• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti

Reminisce doesn't do that anymore. It's for watching cutscenes you've unlocked in 5 now. They've likely gotten rid of it because of the immense size it would take to keep up with everything from 1-4.

Your best bet is to just start it. There's definitely callbacks to characters that fans from the start get more out of, but they're not necessary as everything is a contained story anyways.
ahhhhh. haven't played 5 yet, but i would have thought they'd keep that feature.

of course the real solution here is to play 4 before 5, right?

ahhhhh. haven't played 5 yet, but i would have thought they'd keep that feature.

of course the real solution here is to play 4 before 5, right?

yeah. you really should play 4. it's a great game and it introduces most of the key players in 5.

Akiyama's parts are worth the price of admission alone

Haunted

Also, I've been re-watching the "The "No, This Won't Be Archived" Final Live Free-For-All of 2012!" stream lately where they play a bunch of Famicom games.

They play a bit of the JPN Mario 2 game (so Lost levels I guess...)

It's so nice to see difficult levels that are actually well designed instead of all the bullshit we've seen so far in Mario Maker.
I am 100% confident that there are about 10x more "normal", clever, well-designed levels in the SMB art style in Super Mario Maker compared to the Japanese version of SMB2.

Where SMB2 has the edge is that you can play its ~50 well-designed levels in order, establishing a nice flow and pacing with escalating difficulty and no level being complete shit.

Not so much in Super Mario Maker.

ArjanN

Brotherhood was the first AC game that made me think "Boy, there sure is a lot to do in this game.....and none of it is that much fun" which I'm pretty sure became the AC mantra after that.

Botherhood is just 2 again with some minor additions. So while maybe it's a better game in a vacuum, it's so similar that if you're coming right off playing AC2 IMO it's way too much of the same thing.

The collectathon thing was already kind of an issue with AC2, that and it's more comicbookey tone actually probably still make me prefer AC1.

I am 100% confident that there are more "normal", well-designed levels in the SMB art style in Super Mario Maker compared to the Japanese version of SMB2.

Where SMB2 has the edge is that you can play those ~50 well-designed levels in order, establishing a nice flow and pacing with escalating difficulty and no level being complete shit.

Not so much in Super Mario Maker.

Yeah it's kind of the same thing with any level creator, mods etc. Even if there's really good stuff out there, you ultimately still have to sort the crap from the quality stuff yourself, which is why it's almost never as good overall as a curated experience.

Jintor

Bah, playing undertale before coming back to fallout 4 is a bad idea, because that game makes you want another game that is full of charm and character and fallout 4 is anything but that.

i hate myself for playing so much fallout 4

why did i do that? i could've done other things. i wasn't even really enjoying myself

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Howdy folks! On the off-chance that any of the folks who joined me for today's GiantBomb Animated Live-stream frequent here; thanks so much to anyone who came along, it was really a treat! Hope to see you guys (and anyone who might've missed it) next Sunday Night for more GiantBomb Animated goodness.

Here's the archive if anyone wanted to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z4t9axD5s

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

why did i do that? i could've done other things. i wasn't even really enjoying myself

I still want to get through it, but I'm not in the right headspace now.

Maybe I'll actually start one of those visual novels I keep buying.

I know that feeling all too well. Wish I understood why I was compelled to keep at FO4. Despite enjoying Skyrim more, I quit once I had my fill; left the world half explored with trivial progress in the main quest. I want to blame residual New Vegas sentimentality. There, I kept finding reasons to keep playing.

Howdy folks! On the off-chance that any of the folks who joined me for today's GiantBomb Animated Live-stream frequent here; thanks so much to anyone who came along, it was really a treat! Hope to see you guys (and anyone who might've missed it) next Sunday Night for more GiantBomb Animated goodness.

Here's the archive if anyone wanted to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z4t9axD5s

Never knew there was one but watched 30 minutes of it and it's pretty damn good so far. Great shit.

So, I was playing R6 and said, why don't I see what my friend list is up to?

BwHfYHP.jpg

tumblr_n15gzuk69F1t030mqo1_250.gif

justjim89

Is there an easy way to download Austin's Friends at the Table podcast on android? When I just go to the site on my laptop there's a download option but on my phone it just prompts me to get some fucking app. I'm caught up on the Adventure Zone and need some new stuff to listen to.

sonics_standing_b.png

Compare the first two sprites to the third one. Jeff is 100% right, although I don't agree with him dismissing the whole game because of it. Sonic 2 is my favorite, but 3+K is really good as well.

Jeff is wrong. The third sprite looks better. The feet look better and they gave him a little smirk to go with the attitude. He's more blue and less purple. His fists are also great.

Jintor

Is there an easy way to download Austin's Friends at the Table podcast on android? When I just go to the site on my laptop there's a download option but on my phone it just prompts me to get some fucking app. I'm caught up on the Adventure Zone and need some new stuff to listen to.

...don't you use apps to listen to podcasts anyway?

I've been using pocketcast for years now. Wonderful program.

justjim89

...don't you use apps to listen to podcasts anyway?

I've been using pocketcast for years now. Wonderful program.

I just use Doubletwist for my music and podcasts. I like to have them all in one place. I just wish there was a direct download for the .mp3 on mobile.

Jintor

but then your 'shuffle all' function brings up podcasts as well as songs! chaos reigns! the dead rise from their grave, human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together! it's anarchy!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Bah, playing undertale before coming back to fallout 4 is a bad idea, because that game makes you want another game that is full of charm and character and fallout 4 is anything but that.

I got through one playthrough of Undertale and holy shit, is it ever charming. The characters and the world were just astounding. My wife rarely watches every moment when I play a game, but this one had her hooked too. It really feels like a proper sequel to the Mother franchise in everything except the art style.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I appreciate the message and the way it styles it's messages based on the gameplay (even if it's as subtle as a sledgehammer about it) but it wouldn't have worked as well if I didn't find the world and the characters as charming as I did. If there's one word I would describe the game it would be vivid.

I just want a goddamn napstablook plush to lie down on the floor with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom