• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extra life needs to be more than once a year just so that I can get more extended solo Austin streams. His stream from this year might actually be one of my favourite GB streams in recent memory.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
hmm, wasn't planning on it but might have to pick up Tomb Raider tomorrow. sounds great.

Bethesda's still trash I see

tuxfool

Banned
I find it amusing that even good scores from GB will inevitably drag Metacritic scores downward.

Any game developer banking on that must dread getting reviewed by GB.

Myggen

I find it amusing that even good scores from GB will inevitably drag Metacritic scores downward.

Jeff has talked about EA especially not sending them review copies of some games a few years ago because of that.

Yeah it's kind of funny compared to other review sites were a "good" score is usually 9 plus, when GB's good score is usually 4 at the most. I personally think the Game Informer scoring system is my favorite, the .25 interval lets you get a little more indepth with the numbering so it matches the text of a review better.

Myggen

2J0YxUf.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah it's kind of funny compared to other review sites were a "good" score is usually 9 plus, when GB's good score is usually 4 at the most. I personally think the Game Informer scoring system is my favorite, the .25 interval lets you get a little more indepth with the numbering so it matches the text of a review better.

I don't understand how people are able to mathematically define a body of subjective text. The five star scale makes sense because it's just saying terrible, poor, average, good, fantastic. How do you even define that .25?

I don't understand how people are able to mathematically define a body of subjective text. The five star scale makes sense because it's just saying terrible, poor, average, good, fantastic. How do you even define that .25?

I've always been able to figure what number I want when I write a review on Steam, to me theres a difference between a 7.5 and 7.75, not a huge difference but I like having the flexability in numbering to match how I feel about a game, I don't think a 5 star system does that for me.

Like there are a lot of times were I don't think a game deserves 4 stars but deserves more than 3, it's all personal preference, I just think having a more open numbering system is easier to come up with a number to match the content of the review.

LiK

there's something ironic that Vinny's stream is the one that might be lost. the A/V master has been cursed!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, listen, I've had my fun shitting on the graphics and engine, but the amount of vitriol towards people who are actually enjoying playing the game is baffling.

people mad at other people because they're happy. not sure if it's more a sign of "nowadays" or "internet."
Bethesda makes RPG nerds REALLY fucking angry

Sounds like Bethesda still being Bethesda with their broken ass engine.

At least they didn't hype it was a brand new engine like the Skyrim stuff.

isn't stopping reviews from saying "Fallout now in the Creation engine," even though all the console commands from FO3 still work, hah.

myggen's gonna get so many hits on that video

Myggen

Listening to Jeff's whole Fallout 4 thing it sounds like it could be a 4/5 if he reviews the PC version, in other words if he reviews the version that isn't fucked. If he reviews the PS4/Xbone version it sounds like a 3/5 to me. Might warrant two scores.

Will they use the Fallout 4 engine for the Elder Scrolls game?

At this point it doesn't seem like Bethesda will ever move away from that engine.

Listening to Jeff's whole Fallout 4 thing it sounds like it could be a 4/5 if he reviews the PC version, in other words if he reviews the version that isn't fucked. If he reviews the PS4/Xbone version it sounds like a 3/5 to me. Might warrant two scores.

for some reason the PC version has the lowest metacritic of all 3 versions which is funny.

but yeah it sounds like it's a bad idea to buy it on console if you have even a modest pc

Bacon

At this point it doesn't seem like Bethesda will ever move away from that engine.

I think he said in the quick look that he was reviewing the ps4 version. Not sure if he plans on doing another review though for pc

This presupposes that the PC version isn't fucked, and while the framerate would certainly be better it's still a Bethesda game, so of course it's going to be somewhat fucked on PC too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This presupposes that the PC version isn't fucked, and while the framerate would certainly be better it's still a Bethesda game, so of course it's going to be somewhat fucked on PC too.

At least with the PC version you know there will be someone to fix their bullshit.

Not that it excuses them.

Though I do wonder how much of the jank is from how easy it is to mod.

isn't stopping reviews from saying "Fallout now in the Creation engine," even though all the console commands from FO3 still work, hah.

myggen's gonna get so many hits on that video

LOL

Apparently not, especially if it makes mad bank again.

That PS3 version of Skyrim was a fucking travesty but yet they sold a fuck ton regardless

more likely gonna continue my trend of getting the PC version these games when its like 75% off a few years from now (and still not play them) :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like this console generations ports will be the thing that pushes 'everyone has a decent pc that has an interest in 'hardcore gaming''

except Batman

What is a modest PC these days anyways? I have a 560 Ti, for example.

that Digital Foundry article ran theirs on an i3 with 8gb ram and a 750 (a budget card) and it averaged over 30fps on high.

I have an i5 with 16gb and a 660ti and it will probably tear it apart, and it wasn't really a powerhouse when I built it 2+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom