• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with the Battlefront fights being balanced in favor of one team, as long as the player is forced to play for both sides evenly. I still have just as much fun playing on the losing side, and it just makes it that much more satisfying when you do pull out a win.

Wish they would've included classes though, thought that was really fun in the old games. I mean you've got a million different star wars units that are already preexisting and perfectly fill in different class roles.

Having fun with it but think it's a game I'll pick up after a discount sometime in the future after a bunch of DLC content has come out to expand it

V-Faction

I spent seven or eight hours last night working on the most diabolical Mario Maker level I could imagine. It's leagues worse than anything I've made before, and I'll hopefully be done with it this weekend. It's got some parts that require some tough platforming, but half of the challenge comes from the puzzle elements I'm putting in. I have to do a ton of testing to make sure you can't reach the end without following the insanely specific set of actions I intended. This will be the one that breaks Patrick. If he can beat it within three days of me posting it, I'll concede defeat. I doubt he'll be able to do it, though.

--- "Testified one, Dan Ryckert, in court, sitting on the trial of Patrick Klepek's attempted suicide. Apparently, one juror has this to say:

"I've known Patrick to be a good man, where as Dan Ryckert has always preached doing 'cool things' for 'cool's sake'. He constantly told me to fulton guys and he often wanted to show me how cool his "D-Dog" was. Frankly, I had to get out of there for 2 weeks on purpose."

The juror asked to remain anonymous.

The only issue with battlefront imo is that its a bit shallow. Like, compared to the original battlefront games, those had alot of character with the selectable classes. And it had a story mode to supplement the game. This battlefront being multiplayer only is...kinda sad.

And that sounds marvelous, Dan. Cant wait to see it!

Yeah I've liked what I've seen of the game so far but I'll purchase based on the depth of weapons/powerups. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with removing classes if you can basically replicate their functions with custom load outs. As someone who played a bunch of battlefront singleplayer, I really don't mind them dropping it. It's the kind of thing that doesn't translate into modern games. It was kind of dinky thing they put it because the game was on PS2 and most people were playing locally or by themselves.

I have no problem with the Battlefront fights being balanced in favor of one team, as long as the player is forced to play for both sides evenly. I still have just as much fun playing on the losing side, and it just makes it that much more satisfying when you do pull out a win.

Yeah my problem isn't with the difficulty in taking down the walkers it's with earlier stages of the map, where an imperial team with half the skill/brains of the rebels can just kinda spawn camp/ own all the turrets which really makes that part not fun.

I spent seven or eight hours last night working on the most diabolical Mario Maker level I could imagine. It's leagues worse than anything I've made before, and I'll hopefully be done with it this weekend. It's got some parts that require some tough platforming, but half of the challenge comes from the puzzle elements I'm putting in. I have to do a ton of testing to make sure you can't reach the end without following the insanely specific set of actions I intended. This will be the one that breaks Patrick. If he can beat it within three days of me posting it, I'll concede defeat. I doubt he'll be able to do it, though.

You realize that every time you try to "defeat" Patrick you're putting YouTube money in his pocket, right? You're putting food on his plate.

You can kinda see thd modes available though(as marked by the "not available in beta" greyed out text) and the amount of survival missions. Unless theyre planning on alot more levels, its not alot :/

I think I remember reading 8 maps, but no idea how many gameplay modes on each map.

I think that the number of modes is fine, but the number of maps is especially bad for a multiplayer only game. I'm wondering what the variety of weapons,perks,vehicles and heroes is like because I feel like that stuff is going to be limited and the beta gives no indication of how many of those there will be.

Yeah I've liked what I've seen of the game so far but I'll purchase based on the depth of weapons/powerups. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with removing classes if you can basically replicate their functions with custom load outs. As someone who played a bunch of battlefront singleplayer, I really don't mind them dropping it. It's the kind of thing that doesn't translate into modern games. It was kind of dinky thing they put it because the game was on PS2 and most people were playing locally or by themselves.

To me the singleplayer felt like Dynasty Warriors with a star wars feel. And setting up jedi and sith battles in mos eisley was the best. And what I mean by character, I mean the special classes for each map. Picking a chewbacca warrior or even the droids, especially the roly poly droids changed how you played.

I havent seen any of that in battlefront and it strikes me as a battlefield clone with a star wars skin.
I think that the number of modes is fine, but the number of maps is especially bad for a multiplayer only game. I'm wondering what the variety of weapons,perks,vehicles and heroes is like because I feel like that stuff is going to be limited and the beta gives no indication of how many of those there will be.

I figure 2 heroes per map. If they dont repeat heroes thats potentially 16 different heroes.

I think I remember reading 8 maps, but no idea how many gameplay modes on each map.

Its twelve maps and there's at least two versions of Walker Assault, one on and Endor and the one on Hoth in the beta. The games also getting the two Jakku maps for free in December. Map variety seems good I'm more concerned about weapons, because right now the guns all feel very samey outside the cycle rifle.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
You realize that every time you try to "defeat" Patrick you're putting YouTube money in his pocket, right? You're putting food on his plate.

I can't monetize the Mario Maker videos, easily my most popular feature, because of Nintendo's bullshit policies. YouTube!

fuck dan ryckert

you think WB will have the balls to put out a "game of the year" edition of Arkham Knight at some point?
Totally, as long as it gets a GOTY award from somewhere.
Its twelve maps and there's at least two versions of Walker Assault, one on and Endor and the one on Hoth in the beta. The games also getting the two Jakku maps for free in December. Map variety seems good I'm more concerned about weapons, because right now the guns all feel very samey outside the cycle rifle.

The weapon variety is kind of an issue and I have no idea if the Star Wars universe allows for a decent variety of weapons beyond laser weapons.

Battlefront has that bare bones feel of a lot of launch games.

I guess getting it out for the new movie was a hard deadline and they decided to go small scope instead of going big and having another broken mess on their hands.

Beta seems fun though. Just dont think I will get it.

FStop7

Banned
Battlefront is one of the most boring PVP experiences I've ever had.

Aimlessly Run Around an Empty White Map Simulator 2016

Battlefront has that bare bones feel of a lot of launch games.

I guess getting it out for the new movie was a hard deadline and they decided to go small scope instead of going big and having another broken mess on their hands.

Beta seems fun though. Just dont think I will get it.

i can see myself picking up the eventually Premium edition for $30 sometime during the doldrums of next year. This is the first holiday season where i'm not feeling any of the shooters coming out, which is not to say that they're not solid efforts.

just aint doing it for me. I'm having more fun playing the Gears remaster online than i've had with pretty much any shooter this year.

i can see myself picking up the eventually Premium edition for $30 sometime during the doldrums of next year. This is the first holiday season where i'm not feeling any of the shooters coming out, which is not to say that they're not solid efforts.

just aint doing it for me. I'm having more fun playing the Gears remaster online than i've had with pretty much any shooter this year.

Yeah maybe after a few DLC and game modes are added it will be a different situation.

Have they announced their DLC plans yet even? I assume there is a Battlefront Premium?

LiK

hoping for BF deal, tbh.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Battlefront Beta convinced me not to get the game. I was hoping for a, well, Battlefield style game in the Star Wars universe, especially the teamwork. But none of that is there. No classes, no squads, no way to communicate with your team. I guess I'll stick with BF4 until BF5 comes along.

Even if that was the case.....so what? That kinda sounds like you think Dan wants Patrick to starve?

Is the Gears Remaster impenetrable if you try to play online? I've got a code for the Remaster that came with my xbox and I've been considering cashing it in because I really enjoyed the MP of Gears 3.

Quentyn

Yeah maybe after a few DLC and game modes are added it will be a different situation.

Have they announced their DLC plans yet even? I assume there is a Battlefront Premium?

Nothing yet, which is really surprising to me. I assume they wanted to get the beta out first before they announce their DLC plans. Might not be the worst idea.

Is the Gears Remaster impenetrable if you try to play online? I've got a code for the Remaster that came with my xbox and I've been considering cashing it in because I really enjoyed the MP of Gears 3.

it's really, really rough to get gud at now. Most of the players have been playing gears for almost a decade so it's a lot of savage as fuck people online. Edit: the gears remaster comes with Gears 1-judgment so gears 3 will be free for you when it launches with Xbox BC

that said, this is the simplest gears so if youre at all interested in getting into online gears then you should play this, really. Here are some tips: The lancer is pretty much useless in CQC unless youre trying to chainsaw someone, the shotgun is gawd, and learn where weapons are placed on the maps so you can go get a boomshot and fuck things up. Holding LB will show you where they are on your screen so that makes that part easy. And play Warzone, which is a Counter-strike-like round based mode where once you die you spectate till the next round. Watching better players play makes you better, too. Last, if youve never played Gears 1 before then maybe play through the campaign on normal just to have an idea how the game plays. Edit: just noticed that you played gears 3. you can ignore this part if you like

The thing with gears online is it has no bullshit. No perks, no loadouts, none of that stuff. outside of knowing the maps and learning weapon placements, everyone is on equal footing.

Strax

Battlefront beta looks and sounds great but it sure isn't fun. Going after pods on a small map might be the most boring multiplayer idea I've ever heard. Its the fucking Star Wars universe and they use podsaving as goals. I just can't get over that fact. The Hoth map makes no sense like Vinny said. Defend some signal/turret, have 3 moments to shoot the walkers and depending on how well you defended the signal/turret the more time you have in those 3 moments?

wuuuuuut

Luke sitting there moping after he gets killed is just the strangest thing

i dont get it at all. Like mentioned in the podcast, users of the force suddenly disappearing is perfectly in line with star war's nonsense, just turn luke or vader into a bunch of rags at the end of their run and that's okay.

I wonder if the reason they cant do that is due to some issue with the license.

KingKong

Witcher 3 DLC reviews are getting me hyped up. Maybe it will push it over MGS5 for me, it's so hard to choose which one was better

it's really, really rough to get gud at now. Most of the players have been playing gears for almost a decade so it's a lot of savage as fuck people online. Edit: the gears remaster comes with Gears 1-judgment so gears 3 will be free for you when it launches with Xbox BC

that said, this is the simplest gears so if youre at all interested in getting into online gears then you should play this, really. Here are some tips: The lancer is pretty much useless in CQC unless youre trying to chainsaw someone, the shotgun is gawd, and learn where weapons are placed on the maps so you can go get a boomshot and fuck things up. Holding LB will show you where they are on your screen so that makes that part easy. And play Warzone, which is a Counter-strike-like round based mode where once you die you spectate till the next round. Watching better players play makes you better, too. Last, if youve never played Gears 1 before then maybe play through the campaign on normal just to have an idea how the game plays. Edit: just noticed that you played gears 3. you can ignore this part if you like

The thing with gears online is it has no bullshit. No perks, no loadouts, none of that stuff. outside of knowing the maps and learning weapon placements, everyone is on equal footing.

Cheers for this. I might have to jump into it even if I'm likely to be banging my head against people with far more time invested in the MP, I remember that happening in Gears 3 MP but I ended up doing decently enough to enjoy my time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom