• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

Is it really that weird Nathan gets to hold a big booze party on campus when he's a spoiled brat whose dad practically owns the school and has the principal in his pocket
? Note, I'm only halfway episode 4, so maybe there's some information I'm missing.
Nah, you got it.

I find Life is Strange's writing and characters a lot more relatable than e.g. Beyond Two Souls'. Doesn't mean good (it's video games after all) but I enjoyed it enough to play all episodes within 2 weeks.

Yo, I'm not one to bang on about spoilers really, but seeing that the game is pretty new and people are still just joining into the game with gbeast playing now, let's not be so loosely gposey shall we?

right, sorry.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yo, I'm not one to bang on about spoilers really, but seeing that the game is pretty new and people are still just joining into the game with gbeast playing now, let's not be so loosely gposey shall we?

Given the story also tries to make it seem like there's decision making made outside of the
Prescots
(security cameras), that hardly excuses what would never be allowed in the US and lead to multiple arrests. Remember, the age of drinking is 21 here and every faculty on campus is breaking the law by allowing it to take place. It's a really big deal legally.

In reality everyone would leave school and get fucked up at Nathan's place. And maybe the teachers would know about that and be cool with it.

Anjin M

Given the story also tries to make it seem like there's decision making made outside of the
Prescots
(security cameras), that hardly excuses what would never be allowed in the US and lead to multiple arrests. Remember, the age of drinking is 21 here and every faculty on campus is breaking the law by allowing it to take place. It's a really big deal legally.

In reality everyone would leave school and get fucked up at Nathan's place. And maybe the teachers would know about that.

Your point is made. The game is unrealistic. Let's all move on.

daydream

Banned
alex retweeted this and it got a laugh out of me

CSWNi_ZU8AAt_KG.png

Zaph

Chloe and Max have a more interesting relationship than any relationship in a David Cage game ever.

I've been to American schools all my life. Not to a boarding school per se, but I have been to college which is similar. Besides the alcohol on campus, I fail to see what was so inaccurate about their depiction.

You know what the difference between the two is? The silly dialogue (not bad writing) in LiS is endearing. In a David Cage game it's not. Because you never get the idea that Cage's characters are anything more than a vehicle for the plot. They're very superficial.

Yes you can be reductionist and narrow every character in any game to a set of characteristics (duh) but that doesn't change the fact that Cage's games play horribly and have plots that make little sense.

LiS's poor writing goes way further than just silly dialogue. There are entire sections of the game where the characters' tone is completely at odds with the events that have just taken place, or they're rushed along to a different set piece to avoid the issue entirely.

Usually in video games we give things like this a pass because the nature of interactivity makes it difficult for developers to guarantee exactly what order each player will hear dialogue or story beats, hence the lowered expectations within the medium. Adventure games, especially the Tell Tale style of interactive storybook, don't receive the same luxury as the entire game is heavily scripted and exists to serve the story.

Your point is made. The game is unrealistic. Let's all move on.
The grander point is everything in that game follows a similar dream logic of things that wouldn't actually happen.

Also only further went into it given someone made a comment in response to whether it made sense or not.

tuxfool

Banned
I suspect people's enjoyment of LiS very much depends on the attachement to the characters and the situations they find themselves in. This will supersede any immediate reaction to the minute to minute dialogue used in the game. The concept in LiS is much more down to earth and simple than anything ever shown by David Cage concepts.

I feel that the inherent weirdness in David Cage stories creates a barrier that distances player from both immediate dialogue and attachment to characters across the full story. Hence this barrier makes defects in Quantic Dream games more apparent to people. The stories are simply not as likeable to the average person.

Obviously LiS will not elicit positive feelings from people without any attachment to any particular area in the game, but the game seems more conducive to that than the typical Quantic Dream Game. Some of their demos like the Wizard demo are pretty neat and employ characters and techniques that none of their games use.

Dragon

Banned
I suspect people's enjoyment of LiS very much depends on the attachement to the characters and the situations they find themselves in. This will supersede any immediate reaction to the minute to minute dialogue used in the game. The concept in LiS is much more down to earth and simple than anything ever shown by David Cage concepts.

I feel that the inherent weirdness in David Cage stories creates a barrier that distances player from both immediate dialogue and attachment to characters across the full story. Hence this barrier makes defects in Quantic Dream games more apparent to people. The stories are simply not as likeable to the average person.

Time Travel is also much cooler than Native American Ghosts or whatever Beyond is!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
In the David Cage naming convention:

Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit)
Heavy Rain
Beyond: Two Souls.

Heavy Rain is still the best in the series.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul is the best game he's done by most metrics, including important ones like goofiest name and most David Bowie.

Patryn

Out of curiousity, how do David Cage games sell?

Because the prevailing sentiment I get on GAF is that everyone, to nearly a person, views them as an abomination on gaming.

I like them. Yet another reason to not listen to me.

daydream

Banned

can't agree with this. in the context of video games, life is strange's setting and narrative themes are way more unusual than the stuff in cage games. i think people enjoy it because it's so different (and, at the same time, familiar since other art forms have dealt with those topics extensively)

tuxfool

Banned
Time Travel is also much cooler than Native American Ghosts or whatever Beyond is!

Yeah. Time travel also ties in much better to thoughts people have every day. I doubt many people think a lot about having a ghost buddy, but instead often reflect on regrets and wishes that events in their life turned out slightly differently.

tuxfool

Banned
can't agree with this. in the context of video games, life is strange's setting and narrative themes are way more unusual than the stuff in cage games. i think people enjoy it because it's so different (and, at the same time, familiar since other art forms have dealt with those topics extensively)

Yes. In video games only.

David Cage touched on American folklore, the homeless population, and the US's military industrial complex and the ways in which the civilians of the countries we wage war in turn against us in Beyond but that doesn't mean it was done well or actually said anything worth thinking about.

Interesting ideas on their own don't add up to an interesting or well put together final product. I mean, I don't hate Life is Strange and enjoyed Beyond but they share a lot of very similar issues.

Myggen

Because the prevailing sentiment I get on GAF is that everyone, to nearly a person, views them as an abomination on gaming.

They sell well enough for Cage to continue being able to make games with almost limitless creative freedom. And my impression is that there's actually a lot of Cage fans on GAF.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Pretty well I think, especially for the type of game they are.
As I said, I like them too but more in the way I like a shlocky B-Movie.

There is nothing better than somebody who just cannot write characters but thinks he has the deepest thoughts in the world. Nothing.
Like with movies, you can't make a "so bad it's good" game on purpose. It just has to happen. Like magic. And Cage is the Houdini of video games.

jgminto

I don't think anyone can defend Fahrenheit's descent into madness. Game is hilarious.

Although I give it points for actually trying to portray sex in a realistic, non glossy way with Lucas's girlfriend even if it's still incredibly awkward given the tech of the day. Heavy Rain was major step back in terms of showing sex in a very pg-13, off camera way.

Realistic zombie fuckin'

daydream

Banned
Yes. In video games only.

yeah, i said as much in the same post

finding a way to tackle that stuff and bring video game narratives back down to earth is not a light undertaking, though, and life is strange makes a very admirable effort to do just that

not everything can nail it on the first try like gone home did

I just think the way David Cage treats some of his female characters is some of the grossest, most disturbing stuff I've seen from a game. Especially when you consider the stuff that was cut from Beyond.

This isn't really a conversation to be having here though and one I've already had a while ago. David Cage games are fun trainwrecks at best and disgusting garbage at worst (which is pretty often in Beyond)

I love David Cage's perceived arrogance most of all. Speaking with confidence is what you're supposed to do when giving a presentation instead of awkwardly mumbling. He's never come off as pretentious or full of himself in the interviews he's given. The pure vitriol some people have for him is hilarious.

Realistic zombie fuckin'
I very specifically said the scene with Lucas's girlfriend, not the horrors that come later :p

Choose your own adventure!

Hey y'all!

We'll live streaming again this Wednesday, and while we'll most likely be finishing up Episode 2 of Life is Strange and maybe get into some of Episode 3 after that we've been thinking of making the show a 1-shot for games. I originally envisioned it as a place to try out a bunch of stuff we're either missing out on or haven't had time to check out but getting locked into one game defeats that purpose.

We may continue Life is Strange in a Playdate. That is a premium piece of content, so I don't want folks to feel like it's a bait-and-switch. Let me know what you guys think below, but that's the direction we're leaning right now. I like the idea of constantly testing games out in one feature, and if folks and we are interested in pursuing them further, do it in another feature for us and those people and leave the testing ground for people to recommend new games.

--Vinny

tuxfool

Banned
yeah, i said as much in the same post

finding a way to tackle that stuff and bring video game narratives back down to earth is not a light undertaking, though, and life is strange makes a very admirable effort to do just that

not everything can nail it on the first try like gone home did

Yeah, absolutely. But the themes in LiS are very familiar to people in general and it helps. Quantic Dream themes and stories are slightly strange in any context (or at least mundane themes that should resonate are tinged with that strangeness).

Myggen

I love David Cage's perceived arrogance most of all. Speaking with confidence is what you're supposed to do when giving a presentation instead of awkwardly mumbling. He's never come off as pretentious or full of himself in the interviews he's given.

I think it's what he says compared with his writing abilities that gives people that impression of Cage.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Whatever, I can't wait for Detroid. From the looks of it Cage is going to tackle racism as well as "Emôtions" this time.
Nothing like a beautiful white lady to show racism. But she's an android. Get it?

This thread churned through some pages while I was gone! I wish I could have seen the end of the presser stream, sounds like it was entertaining.

The "Wild" segment was pure gold. Game looks good too

"We may continue Life is Strange in a Playdate. That is a premium piece of content, so I don't want folks to feel like it's a bait-and-switch"

I don't want folks to feel like its a bait-and-switch, but here is the bait and switch

Lol that's what I thought when I read it too.

I just hope they actually finish Life is Strange, they really don't have that much to go, maybe 3-5 videos left to finish the series I would say.

I think it's what he says compared with his writing abilities that gives people that impression of Cage.
His view has always been that games should diversify and strive to tell more interesting stories. I don't think he's ever tried to present himself as someone who is above others or one who practices the only method of doing so. He just makes the games he wants to make and tells others to experiment. Always comes off as relatively humble.

I hope they don't play Phantamagoria 2 for an hour an abandon it although I think that statement he released said games could spin off into further playdates if needed. Really hope they try to start staying away from games that literally just came out. Go play Until Dawn and Life is Strange if you're interested, would much rather see hidden gems like Bioforge or goofy shit like Phantamagoria.

jaina

Oh right, LiS has time travel and a female lead. If Detroid: Become Human can give me those two plus bow sniping, I'm 100% sold :)

Edit: Hoping for Phantasmagoria 2 as well.

All I remember of that scene was the decision to play a Theory of a Deadman track to it.
It's hardly high art, but it's the only game prior to the Witcher 2 that I can think of that portrayed sex with nudity in a relatively realistic, straightfaced way instead of dry humping with your battle armor on.

Myggen

His view has always been that games should diversify and strive to tell more interesting stories. I don't think he's ever tried to present himself as someone who is above others or one who practices the only method of doing so. He just makes the games he wants to make and tells others to experiment. Always comes off as relatively humble.

But he's a horrible writer, at least that's what many people think. So when he talks about these grand ideas it makes people roll their eyes. Because we've seen his previous games.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Today is the best example of "Stay in the safe confines of the giant bomb thread." On your left, a topic that quickly got to the subject of "Sexy minions costumes." On your right, one out of every 8 people is banned in a 1500 post thread. Keep your hands and legs inside the tram at all times, please.

Sorry, but when most people's first introduction to David Cage is this, humble and not pretentious are the last things that come to mind.

Dude was so full of himself and put out shitty game after shitty game with terrible writing. He doesn't deserve any kind of credit for anything other than being one of the worst writers in the industry.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's hardly high art, but it's the only game prior to the Witcher 2 that I can think of that portrayed sex with nudity in a relatively realistic, straightfaced way instead of dry humping with your battle armor on.

Well sir, may I introduce you to some lovely games from Japan?

But he's a horrible writer, at least that's what many people think. So when he talks about these grand ideas it makes people roll their eyes. Because we've seen his previous games.
But he never says he's a great writer, and his games and the stories he tells are very different from the norm. His message is to experiment which he does. None of that is arrogance.

tuxfool

Banned
Today is the best example of "Stay in the safe confines of the giant bomb thread." On your left, a topic that quickly got to the subject of "Sexy minions costumes." On your right, one out of every 8 people is banned in a 1500 post thread. Keep your hands and legs inside the tram at all times, please.

I have to see this. Care to point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom