hard. Vinny actually going to the community is practically unheard of, Jeff would never do anything like that.

Zaph

If there's one thing that's apparent now it's that GBEast >>>>> GB West for video features. Like it's not even fucking close. The Mario Maker stuff is the only really great content West has done in a while, and I've loved all of East's content with the possible exception of Vinny Vania 3 because that game is fucking ridiculously hard. Vinny actually going to the community is practically unheard of, Jeff would never do anything like that.

Jeff literally did a stream where the community picked games from steam.

Jeff has done Steam Request shows/segments in the past, notably on holidays.

killroy87

I do agree that East content has been stellar in theory. I just gravitate much more towards the people on the West side. And at the end of the day, I've always gone to Giant Bomb for the people more than the content, the content is just a means to an end.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff literally did a stream where the community picked games from steam.

Huh. Don't remember this at all. Unless you mean those live shows where he put a poll in chat for people to decide what to play for the next short segment? I guess that counts but it's not really the same thing.

Scizzy

I do think a lot of the problem with this set of MGScanlon is Drew being worried that he's boring the audience. Which is weird, because the single best episode of the series was the super-methodical, slow paced fight against The End is MGS3.

Zaph

Mainly because of HTML5's wheelspinning when it comes to advanced streaming video (e.g. DVR features, content protection etc) and video codec nonsense.

Seems to finally be moving on now - Youtube showed how to nail a HTML5 implementation and Apple's HLS tech is showing strong adoption (although lacking on desktop).

There is a whole bunch of Warhammer talk in that Cryptark quick look. I'm going to pretend it means they are going to do a warhammer unplugged and no one can tell me different.
If only :( I get the impression studio stuff like that isn't happening at GBeast any time soon - they seem to have no space in the NY office, they're always pushed up in a corner.

Tubobutts

There is a whole bunch of Warhammer talk in that Cryptark quick look. I'm going to pretend it means they are going to do a warhammer unplugged and no one can tell me different.

Mature

I haven't been watching MGScanlon, but if he's only approaching every situation lethally, it'll be interesting to see what happens when every soldier is wearing riot gear.

And Twitch on the site itself. It even kind of hides that it's Flash now, but it doesn't work without it last I checked. But I mostly use Livestreamer anyway.

At least on OSX, twitch works without Flash. At first it loads as a native video player, with auto quality (no options). After a while it seems like you start getting their beta html5 player, which still has a couple issues.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been watching MGScanlon, but if he's only approaching every situation lethally, it'll be interesting to see what happens when every soldier is wearing riot gear.

Underbarrel GLauncher / anti-materiel rifle. That's what I'd do, anyways, if I didn't give a shit about bodycount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom