• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Life is Strange so I can safely say it's on the same level at best.

Can't help but laugh at the people who decry Cage and then express their endless love for Life is Strange and its hella bad dialogue. At least Cage's games are mechanically interesting.

At its best Life is Strange deals with some serious topics that aren't usually addressed in games in a mature and evocative way. At its worst it has teen dialogue in a teen game and tells a story that makes sense but undermines the strongest narrative arcs.

Cage can't write a story that evokes the emotions he always goes on about. Fuck, he can't even tell a story that makes sense.

I love how I just got kicked to a "there is no show" page in the middle of Jeff and Brad's conversation haha. An alright and boring conference at parts. Only thing that intrigued me were Wild, Dreams and DETROIT!1

Dragon

Banned
I just finished Life is Strange so I can safely say it's on the same level at best.

Can't help but laugh at the people who decry Cage and then express their endless love for Life is Strange and its hella bad dialogue. At least Cage's games are mechanically interesting.

Comparing the two is incredibly disingenuous. There is definitely dialogue issues in Life is Strange. There is gigantic plot issues all over the place in games like Beyond. Life is Strange has interesting characters with depth. Beyond has the main character as a plot device and deux ex machina.

1W5ghZQ.jpg

Comparing the two is incredibly disingenuous. There is definitely dialogue issues in Life is Strange. There is gigantic plot issues all over the place in games like Beyond. Life is Strange has interesting characters with depth. Beyond has the main character as a plot device and deux ex machina.
Max is a complete mary sue, Chloe is just a broadly drawn faux-punk with attitude, and it all takes place within a magical boarding school just for seniors where teachers allow students to throw alcohol laden parties on campus. And the game suddenly refuses to let you use your rewind powers without any story context in episode 4 so it can set up Chapter 5's silliness.

It's pure camp and written by people who have never actually been to an American school. It has the semblance of interesting ideas here and there, but it's often undone by the awful writing. Which is very Cagey indeed.

It very much fits in line with Remember Me's goofy anarchists.

Xater

I was also very much into Wild, but anything new and fresh from Ancel is bound to be interesting.

I am with Jeff I would have liked to have heard more about GT Sport. I could not care less about the FIA shit.

Myggen

Heavy Rain is one huge plot hole.

Anyways, I'm so glad GB is doing these streams. Makes watching conferences much more fun.

Zornack

Max is a complete mary sue, Chloe is just a broadly drawn faux-punk with attitude, and it all takes place within a magical boarding school just for seniors where teachers allow students to throw alcohol laden parties on campus. And the game suddenly refuses to let you use your rewind powers without any story context in episode 4 so it can set up Chapter 5's silliness.

It's pure camp and written by people who have never actually been to an American school. It has the semblance of interesting ideas here and there, but it's often undone by the awful writing. Which is very Cagey indeed.

I'm two episodes in and that's how I feel too. The only actual character is Max, everyone else is a caricature for Max to act off of.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't hate David Cage at all. I love his games. The writing is just terrible but that's part of the fun. It's like watching Hollywood adopt some highschool student's deep philosophical thinkpiece.

Zaph

Pretty much. The damn pedestal that game gets put on for including some subject matter not often explored in games, and then fucking it up at every stage of the execution...

daydream

Banned
best thing about the show is ending is not having to hear gaf's preconceptions about what's 'french' and 'european' cause jesus christ

Dragon

Banned

It very much fits in line with Remember Me's goofy anarchists.

Chloe and Max have a more interesting relationship than any relationship in a David Cage game ever.

I've been to American schools all my life. Not to a boarding school per se, but I have been to college which is similar. Besides the alcohol on campus, I fail to see what was so inaccurate about their depiction.

You know what the difference between the two is? The silly dialogue (not bad writing) in LiS is endearing. In a David Cage game it's not. Because you never get the idea that Cage's characters are anything more than a vehicle for the plot. They're very superficial.

Yes you can be reductionist and narrow every character in any game to a set of characteristics (duh) but that doesn't change the fact that Cage's games play horribly and have plots that make little sense.

Life is Strange has bad writing, including bad dialogue. Nothing that happens in the game makes sense, it's poorly researched, and also full of Deus Ex moments.

Alcohol being allowed on campus is a huge deal in terms of actually presenting a school realistically. They literally allow a giant party to be held at school which teachers attend and kids get completely drunk and fuck each other in the bath room. Also weird is that at the massive fantasy party literally everyone in the game attends the party even though it doesn't make sense in regards to the school's social groups.

And I find Chloe and Max's relationship difficult to find touching when neither of them are developed characters. Max is given no history, her parents are completely, ignored, but you don't have enough choice in dialogue for her to work as a cipher.

Either way, hard to actually expand on things further without turning this into a spoiler minefield.

At the very least David Cage's games are far more interesting mechanically. Beyond had a lot of really interesting elements such as being able to control Aiden in a fully 3D space which allows a lot of environmental interactivity that the genre is often missing. Really shows that they took the complaints about Heavy Rain to heart and tried new things. You have direct control most of the game, qtes are very limited, and so on. I don't mind telltale style adventure games and Life is Strange continues in that mold but I found Beyond's ambition to be really interesting and I'm very excited to see how Detroid plays out.

Dragon

Banned
Life is Strange has bad writing, including bad dialogue. Nothing that happens in the game makes sense, it's poorly researched, and also full of Deus Ex moments.

Alcohol being allowed on campus is a huge deal in terms of actually presenting a school realistically. They literally allow a giant party to be held at school which teachers attend and kids get completely drunk and fuck each other in the bath room. Also weird is that at the massive fantasy party literally everyone in the game attends the party even though it doesn't make sense in regards to the school's social groups.

You seem to be really stuck on this. If that's really your only issue with LiS, that's really one particular scene that I've already acknowledged to be strange.

You seem to be really stuck on this. If that's really your only issue with LiS, that's really one particular scene that I've already acknowledged to be strange.
It's not just that aspect, but it's that lack of attention to reality that pervades throughout the entire game's story. Things just happen even if they don't make sense for the characters or environment in which they take place. It's game full of archetypes in a fantasy school with magical powers that never get explained. Goofy stuff.

The Sony conference was just boring enough to have in the background while I was preparing my Halloween (actually Samhain) costume. I'm just gonna need to watch that Wild segment again to properly see what the guys were reacting to.

So, let's talk about the ending of Fahrenheit then :p
I don't think anyone can defend Fahrenheit's descent into madness. Game is hilarious.

Although I give it points for actually trying to portray sex in a realistic, non glossy way with Lucas's girlfriend even if it's still incredibly awkward given the tech of the day. Heavy Rain was major step back in terms of showing sex in a very pg-13, off camera way.

It's not just that aspect, but it's that lack of attention to reality that pervades throughout the entire game's story. Things just happen even if they don't make sense for the characters or environment in which they take place. It's game full of archetypes in a fantasy school with magical powers that never get explained. Goofy stuff.

LiS episode 1 spoilers:

Is it really that weird Nathan gets to hold a big booze party on campus when
he's a spoiled brat whose dad practically owns the school and has the principal in his pocket? He gets to bring a fucking pistol to class without repercussions, alcohol shouldnt be too much of a problem for him
. Note, I'm only halfway episode 4, so maybe there's some information I'm missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom