• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo 5
Fallout
Call of Duty
Just Cause 3
Tomb Raider

Halo looks great, they were GUSHING over it in that video the other day
Fallout could be great, and the staff have a history with enjoying them
Jeff loves call of duty
Everyone left E3 being amazed by just cause
and Tomb Raider is certainly a dark horse candidate/dan loves uncharted style games
Brad, Alex and Vinny all really liked that last Tomb Raider as well. It will probably be a strong contender.

Jeff was the sole reason CoD made it last year, and you can tell from his thoughts on the BLOPS 3 beta that that ain't happening again this year. Unless the campaign is surprisingly incredible (which might be the case), he isn't as into it this year.
I seem to remember him not being too hot on the demo he played at E3 but after playing the MP beta he started to enjoy the gameplay. If the campaign does some cool interesting stuff then I could see it as a candidate.

Tellin' it like it is.

HiJlab2.png

Just imagine if Scoops was still with GB. The GOTY discussions for this game would've been something amazing. We got a hint of it with the discussion about Ground Zeroes last year. I think MGSV is a good bet to get GOTY (but SMM is a close second). I think if Patrick was still there, SMM would've been pushed to #1 easily.

Ugh, what were you thinking??

What do you mean? What was I thinking trying to use it for this game, buying the controller at all, or using it improperly? My main issues are that the d-pad is a lot harder to use and especially that the track pad is so much harder for precise aiming with the default setup. I think that in theory it would be better if MGS allowed simultaneous mouse/stick usage, as the track pad seems to be a lot better at simulating mouse input than right stick input.

Edit: As a hardcore Nintendo fan, I have to say that I've enjoyed my time with MGSV a LOT more than Mario Maker so far.

Catching up on my QL backlog. Watched the Undertale one on Friday, thought it seemed interesting, and started playing on Saturday... by Sunday night, 18 hours on record. I can't remember the last time a game so immediately asserted itself as one of my absolute favorites (or the last time I spent so much time playing a game in a weekend, for that matter). One of those rare things that feels like it was custom-made for you.

convo

the overall ratio of good stuff to garbage is worse i'd say
Some people can't handle a single mission without cutscenes in MGSV because they've come to like MGS style cutscenes. The ratios are entirely subjective and dependant on the players history with the games. It sad to have less story than usual.

I believe if they just had a reasonable actor even if it wasn't Hayter, they sure as hell could have made much more story stuff than the little time they could get with Kiefer.
Hopefully Kojima learns that some multi-million hollywood actor isn't super suited to an actual game that lasts for dozens of hours.

DamnBoxes

Catching up on my QL backlog. Watched the Undertale one on Friday, thought it seemed interesting, and started playing on Saturday... by Sunday night, 18 hours on record. I can't remember the last time a game so immediately asserted itself as one of my absolute favorites (or the last time I spent so much time playing a game in a weekend, for that matter). One of those rare things that feels like it was custom-made for you.

Here+_703dcefd1fd35eed97346b1bbd830136.gif

Another member of the group. Welcome.

Yeah Undertale is pretty incredible, it does such unique, funny and interesting stuff that it will most definitely be on my GOTY list somewhere. We need more games like Undertale that's for sure. Just from the one play through I've done I can say that.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I'm loving it as well, no other game has probably ever made me laugh so consistently (though Tales from the Borderlands also has a good track record there), but for some reason I can't really play it for more than 45 minutes at a time. I fully expect it will be one of my favorite games this year though.

Haunted

Well that's just not true. There's a quantifiably larger amount of garbage in MGS4, easily.
Haha, that's true.

MGSV's biggest problem isn't even the garbage story in particular, or the bad writing or the poor pacing - it's all the gross stuff surrounding the (brilliant) core gameplay loop. The treatment of women, microtransactions, F2P timers, threat generation systems, real money insurance all in a full price game. A publisher that actively made the game worse with their patches trying to extract additional revenue

I could see the current GB crew (except Austin) not really wanting to get into all this gross stuff, handwaving it away and saying that core gameplay is the thing that counts the most for goty considerations, and shelving its external issues to some secondary category like please stop or check yourself - but my personal opinion is that it'd be really disappointing for them to give a goty award to a game like MGSV if you consider the total package.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Patrick going Full Patrick. 2, 3 and 4 have just as much "garbage" if not more.

Patrick also hated the story in 2 and 4. 2 and 3 at least have some good to outweigh the bad too. MGSV has so little in the way of story and it's all bad.

MGS4 of course is a garbage game with a garbage story that insists on elaborating on its garbageness. He should have expected nothing better.

Zornack

The reaction to MGS V's micro transactions is, in my opinion, totally overblown. People talk about them like they are a huge stain that ruin the game when they are actually completely missable and totally inconsequential.

MM's garbage sorting and sharing features are much more of a nuisance than V's micro transactions.

Off the top of my head, here's the games in no particular order I think will make the list:

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3. Witcher 3
4. Rocket League
5. Bloodborne
6. Undertale
7. Splatoon
8. Batman: Arkham Knight

Upcoming games that may or may not have a shot:

1. Just Cause 3
2. Halo 5
3. Fallout 4

Possible?

1. Galak-Z
2. Axiom Verge
3. Contradiction
4. Ori and the Blind Forest
5. Her Story
6. Cradle

Destiny Category (aka how much can Brad filibuster)

1. Destiny: The Taken King

Come on Life is Strange
and Contradiction

Curufinwe

The reaction to MGS V's micro transactions is crazy. People talk about them like they are a huge stain they ruin the game when they are actually completely missable and totally inconsequential.

I agree. I created a FOB but just ignored it after that and never got invaded.

The rage about them (and the story) is a lot of fun to witness, though. Reading some of the posts in the spoiler thread I can imagine the foam coming out of these people's mouths and falling on the keys as they type.

I'm fairly confident that at GOTY we'll here more negatives about The Witcher 3's patches messing around with framerate and giving the EXP bug than any of the game ruining shitty patches in MGSV.

I'm fairly confident that at GOTY we'll here more negatives about The Witcher 3's patches messing around with framerate and giving the EXP bug than any of the game ruining shitty patches in MGSV.

If you're talking the GB GOTY, I don't think any of them have been paying close enough attention to that to make much of a difference. I mean a game like Destiny that took a year to release a $40 patch to make the game decent got 10th GOTY last year so the Witcher 3 should be fine.

Ori was so god damned good. Hopefully it at least sneaks onto a few individual lists, it seems like a largely forgotten game. I think of it as a 2014 title myself because I didn't have an Xbox when it came out and just always assume any game I play on PC that was also a console game actually came out last year. I think it was even a simultaneous launch for Ori.

Ori is #1 without a doubt for me this year. Every other game I've played (or will play, most likely) this year, have all had little caveats that grind my gears (performance and itemization problems in Witcher, poor back half and story pacing for MGS, etc.).

Ori, however, was pure bliss start to finish. Very rarely do I finish a game and say "wow, I literally cannot think of anything bad to say about that game".

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I hope not, between their patch support and DLC, the Witcher 3 has only gotten better and better. Yes, it was frustrating that it didn't ship in the state it currently is, but it was acceptable from the start. I can understand how wanting to wait for the next patch might be disruptive, but that is a personal choice more than a criticism given that overall the game has been improved (only talking ps4 here).

Patrick also hated the story in 2 and 4. 2 and 3 at least have some good to outweigh the bad too. MGSV has so little in the way of story and it's all bad.

MGS4 of course is a garbage game with a garbage story that insists on elaborating on its garbageness. He should have expected nothing better.

Yeah MGSV is far better than the other games in terms of its story nonsense. Mainly because it doesn't have any. There isn't much moralising or philosophising or gun wanking.

Oh and 2's story is a masterpiece. The writing and translation are weak, but the actual story, themes and metanarrative are top notch. Its story isn't good for a videogame, it is good as a videogame.

DamnBoxes

Ori, however, was pure bliss start to finish. Very rarely do I finish a game and say "wow, I literally cannot think of anything bad to say about that game".

I agree with you. Undertale and Rocket League are other games that came out this year that I have a hard time finding negatives for.

BearPawB

Banned
i love the fantasy world this trailer depicts of bocce ball being played somewhere that isnt the backyards of bored middle aged couples

i love bocce ball.
But i usually play it outside in a big back yard rather than in some sort of official arena.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I agree with you. Undertale and Rocket League are other games that came out this year that I have a hard time finding negatives for.
The beginning of Undertale pretty much sucks. I stopped after about 45 minutes of it.

Myggen

i love the fantasy world this trailer depicts of bocce ball being played somewhere that isnt the backyards of bored middle aged couples

Only people over 70 play that here in Norway. Or so it feels.

Also, the vodka GB got in the mail now looks like a crime against humanity:

CRsipfDVAAA9C5s.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick going Full Patrick. 2, 3 and 4 have just as much "garbage" if not more.

Full Patrick was Patrick talking about Wolfenstein TNO last year. "It's pretty depressing that there's a new Wolfenstein game, and it's almost more depressing that it's pretty good."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHmup1cPPw

Wolfenstein TNO is so good. "Sometimes Christmas, sometimes birthdays."

The beginning of Undertale pretty much sucks. I stopped after about 45 minutes of it.

I don't agree with that at all but it does get a lot better right after that. As soon as you meet Sans and Papyrus.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Scott Steiner follows Dan on twitter. The circle is complete.

I don't understand how Twitter works. I have posted maybe 50 tweets or so, but for some reason 13 people are following me. Why? Who are you and why do you follow me?
Why is a marketing manager from Microsoft (allegedly) following me?
One of them is Sweary who probably just follows me cause I follow him and he is cool and nice dude, but the rest? I don't get it. Is it just a virtual dick thing? Like, "Yeah, I have 5000 followers on Twitter"?
I'm too old for social media, and I'm 27.

Edit: Oh right, the reason I posted this was cause a guy called "Jeff Kerstman" now follows me, which was pretty confusing when I read the message at first.

Oh and 2's story is a masterpiece. The writing and translation are weak, but the actual story, themes and metanarrative are top notch. Its story isn't good for a videogame, it is good as a videogame.

You spelled 3 wrong but it's alright, I know what you meant.

LiK

I don't understand how Twitter works. I have posted maybe 50 tweets or so, but for some reason 13 people are following me. Why? Who are you and why do you follow me?
One of them is Sweary who probably just follows me cause I follow him and he is cool and nice dude, but the rest? I don't get it. Is it just a virtual dick thing? Like, "Yeah, I have 5000 followers on Twitter"?

Edit: Oh right, the reason I posted this was cause a guy called "Jeff Kerstman" now follows me, which was pretty confusing when I read the message at first.

can you follow me?

Myggen

Probably mostly bots.

justjim89

GOTY: Life is Strange

Seriously though I'm hyped as fuck for the finale tomorrow. Really hoping the game sticks the landing.

Or at least puts Max and Warren together as the canon ending just to see how many people it pisses off.

You spelled 3 wrong but it's alright, I know what you meant.

If you look at the accounts that follow you, you can easily tell if it is a spam account. If it's just tweeting links and not interacting with anyone, it's likely a spam account.

It might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but I can see Patrick going back to GB one day.

He's kinda still a part of it with the way he interacts with the guys, which is great. His loss is still felt on the site and I'm going to remain hopeful that one day the stars align.

At least we have his YouTube channel in the meantime.

Dan might be followed by big poppa pump but I am followed by Domino, one one half of 2006 Smackdown tag team Deuce and Domino.

1ce10c3d2e6ba07f306afd7c7db329c6.jpg

I dont know how that happened. I dont tweet often and I unfollowed almost all wrestlers because they never shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom