• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

Drew trying to headshot guys with the riot smg 30 feet away is a way bigger problem than using the sneaking suit during the day

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brad was really into Ori when it came out, could be his Dust 2015...

Ori was so god damned good. Hopefully it at least sneaks onto a few individual lists, it seems like a largely forgotten game. I think of it as a 2014 title myself because I didn't have an Xbox when it came out and just always assume any game I play on PC that was also a console game actually came out last year. I think it was even a simultaneous launch for Ori.

erawsd

I guess that depends on BLOPS3. if Jeff ends up loving the MP like with AW, that will be his free slot.

Yeah, I could even see Jeff trying to get MKX on there, he seemed to be really enjoying that earlier in the year. I could see Alex fighting for Splatoon since hes said that was his favorite game of the year and Brad maybe picking up the torch for Dying Light.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Now Splatoon I'm absolutely sure about. Two Wii U games on this year's list, what a development.

mintyice

Anyone try to play Griffin McElroy's death trap level to stump Patrick? I think it's harder than Dan's level. B2A3-0000-00AB-C911

Patryn

Off the top of my head, here's the games in no particular order I think will make the list:

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3. Witcher 3
4. Rocket League
5. Bloodborne
6. Undertale
7. Splatoon
8. Batman: Arkham Knight

Upcoming games that may or may not have a shot:

1. Just Cause 3
2. Halo 5
3. Fallout 4

Possible?

1. Galak-Z
2. Axiom Verge
3. Contradiction
4. Ori and the Blind Forest
5. Her Story
6. Cradle

Destiny Category (aka how much can Brad filibuster)

1. Destiny: The Taken King

killroy87

Off the top of my head, here's the games in no particular order I think will make the list:

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3. Witcher 3
4. Rocket League
5. Bloodborne
6. Undertale
7. Splatoon

1. Just Cause 3
2. Halo 5
3. Fallout 4

2. Axiom Verge

I say take off Batman and Bloodborne, add in the others below, and you've got the top 10. Axiom is the only wildcard. Batman has zero chance, none of them seemed to care at all. And Bloodborne, it's tough, they all had nice things to say, but seem to have cooled on it (even Brad, who Platinum'd it).

Until Dawn is better than Witcher 3 though
wtzgU.gif

Cities Skylines has a better chance than Galak-Z or Axiom.
I think this is an example of how silly GOTY can be. What an absurd comparison between games that have absolutely nothing in common. People will have their preference between them, but it's impossible to quantify the "betterness" of one over the other.

FWIW (absolutely nothing) I enjoyed Galak-Z way more than Axiom Verge.

Neither would make my Top 10 though.

I can't wait to play Galak-Z on PC, but I really have to play Axiom Verge before the end of the year as well. I don't have time for all the great games this year!

erawsd

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3. Witcher 3
4. Rocket League
5. Bloodborne
6. Undertale
7. Splatoon

1. Just Cause 3
2. Halo 5
3. Fallout 4

Possible?

1. Galak-Z
2. Axiom Verge
3. Contradiction
5. Her Story
6. Cradle

I'd say there is no way Arkham Knight is on that list, no one seemed particularly happy with it.

kAmui-

That's about what I'd come up with. I don't know about AK though. You don't think BLOPS 3 will make it? Also I could see them dropping Bloodborne for something else.

Patryn

I'd say there is no way Arkham Knight is on that list, no one seemed particularly happy with it.

4-star review.

Vinny played it, getting deep into it if not finishing it, and seeming to like it.
Alex played it, and seemed to like it.
Dan played it, and seemed to really like it.
Brad played it and seemed to like it.

Honestly, the only person who played it and seemed indifferent was Jeff.

Think back to the discussions. They mostly seemed positive.

I had honestly forgotten about it until I looked up the reviews they'd run this year and remembered it.

I dunno about Witcher 3 making the list

It wasn't an important game to alot of the Giant Duders. Vinny maybe, Braad...Brad seemingly had more enjoyment out of other games. I can see Bloodborne/Galak-Z/Undertale(Both Dan and Austin enjoyed it) higher than Witcher 3. I doubt they'd put the game on the list just because of the thought of how good it is

4-star review.

Vinny played it, getting deep into it if not finishing it, and seeming to like it.

I had honestly forgotten about it until I looked up the reviews they'd run this year and remembered it.

Huh. I think sometimes my perception of how much they like games is dictated solely by the podcast. I'd forgotten they reviewed AK. Same thing happened when I thought they were disappointed with Axiom Verge until it was pointed out to me that they gave it 5 stars.

I think the battle this year may be over Axiom Verge or Ori getting on the list. There's enough quality stuff that I'm not sure that they both make it, and they are vaguely similar in nature with Jeff and Brad coming down on opposite sides on which they prefer.

BearPawB

Banned
Why are we doing so much GotY talk already? It isn't even close to being GotY time.
This is exhausting and the cycle will just repeat itself in a few months.

Last game of the year was only 9 months ago.
Yet we already are having pages and pages of this.

I can't take it.

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3. Witcher 3
4. Rocket League
5. Bloodborne
6. Undertale
7. Splatoon

1. Just Cause 3
2. Halo 5
3. Fallout 4

Possible?

1. Galak-Z
2. Axiom Verge
3. Contradiction
5. Her Story
6. Cradle

Wonder if any of them will like ROTTR.

Patryn

Why are we doing so much GotY talk already? It isn't even close to being GotY time.

I can't take it.

I feel like it's either this or Metal Gear Scanlon talk.

I prefer this.

I can't take it.

I agree that this talk would have been dumb a few months ago, but its only two months away. Its much closer than you think.

kAmui-

I can't take it.

You're right. Lets get back on topic. How about that Metal Gear Scanlon?

BearPawB

Banned
I agree that this talk would have been dumb a few months ago, but its only two months away. Its much closer than you think.

"only two months" is a life time in videogames.

There are still so many games to come out.
Halo 5
Fallout
Call of Duty
Just Cause 3
Tomb Raider

Who knows where people will stand?

those 5 could be on anyones list.

erawsd

4-star review.

Hmm.. I dont know, I cant say the podcast discussion left me with the impression that its something that'd end up on anyone's GOTY list, let alone the list. I do recall Bakalar kinda gushing over it though.

Patryn

Hmm.. I dont know, I cant say the podcast discussion left me with the impression that its something that'd end up on anyone's GOTY list, let alone the list. I do recall Bakalar kinda gushing over it though.

Could be wrong. I admit that it's one of my more speculative choices.

I just feel like it's the sort of game that while they're not gushing over, enough people played it and liked it that it can overcome those games that only one or two people played and loved.

For those annoyed with this talk, I've found the best way to change the subject is to actually and seriously change the subject.

Throw out a decent length post on another topic and you'll probably get a bite.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wonder if vinny/alex/austin will fight for contradiction.

Good lord you guys have been talking about goty for months now..

I can't take it.

At least it makes a bit more sense now than it did back in May when the Wither 3 came out.

I could see it being on the list before they start cutting and then it gets cut early on.

kAmui-

I could see them saying something along the lines of it being a great game but the experience was very subjective for them and maybe it doesn't belong on the main list.

That's it for goty talk. I promise!

BearPawB

Banned
No, lol people can talk about it all they want.

I just want people to acknowledge that there at minimum 5 GotY candidates that aren't even out yet.

BearPawB

Banned
5? I can think of like 3 tops

Halo 5
Fallout
Call of Duty
Just Cause 3
Tomb Raider

Halo looks great, they were GUSHING over it in that video the other day
Fallout could be great, and the staff have a history with enjoying them
Jeff loves call of duty
Everyone left E3 being amazed by just cause
and Tomb Raider is certainly a dark horse candidate/dan loves uncharted style games

I'm really sold on Rebel Galaxy but I'm not ready to start playing it yet. Super impressive for such a tiny team. I hope it does really well for them.

Joeku

Considering how close the devs have come to Giant Bomb GBeast probably shouldn't do much with Contradiction 2 when it comes out anyway, so just go all-in and do a crossover for GotY videos.

Also, in my heart I hope there's a last minute surge of Life is Strange with it finishing up tomorrow.

killroy87

Halo 5
Fallout
Call of Duty
Just Cause 3
Tomb Raider

Halo looks great
Fallout could be great, and the staff have a history with enjoying them
Jeff loves call of duty
Everyone left E3 being amazed by just cause
and Tomb Raider is certainly a dark horse candidate/dan loves uncharted style games

Jeff was the sole reason CoD made it last year, and you can tell from his thoughts on the BLOPS 3 beta that that ain't happening again this year. Unless the campaign is surprisingly incredible (which might be the case), he isn't as into it this year.

Tomb Raider is tough. It does look very good, and Brad is legit excited for it. We'll have to wait and see, it is a dark horse for sure.

The other three are almost locks, in some way shape or form. Though I do still have some sort of odd hunch that Fallout just makes no impression on them at all.

erawsd

For those annoyed with this talk, I've found the best way to change the subject is to actually and seriously change the subject.

Throw out a decent length post on another topic and you'll probably get a bite.

Exactly. If you want to discuss something else then have at it, no one is stopping you.

Scizzy

Remember, Austin is a true wildcard. His 2014 top 10:

10. Dwarf Fortress
9. Invisible Inc.
8. Skulljhabit
7. Veracity and Purpose
6. Nested
5. Intimate, Infinite
4. Titanfall
3. Kentucky Route Zero: Act III (Austin NEEDS to get this in the GBeast Friday rotation)
2. 80 Days (This would also be awesome)
1. Fantasy Life

Did anyone on staff play any of these games last year aside from Titanfall?

Looks like I'm going to have to step it up in Metal Gear if I want to keep up with Drew. I might have to finally stop doing every single side op between missions or I won't be able to watch all these episodes. I just finished the mission where
you see the child soldier in the hospital and fight the fire guy
(I think it's chapter 20 or so). The game just keeps getting better but MAN the Steam controller is awful for this game. I'm considering just selling it.

killroy87

Remember, Austin is a true wildcard. His 2014 top 10:

10. Dwarf Fortress
9. Invisible Inc.
8. Skulljhabit
7. Veracity and Purpose
6. Nested
5. Intimate, Infinite
4. Titanfall
3. Kentucky Route Zero: Act III (Austin NEEDS to get this in the GBeast Friday rotation)
2. 80 Days (This would also be awesome)
1. Fantasy Life

Did anyone on staff play any of these games last year aside from Titanfall?

That doesn't make him a wildcard, that makes most of his votes redundant (unless he comes ready to convince 5+ other people of multiple games)

Lunar FC

Looks like I'm going to have to step it up in Metal Gear if I want to keep up with Drew. I might have to finally stop doing every single side op between missions or I won't be able to watch all these episodes. I just finished the mission where
you see the child soldier in the hospital and fight the fire guy
(I think it's chapter 20 or so). The game just keeps getting better but MAN the Steam controller is awful for this game. I'm considering just selling it.

Ugh, what were you thinking??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom