• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I only watched the first few minutes of the FO4 quick look but do they say if the base building stuff is optional or not?

I like Bethesda games as dumb "turn off your brain and walk around hitting things" games and the base building shit looks like the most boring thing imaginable.

Jeff says that he thinks it's mostly optional, but he had only played 15 hours at that point. Going by what I've read it sounds like it's optional.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
From the looks of it they just created another FO3. They iterated on the design, but didn't change it massively. They're using pretty much the same engine that they have used in the past 10 years. One would think that they would have a grip on it by now.

Their games are different from all other games, but when comparing to their usual output, I don't see how this could be considered ambitious for Bethesda.

New Vegas was ambitious. Too bad we aren't getting more of that.

Exactly. I could forgive New Vegas because it had strong writing and actual moral choices. 3 was one of the worst written games that I've ever encountered and it is supposed to be an RPG.

Are Jeff's Mixlr's typically this interesting? He's made statements like these during podcasts but he is going much deeper and hold nothing back here.

Is it Bethesda or the new consoles that are shit? Or is it both? :O

Pretty much both.

Obviously, some companies are able to take what they're given with the consoles and work some magic. MGSV was, by most accounts, excellent on consoles.

But we're still in a space where games are very rarely 1080p/60fps on consoles. It's one or the other. And I feel like that's shameful.

Patryn

Jeff just seems really disappointed that the next gen dream is dead, basically.

Everything is the same as it ever was, but it looks a little nicer now.

The Next Gen dream was pretty much dead on arrival.

I have both a PS4 and an XBOne, and I love them both, but I really felt like game makers were astonished that they sold. I think they thought the customer base would reject them and stick with the PS3 and 360, so we've been suffering through cross-gen ports that have badly crippled what should be modern games.

Meanwhile, we started this gen on par or behind PC gaming technology, and the gap is only getting wider. That's a first.

So we have a situation where the first games for a system weren't super impressive, because they had to also run on last gen, and the games coming out now that are designed for the current system don't look/run as good as they do on PC.

also the wrongest person in games journalism is living up to his title maybe?

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/663762057309720576

Jim Sterling has tweeted that he doesn't feel that the PS4 version has serious performance issues. So, opinions, man?

Different people have different thresholds for what they consider a problem.

Game devs are always going to live just outside their means while simultaneously clinging to legacy engines and workflows. If consoles were just as powerful as PCs it would probably just mean games would be fucked up everywhere because that would become the new baseline to push against.

Bacon

Are Jeff's Mixlr's typically this interesting? He's made statements like these during podcasts but he is going much deeper and hold nothing back here.

95 percent of the time it's just him listening to music. Whenever interesting stuff happens you can be sure everyone in the thread will let you know of it and it will get archived so there is really no reason to listen often

Game devs are always going to live just outside their means while simultaneously clinging to legacy engines and workflows. If consoles were just as powerful as PCs it would probably just mean games would be fucked up everywhere because that would become the new baseline to push against.

But that's the thing, not all PCs are made equal. Devs wouldn't only be pushing up against the 980ti SLI boundary because there would still be 760s out there.

That said, it's entirely possible that devs WOULD push up against that instead, and we'd get a backlash in the PC community against those who are "holding us back." But I would hope that didn't turn out to be the case.

Edit: Good call on pulling this, Mygg. This is excellent stuff.

It definitely has its moments. Him exploding over MM, the Best Buy store clerk telling him his child will love the Lego game, etc.

That second one sounds funny. Do people archive these? I have Mixlr installed on my phone specifically to listen to him, but never actually do listen.

hardcore truth. developers would just use processing overhead to brute-force their way past unoptimized code/ engine limitations.

Dineren

Banned
Jeff actually likes the Fallout app on iPad. I wasn't expecting much, but it'd be cool to actually have a useful second screen experience for once.

Oh man, now Jeff is going OFF!

Saying Activision films should merge with WWE Films to fold the upcoming call of duty movie into the timeline of "The marine"

this is the hot stuff I come to mixlr for

Myggen

Oh man, now Jeff is going OFF!

Saying Activision films should merge with WWE Films to fold the upcoming call of duty movie into the timeline of "The marine"

this is the hot stuff I come to mixlr for

Only the hottest of exclusives for those listening to Mixlr.

edit: This is the funniest picture on the internet:

2543588-brad_creepy.jpg

jaina

The Xbox One version is the better because the framerate drops represent the fall of society and the collapse of the social norm, society isn't the same now so the framerate represents that uneasiness and fluctuation of that, giving only the Xbox One players time to contemplate the hubris of man in the atomic age by making parts of the game cinematic in their presentation.
This is poetry I'd expect from Emcee, so congrats!
Is the GBWest office the real Fallout 4?
4 people sick, indeed

The gameplay in the Fallout 4 QL did not grab me. But at least I know that I can safely skip FO3 and go right to a demo play of 4 (with Steam refund) to check out the characters and atmosphere.

Basically what i've learned from 2015 in video games is "Don't get excited for things and you'll enjoy them more"

The only huge games I've come away from thinking "hey this is pretty nice!" are BO3 and Witcher 3, and both were not games I was hyped for coming into. I think my expectations for Fo4 have been low enough that I'll be fine playing it, but man, I don't know if I can do MGSV again where I just slog through the back half because I don't want to play it anymore.

** Looks up prices for graphics cards **
I bought a 970, but I'm not happy about it. I had every intention to wait until the 1xxx GTX series, or whatever it's called, but I was kind of pushing my 570 to its limits. I can only run the really well optimized stuff like Mad Max and MGS V in terms of triple AAA with that card.

Bacon

I bought a 970, but I'm not happy about it. I had every intention to wait until the 1xxx GTX series, or whatever it's called, but I was kind of pushing my 570 to its limits. I can only run the really well optimized stuff like Mad Max and MGS V in terms of triple AAA with that card.

What resolution are you running? I've been able to max out everything this year at 1080 with the 970

Basically what i've learned from 2015 in video games is "Don't get excited for things and you'll enjoy them more"

The only huge games I've come away from thinking "hey this is pretty nice!" are BO3 and Witcher 3, and both were not games I was hyped for coming into. I think my expectations for Fo4 have been low enough that I'll be fine playing it, but man, I don't know if I can do MGSV again where I just slog through the back half because I don't want to play it anymore.

Low expectations can never let you down, at worst you come away with a game meeting your expectations. I think I've enjoyed every big release I've played this year due to having no expectations going in, the only thing I've had high expectations for would be BLOPS3 and that was only because I put enough time into the beta to know that I'd enjoy the full release.

I truly, earnestly believe that the best thing about NeoGAF is going over to the gaming side and checking review threads for Triple A releases to see people with avatars/username referencing the franchise getting extremely angry at people who have issues with the game.

Low expectations can never let you down, at worst you come away with a game meeting your expectations. I think I've enjoyed every big release I've played this year due to having no expectations going in, the only thing I've had high expectations for would be BLOPS3 and that was only because I put enough time into the beta to know that I'd enjoy the full release.

Yeah I think that's the way to go from now on. At the very least I have to stop expecting games to feel "special." That's probably what killed MGSV for me. I kept waiting for that feeling and it never came.

BearPawB

Banned
Saying Fallout 4 is similar to Fallout 3 is not a diss to me.
We don't get these games frequently enough for me to bitch about how similar they are.

The fun parts of fallout are exploring the minute details of the Wasteland. Wandering into unknown territory, randomly wandering into a tiny side story. And this seems to have that in spades.

I truly, earnestly believe that the best thing about NeoGAF is going over to the gaming side and checking review threads for Triple A releases to see people with avatars/username referencing the franchise getting extremely angry at people who have issues with the game.

The people who attack a game relentlessly for seemingly no reason are also humorous.

Actually, I stopped finding those threads funny years ago. Now it is just obnoxious.But I can't stop myself. Everyone lacks all reason

Like someone literally just said "The king is dead. Long live the king!

Move over Bethesda, CDPR is the new king of open-world RPG's."

I just hate how everything in games has to be a constant competition. "Halo Killer" syndrome. No one can ever just say, "i really like the witcher, and i think fallout looks pretty cool too." It is "FUCK YOUR GAME MY GAME IS THE BEST"

What I learned from 2015 was "don't listen to internet negativity too much when the reviews are good".

Also "don't listen to internet positivity when you think the game is probably not fun" (Witcher)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom