• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Those old Gamespot Flashbacks are still awesome to watch. I wish they'd do those with the PS2 and the Wii and shit like that. Just mix in GB people with the GS talking heads.

Jothel

Looked up the game on the site and it didn't have any videos attached.
Ah, I guess it is just the incredibly brief appearance in the GOTY video then.

Actually yeah I remember thinking there wasn't more/any video content for a game they talked about quite a bit.

hamchan

D-Dog is a game changer for Drew. Wall hacks making the game much easier for him. D-Dog best character 2015.

Edit: Voice of God Jason saving Drew by telling him where to go in this Emmerich mission, thank you God. Was so afraid he would wander around for an hour not knowing where to go.

Dan telling Drew that he shouldn't get the god tier stun arm because of reason that aren't true...

172.gif

I don't know who I'm more disappointed in Dan or Jason.

Man that Lego Dimensions QL goes from "this is pretty cool" to "this is downright insidious" over the course of ten minutes. The core conceit of a myriad of party members with different abilities and personalities is cool, but having it shackled to a toys-to-life model makes it a bummer. You could make a heck of an RPG with the set-up.

Also, that Portal 2 level did not meet anyone's expectations. I'm sorta shocked Valve greenlit it in such a state, considering their... perfectionism regarding the franchise.

Blastoise

Banned
MGScanlon V is the most frustrating one to watch. Mostly because of Dan's Intel level (E-).

However Drew is playing exceptionally well.

repeater

I don't know, I hope the Bloodborne DLC comes in an reminds everyone at GB what a great fucking game Bloodborne is. I'm hoping its virtues (meaningful but concise story, meaty but non-padded amount of gameplay, etc.) will stand out even more clearly in contrast to games like Witcher 3, MGS and Fallout. We've hit fucking peak open world, this isn't a sustainable situation.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Watching scoops' dark souls iii stream and now I'm really excited to play that game.

Totally agree. Bloodborne is fantastic and what would have been the best game in years for me, if it wasn't for MGSV being one of the best games I've ever played.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff will push Mario Maker to the top. Come on. When was the last time you saw him THAT excited about a game in public? And nobody is going to disagree with Mario Maker being #1
No matter how great Fallout or Just Cause could be, the old "But it's just more JC2/F3" will come up and push those games back. Witcher 3 will not crack the Top 5, but will be on the Top 10 list and maybe Austin manages to sneak Undertale to #10.

Jeff will push Mario Maker to the top. Come on. When was the last time you saw him THAT excited about a game in public? And nobody is going to disagree with Mario Maker being #1
No matter how great Fallout or Just Cause could be, the old "But it's just more JC2/F3" will come up and push those games back. Witcher 3 will not crack the Top 5, but will be on the Top 10 list and maybe Austin manages to sneak Undertale to #10.

I dunno according to the latest podcast he said he keeps telling horses to 'Do it'. MGSV definitely has a hold onto him as well.

Zornack

Jeff will push Mario Maker to the top. Come on. When was the last time you saw him THAT excited about a game in public?

Saints Row.

And nobody is going to disagree with Mario Maker being #1.

No one outside of Jeff and Dan have expressed anything more than a "hey, that's cool!" towards Mario Maker. When there's another game that more of them love, and it's a game Brad loves, I'm putting my money on that game.

Fantastapotamus

Anyway, I hope Rebel Galaxy turns out great. Excited for the QL.

Saints Row.
Different year, different game, different folks

No one outside of Jeff and Dan have expressed anything more than a "hey, that's cool!" towards Mario Maker. When there's another game that more of them love, and it's a game Brad loves, I'm putting my money on that game.

I doubt Taken King is even eligable for a GotY Award though.

It's not just "game Brad loves", it's "game Brad loves and rest of games media has collectively is the best shit".

That's how he wins every time; he bets on the favourite. (Hence the miserable returns.)

hamchan

I feel MGSV gets worse and worse in my mind as time passes. It doesn't help Konami is fucking up with their patches and microtransactions, actively making it a worse game.

Meanwhile this Giant Bomb Makes Mario and subsequent Patrick streams have been the most enjoyable content of the year for me. I've both enjoyed seeing Patrick suffer and get trolled while also sharing in the triumph when he passes course. It's been brilliant and shows that Jeff saying MGSV was higher on his GOTY list than Mario Maker a week after Nario Maker's release is nothing definite, since Mario Maker is a much longer tail sorta game.

kAmui-

That boss fight went really weird

That's how it went for me too.
When Ocelot said get to da choppa, I hauled ass like I was told and got of there before it a chance to turn around.

I think it easily took me like 15 minutes. I ran away from sahelanthropus, it lost me, I was told to go to the chopper and while I was going there I was somehow spotted by sahelanthropus itself or the little pod things it shoots an had to start all over again. It wasn't hard, just frustrating. Frustrating would be the word I'd use for most of the boss battles actually.

danm999

That's how it went for me too.
When Ocelot said get to da choppa, I hauled ass like I was told and got of there before it a chance to turn around.

I went to an LZ, sent the chopper to the other LZ, it sprinted off to meet it there, and then I called it back to mine.

It couldn't get back to me in time.

Moaradin

Did Dan literally play MGSV with the default loadout all the way through without any experimenting at all? The more I watch MG Scanlon, the more it feels like that. The amount of false information he gives Drew on a regular basis is infuriating!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Did Dan literally play MGSV with the default loadout all the way through without any experimenting at all? The more I watch MG Scanlon, the more it feels like that. The amount of false information he gives Drew on a regular basis is infuriating!

You're talking about a guy who literally doesn't know how the alert system works after playing the entire game almost exhaustively. Little he says or doesn't know surprises me anymore.

repeater

I feel MGSV gets worse and worse in my mind as time passes. It doesn't help Konami is fucking up with their patches and microtransactions, actively making it a worse game.
I haven't played MGS5 yet, and in fact I've just started playing MGS4 (my first MGS, having watched Metal Gear Scanlon 1-3 my intention is now to play along with Drew and Dan in 4). I was pretty into the idea of trying to get through 4 pretty quickly to get to (and through) 5 before the GOTY deliberations, but the more I hear about MGS5 and the more shit Konami pulls with the structure of the product, the more I'm bummed out and at this point I don't really know if I'll even get the game. Maybe I'll just watch Scanlon 5 instead and spend my money on the Witcher 3, thereby "rewarding" a publisher that seems vastly more deserving of it.

As a sidenote, MGS4 still looks pretty good, especially the character models. It must have been pretty mindblowing back in 2008. Shame about the framerate though which is all over the place, even in cutscenes.

He basically said he did exactly that on the bombcast.

kiyomi

Meanwhile this Giant Bomb Makes Mario and subsequent Patrick streams have been the most enjoyable content of the year for me. I've both enjoyed seeing Patrick suffer and get trolled while also sharing in the triumph when he passes course. It's been brilliant and shows that Jeff saying MGSV was higher on his GOTY list than Mario Maker a week after Nario Maker's release is nothing definite, since Mario Maker is a much longer tail sorta game.

When playing through it, I thought for sure MGSV would be one of my personal GOTY contenders but as time has gone by I'm lukewarm to the idea and through watching other people play I see a lot of issues that I didn't concern myself with in my own personal playthrough. Whether that's justification for not liking a game as much, I don't know. I guess in the end I enjoyed my time with it rather a lot, but maybe I was more forgiving of its' faults.

I don't own a Wii U or MM but it has been an excellent source of ~video content~ and I can totally get behind the idea that it'll be right up there at the end of the year.

Fantastapotamus

He said this on Twitter though
MGS V kept introducing cool new items and mechanics throughout, and I never got bored.

oti

Banned
I wanted to play MGS V next year or something (gotta save some money) but how can I even think about listening to the GOTY podcasts without finishing it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom