• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heimbeck

Banned
This popped up on my Youtube subscription feed for a second, but it is now gone...

MIA4P0t.png

I guess Youtube service must be doing something.with the archive.

Hopefully this means it will be up later.

My thinking is that Vinny intentionally sabotaged the archive because he hates Europe.

Curufinwe

A lot of talk in the last thread about Fallout 4 being unfairly and harshly criticized. Meanwhile, the very reasonable dark10x who works for Digital Foundry has this to say:

Which really bugs me as it guarantees that publishers will put less effort into such things. I don't like that Bethesda is basically squeaking by here. Fallout 4 is, perhaps, one of the worst running games on consoles at the moment. It hearkens back to the dark days of late PS360 releases. It's not acceptable.

Witcher 3 was bad enough, but Fallout 4 is a much uglier game and has even more severe performance issues.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137446&page=31

Yes. Exactly.

If this were a UbiSoft game, people would be asking for Yves' head. Since it's Bethesda, somehow, it feels glossed over.

This isn't a situation like AC Unity where pushing for cutting edge visuals cost performance on consoles. Fallout 4 is not a good looking game and it feels ancient to play.

Anyone going to post the post counter for the last thread? I'm hoping I made the top 10. It's been a few threads since I achieved it.

mintyice

Did you like Fallout 3? Are you playing on a console? What's your threshold for performance issues?

Fallout 3 was alright!

I'm on PC but I'm hearing mixed things about performance stuff too.

Bethesda jank is always charming.

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

so, uh, is Fallout 4 any good?

If you liked Fallout 3 and you see yourself enjoying another one in a new wasteland you'll probably like it. I'm playing on highend PC, so I'm not suffering from the same performance issues as the consoles (though it has annoying quirks on that platform that were passed down from Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim) but my understanding is if you are playing on those platforms be ready for terrible performance in areas. I'll say so far the only serious improvement to the formula was the streamlined looting system. Other than that, it isn't very ambitious when it comes to mixing things up or improving on their tech.

PC version seems to be largely fine for most people but it will definitely take you a longer than average time to get the settings to where you want them, as they don't seem to correlate to what happens in pretty much every other video game.

I'll say so far the only serious improvement to the formula was the streamlined looting system.

...which makes a way bigger difference than I would have expected. it's nice. this, and the combat actually feeling like a game that came out this decade.

Fallout 3 was alright!

Bethesda jank is always charming.

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

It can be charming. I shot a crab thing in the face yesterday and when it died it went launching into the sky and never came back down. Then like 10 minutes later my character got stuck on geometry when trying to do the animation to use a terminal and I had to reload. It's a double-edged sword.

At work so not able to screenshot it, but: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1121158

You need to step up your game!

Poster rank #17 on GB thread #17. Follow the money.

mintyice

It can be charming. I shot a crab thing in the face yesterday and when it died it went launching into the sky and never came back down. Then like 10 minutes later my character got stuck on geometry when trying to do the animation to use a terminal and I had to reload. It's a double-edged sword..

Isn't the solution just to save every 5 mins or so in various slots so you never really lose progress?

edit: 40th poster in last thread woooo

One particularly funny PC platform issues with Fallout 4 is how a lot of little and not so little things break when the FPS exceeds 60 fps. Conversation audio breaks, lock pick mini game speeds up, you get locked to terminals that you access and have to reload a save to move again, etc etc. Which would almost be acceptable if the game had an actual FPS cap, but it doesn't. It just forces vsync, so those with 60 hz monitors won't notice anything but now that we live in a world with 120 and 144 hz monitor, vsync alone is no way to cap the framerate to 60 fps. I use a utility app to cap the framerate to 60 to avoid the issues, which is easy enough but these engine limitations have been around since Oblivion.

repeater

One particularly funny PC platform issues with Fallout 4 is how a lot of little and not so little things break when the FPS exceeds 60 fps. Conversation audio breaks, lock pick mini game speeds up, you get locked to terminals that you access and have to reload a save to move again, etc etc.
What's the durability deterioration like at 60 fps?

mintyice

One particularly funny PC platform issues with Fallout 4 is how a lot of little and not so little things break when the FPS exceeds 60 fps. Conversation audio breaks, lock pick mini game speeds up, you get locked to terminals that you access and have to reload a save to move again, etc etc. Which would almost be acceptable if the game had an actual FPS cap, but it doesn't. It just forces vsync, so those with 60 hz monitors won't notice anything but now that we live in a world with 120 and 144 hz monitor, vsync alone is no way to cap the framerate to 60 fps. I use a utility app to cap the framerate to 60 to avoid the issues, which is easy enough but these engine limitations have been around since Oblivion.

How many ladders have you shot through the ground on?

Myggen

Yeah.

Dineren

Banned
I must have disliked the combat in FO3 a lot more than I thought because I've really been enjoying 4 and I didn't really like 3 at all. I'm not that far in, but my only issue so far is the dialogue wheel. I really hope that doesn't come to the next ES game. I hate not knowing what my character is going to say and it makes me feel like I need to save before every conversation.

Nero18

Holy shit, reading some reviews and responses from fan, people have NO idea how game engines work and how tough it can be to create one from scratch. Not that i am an expert but i sure as hell wouldn't dare comment on it.

What's the durability deterioration like at 60 fps?

How many ladders have you shot through the ground on?

Yeah, similar situations, however, at least vanilla Dark Souls has a 30 fps framerate cap that you have to mod around, so these issues don't occur without you actively accepting the issues tied to 60 fps. Fallout 4 just says, "fuck it," if you have a high refresh monitor. Dark Souls 2 durability is similarly annoying though not nearly as disruptive as the FO4 problems.

Holy shit, reading some reviews and responses from fan, people have NO idea how game engines work and how tough it can be to create one from scratch. Not that i am an expert but i sure as hell wouldn't dare comment on it.

while you're not wrong, we are talking about one of the few devs with the raw resources to actually do it- if they had any real reason to care.

also that totally explains my issues with dialogue and lockpicking, lol. well now I know.

while you're not wrong, we are talking about one of the few devs with the raw resources to actually do it- if they had any real reason to care.

also that totally explains my issues with dialogue and lockpicking, lol. well now I know.

It's also frustrating for anyone who does experience issues as those issues are generally just shrugged at and given the excuse that it's a Bethesda game.

Nero18

Depends i guess, looking at the games Bethesda has published over the last years, i wouldn't think they are in a good spot to take risks like that.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Absolutely, but people need to stop excusing a big company like Bethesda.

Zaph

A lot of talk in the last thread about Fallout 4 being unfairly and harshly criticized. Meanwhile, the very reasonable dark10x who works for Digital Foundry has this to say:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137446&page=31

If anything, I thought the tone of the last thread was reviewers not being critical enough of the technical state of games. Everything is always "fine" and "playable".

Funnily enough, during Jeff's FO4 mixlr stream I saw Brad retweeted Jason Schreier mocking a GAF post (which was very similar to what dark10x post about being disappointed people don't care, but in a more dickish way) and dismissing it as a typical "lazy developer" rant. There definitely seems to be a divide between people who want a higher priority placed on the technical state of games, and those who prefer to sympathise with the difficulties of game development. The Bombcast should be interesting.

repeater

Yeah, similar situations, however, at least vanilla Dark Souls has a 30 fps framerate cap that you have to mod around, so these issues don't occur without you actively accepting the issues tied to 60 fps. Fallout 4 just says, "fuck it," if you have a high refresh monitor. Dark Souls 2 durability is similarly annoying though not nearly as disruptive as the FO4 problems.
No, I was just joking around, of course you are correct that Dark Souls II's problems were much less widespread than Bethesda jank typically is.

tchocky

Wow, Patrick just lucked into spin catching the pswitch which he didn't know you could do. This will help him later with the pow block solution.

Dineren

Banned
Has Patrick played a level where you have to hit a regular block with an invisible block below it? I think that will be his biggest problem once he eventually finds his way up there.

Just look at the latest Bethesda published games, would say they are in the best spot really.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Softworks

I don't think that is a particularly good argument against the criticism. I can understand using the engine again, especially considering the timing of when development started. It's not like they had an assortment of tried and tested open world next generation engines to choose from when this project began, especially when modabliity is such an import factor for these games. However, the performance and bugs that have plagued their games become harder and harder to swallow with each title. These titles are what bring in the money for Bethesda, not investing in improving their tech will eventually catch up to them. The tone of how these games are discussed has become more and more negative and that's largely because of the technical issues that simple do not get any better. The move to a new much more capable hardware baseline, exacerbated that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom