• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

hahaha fuck, really? I mean the game was on sale so it wasn't that much more expensive than the normal version but fuuuuuck man
Yeah, that seems extraordinarily shitty. It's pretty misleading given what "Premium edition"s typically include, and I'm inclined to think this was exactly the intention.

def sim

So I got the Mortal Kombat Premium Edition on PS4 but all of the DL characters are locked and it's making me purchase them? I thought the point of the Premium Edition was them being there?

Did you check if you have all the DLC? I'm pretty sure that edition comes with almost everything.

The wording about early access only meant people who bought the pack were able to use the characters earlier than those who bought them separately. The 25% discount mean it's that much cheaper than buying each one on their own.

Jothel

Yeah, that seems extraordinarily shitty. It's pretty misleading given what "Premium edition"s typically include, and I'm inclined to think this was exactly the intention.

Did you check if you have all the DLC? I'm pretty sure that edition comes with almost everything.

The wording about early access only meant people who bought the pack were able to use the characters earlier than those who bought them separately. The 25% discount mean it's that much cheaper than buying each one on their own.

So it turns out I do have the characters but I had to:
Go into the ingame store and "purchase"beach character for free, each time taking me out of the game and pressing "order and pay" for each character and then on the character screen pressing download on all of them... The bundle which had everything to me to an empty error screen - would've been nice if they'd just been included really

Hey GAF it's my birthday... Yay
onB2RKP.gif

Happy birthday!

listening to Alex describe the story in NBA2k16 is hilarious, lol

I enjoyed that as well. Are there people that really look forward to the career mode "story" each year in those games? I actually like playing an NBA 2k game every few years, but that story stuff just seems like it gets in the way.

repeater

You're right, I probably jumped the gun here.

If you go into the separate entry on the PS store webpage for the "Kombat Pack", it says this:
Save money on content for this game by purchasing the Season Pass. Content can be downloaded from the PlayStation®Store or in-game once it is released.

Kombat Pack grants early access to 4 upcoming playable characters and skin packs. Slash your opponents as Horror Icon Jason Voorhees, or play as Predator, the Ultimate Hunter. Klassic characters Tanya and Tremor complete the offer. Each fighter comes with a themed skin pack including three new skins for select characters. Also includes The Samurai Pack available April 14.
Also, the Kombat pack is priced at (the swedish equivalent of) 28 Euros when bought separately, so that seems much more like the price for a season pass. Good catch, sorry I lead us astray.

Patryn

Yeah, this is always hilarious. It's so funny to me every year how serious people take those lists. I mean, I talk a lot about their GotY, but I actually really don't care what it's going to be in the end. I just like the speculation.

This is also me.

I honestly don't care, but I like the guessing.

Frankly, I disagree with their choice most of the time, but that's because I have quirky tastes.

For instance, I've been super pessimistic on Fallout 4 in this thread, but personally I'm super excited for it. All that pessimism is just me guessing that GB is going to be down on the game, whereas I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up my GOTY.

def sim

So it turns out I do have the characters but I had to:
Go into the ingame store and "purchase"beach character for free, each time taking me out of the game and pressing "order and pay" for each character and then on the character screen pressing download on all of them... The bundle which had everything to me to an empty error screen - would've been nice if they'd just been included really

Yeah, digital licenses are tons of fun. Happy birthday!

listening to Alex describe the story in NBA2k16 is hilarious, lol

I couldn't believe Spike Lee made me sit through multiple ~10 minute, melodramatic cut scenes in a basketball game. Alex talking about it on the podcast was pretty good, but I would have loved for them to show it all on a livestream.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Their GOTY podcasts really bring the worst out of all of them, and I usually never finish them because of this. By the end, it's no longer fun and I just hate them all.

That was how I felt last year which is why I came up with the alternative, but I guess no one liked that idea!

Personally I think that if you kept the discussions of the games focused on their own merits with a little justification from the guys why it made all (or most) of their lists, you'd keep the interesting stuff, and get rid of all the sniping and verbal shitposting that happens in the GOTY discussions.

Patryn

Because Patryn is crazy.

While this is undeniably true, I'm assuming a fuckton out of the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the release of the game.

Only Dan seems excited about it, and even then it feels a bit tempered. For the rest they seem constantly shocked that it's out in less than a month, like they keep forgetting about it.

omgkitty

That was how I felt last year which is why I came up with the alternative, but I guess no one liked that idea!

I mean even when they talk about most broken game or whatever, it's always a fight. You have these games that maybe only Alex played or in the past Patrick, which I guess will now be Austin, and they're fighting a losing game since no one else cares. I think this year may be a little better in that most of the big games have been played and enjoyed by all, and it shouldn't be as much of a crap shoot on some stuff, but then it may be worse with the number of big games - MGS, Mario Maker, Fallout 4, Halo, The Witcher (who am I kididng, no one is going to fight for The Witcher because none of them finished it).

While this is undeniably true, I'm assuming a fuckton out of the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the release of the game.

Only Dan seems excited about it, and even then it feels a bit tempered. For the rest they seem constantly shocked that it's out in less than a month, like they keep forgetting about it.
I think it will still grab them despite them not appearing to be very excited for it. It's been a while since they all played a Fallout game and most of them enjoy Bethesda open world games quite a bit.

Patryn

I think it will still grab them despite them not appearing to be very excited for it. It's been a while since they all played a Fallout game and most of them enjoy Bethesda open world games quite a bit.

And I'm leaning on F4 being the game in which they decide they're bored of that formula.

I also think FarCry fatigue will play into it, since I suspect they'll compare the shooting in Fallout to that and find it lacking.

And I'm leaning on F4 being the game in which they decide they're bored of that formula.

I also think FarCry fatigue will play into it, since I suspect they'll compare the shooting in Fallout to that and find it lacking.
I think that it being one of the few games left that the majority of the crew will play is going to work in it's favour. None of them might feel super strongly about it but they'll collectively like it enough to get it to break top 10.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
MGScanlon V is a bit frustrating, as some have pointed out.

They were so close to actually learning how to kick-gun-interrogate correctly, too.

kAmui-

Maybe they think they don't need to. The game is coming out in less than a month, you'd think if they were going to kick up the advertising they would have done so by now.

This is what I've been thinking. Do they just trust that people know what Fallout is and it will sell without enormous marketing campaign or does the marketing start just before the game comes out.

That is some space trucking shredding in Rebel Galaxy.

Bacon

You're forgetting that brad basically falls in love with every new Bethesda release. Remember skyrim? "They did it, they actually fucking did it."

Curufinwe

MGScanlon V is a bit frustrating, as some have pointed out.

They were so close to actually learning how to kick-gun-interrogate correctly, too.

I'm only up to episode 8 but I was happy to see Drew doing a mission at night, even if that was just from time progressing. I wish I could find a screenshot of the in game tip that explains exactly why sneaking at night is a lot easier.

LiK

I'm only up to episode 8 but I was happy to see Drew doing a mission at night, even if that was just from time progressing. I wish I could find a screenshot of the in game tip that explains exactly why sneaking at night is a lot easier.

night is the way to play for stealth. I honestly don't understand why Drew kept playing in the daytime if he wanted to be stealthy. the nighttime lighting is pretty cool as well.

Haunted

It's not even really my kind of music, but Rebel Galaxy totally nails its soundtrack.

Alternatively, put on the Cowboy Bebop OST. :D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's not even really my kind of music, but Rebel Galaxy totally nails its soundtrack.

That's a good idea. I haven't watched the Rebel Galaxy video yet so I don't know why, but I'm gonna go put on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

Xater

I suspect that's not going to be a consoles feature, but I don't mind because I think the soundtrack the game has is cool.

Dan put him crook.

That's NZ slang for giving bad advice.

Oh that's cool. I like learning stuff like this. Just recently learned "Kia Ora" watching some horror films from NZ

Lelcar

This is what I've been thinking. Do they just trust that people know what Fallout is and it will sell without enormous marketing campaign or does the marketing start just before the game comes out.
It's extra crazy because Skyrim had a huge ad campaign, articles were written about the ads of Skyrim. And it paid off for them too as it sold insanely well for a single player RPG at the time.
Dan put him crook.
Much like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, we all know who the weak link is of MGScanlon. ;)

As somebody who isn't typically a big fan of space games, Rebel Galaxy looks pretty awesome. It's got a great aesthetic and a great soundtrack.

kiyomi

night is the way to play for stealth. I honestly don't understand why Drew kept playing in the daytime if he wanted to be stealthy. the nighttime lighting is pretty cool as well.

Sneaking during the daytime is about as easy as it is in the nighttime as long as you're wearing the right camo and not, y'know, a giant black suit.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Going back to the Witcher 3 after a sojourn with MGS and MM... guys it is the best. This has been a great year hasn't it? But the Witcher 3... it is sublime.

LiK

Sneaking during the daytime is about as easy as it is in the nighttime as long as you're wearing the right camo and not, y'know, a giant black suit.

"giant black suit" also has no footsteps which makes it more efficient. if you like the challenge or daytime in general, good for you. but enemies have better line of sight during the day and you need to crawl more to sneak around. trying to figure out which camo to use for which area is just busywork to me. whatever floats your boat.

but if Drew wants to be sneaky without as much hassle, just do nighttime. Drew did his best in GZ which was at night. he should try it more.

neshcom

Banned
I hate hate hate how the site's top bar has those hero menus that pop up. I keep accidentally clicking on reviews when I go to pause/unpause.

Awesome! I was wondering what happened to the pc version.

I bugged them a couple of times on Twitter about it, and they were always very responsive in assuring the PC version was on its way.

The new "mode" is an arcade difficulty that strips out some of the rogue-like bits, which is something I definitely do not want to do.I'm also interesting in seeing how I can map the controls to the Steam controller, but I think it could work well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This year soooooo many things are going to slip through the cracks with these guys, there were just way too many games worth caring about. Like, have they mentioned Life Is Strange at all after the QL? I feel like if Vinny had more time to play games when he went home they'd have more discussion of games I'm into in goty, he seems to like the stuff the others don't pay attention to. I feel like Austin will have the esoteric list.

Nolan North doesn't get nearly as much work these days and it bums me out.

Dude is really good at not sounding like Nolan North.
I think Nolan is good at voices, but not as subtle of an actor as Troy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom