• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Brotherhood being better than AC 2 is a pretty wide spread opinion.

Yeah there's an argument to be made for either but I've seen plenty of places make it.

It's not some weird outlier position found exclusively at Giant Bomb like the Nuts and Bolts being the best Banjo-Kazooie.

I only played the PC Fable versions.

1 was pretty cool back in the day but I havent played it in years or touched the anniversary version.

For 3 they made some real bad choices.

Megasoum

Banned
Nothing wrong with AC2 and it's a fantastic jump forward from the crapshoot that is AC1 but ACB is just more of AC2 with a couple more things added and the overall packaged being more polished.

So... If I have to choose between the two I'll always go back to ACB but there's nothing really wrong with AC2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't done a survey, but I've seen it on GAF a bunch in threads where people talk about the best AC games.

Usually when I see those same threads people say 2 because of Ezio's arc and how new and fresh everything felt. Brotherhood was when the series was starting to lose some of its glimmer but was still good. Then Revelations happened.

FluxWaveZ

Usually when I see those same threads people say 2 because of Ezio's arc and how new and fresh everything felt. Brotherhood was when the series was starting to lose some of its glimmer but was still good. Then Revelations happened.

Nah, I don't think that's right. Like what the others said, people commonly say Brotherhood was better than AC2. Revelations was the start of the downfall.

Jintor

After reading Tokyo Vice and reading about Tokyo Vice and Jake Adelstein afterwards, I've learned not to take anything that guy writes at face value. The whole book reads like a power fantasy and many parts, including Adelstein's position at various newspapers have been confirmed wrong.

Dude wrote an entertaining book incorrectly classified as "nonfiction." I weirdly still kind of like the guy somewhat even though as a journalist he tends to go super sensationalist and not have very credible sources or research. Part of the problem being that he can exaggerate pretty much anything and very few people in the english-speaking world can refute it. That thing he did with Vice about JK exploitation was widely torn apart as being exaggerated at best, fabricated almost wholesale at worst.

but whatever. just take things he writes about with all due suspicion.

damnit. I had my suspicions but it's sad to see them corroborated

KingKong

It's funny that all it took for people to like Assassins Creed again is for them to dumb it down even further and somehow making this mediocre derivative title redeemed them for Unity enough to get the 8s and 9s again

Spaghetti

Is Yakuza 5 easy enough to jump into for someone who has played none of the previous games?

I like the look of it but fuck Sega why the fuck are they making me go get my fucking PS3 again in 2015.
in terms of story or gameplay? for story there's an option called reminisce in the main menu which more or less gives you a recap. no idea about gameplay, but my first yakuza was 4 and i picked it up fairly easily.

Megasoum

Banned
I went on a Crime movie bluray buying spree on thursday... Bought Heat, Collateral and John Wick.

Re-watching Heat right now... God Damn that move is so good. Mann is so great at using the city as a character... Both with Heat and Collateral LA is as important as DeNiro, Pacino and Cruise. Especially in Collateral.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
in terms of story or gameplay? for story there's an option called reminisce in the main menu which more or less gives you a recap. no idea about gameplay, but my first yakuza was 4 and i picked it up fairly easily.

Reminisce doesn't do that anymore. It's for watching cutscenes you've unlocked in 5 now. They've likely gotten rid of it because of the immense size it would take to keep up with everything from 1-4.

Your best bet is to just start it. There's definitely callbacks to characters that fans from the start get more out of, but they're not necessary as everything is a contained story anyways.

daydream

Banned
Welcome to the winning team

like, i can see some of the roughness in this first game but i'm loving the hell out of it, regardless

setting and flair play a huge part in that so i hope that the latter games don't lose that while improving the combat and whatnot (love me some brawlers so i'm already enjoying the combat, bad camera be damned)

also, funk goes on, baby

Bowlie

Banned
I don't know, I liked that my appearance changed as I went more and more evil in Fable 1. I don't remember if something else changed besides that, but it was the first time I had seen alignment as a mechanic in a RPG.

Man, I really hope Jeff and the guys take a look at the River City Super Sports Challenge. That game is dumb in all sorts of great reasons. Unfortunately, it also controls like ass with a 360 controller, that D-Pad just doesn't work well with it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I went on a Crime movie bluray buying spree on thursday... Bought Heat, Collateral and John Wick.

Re-watching Heat right now... God Damn that move is so good. Mann is so great at using the city as a character... Both with Heat and Collateral LA is as important as DeNiro, Pacino and Cruise. Especially in Collateral.

I thought about buying all those Jackie Chan blu-rays Shout Factory recently put out, but I haven't seen much about how good the transfers are

hamchan

Is Yakuza 5 easy enough to jump into for someone who has played none of the previous games?

I like the look of it but fuck Sega why the fuck are they making me go get my fucking PS3 again in 2015.

You might as well just play 4 first since 5 isn't that much different from it.

like, i can see some of the roughness in this first game but i'm loving the hell out of it, regardless

setting and flair play a huge part in that so i hope that the latter games don't lose that while improving the combat and whatnot (love me some brawlers so i'm already enjoying the combat, bad camera be damned)

also, funk goes on, baby

the key thing to ask is "do I like the atmosphere and storytelling?" because if the answer is "yes," then you're good for the entire series. and those parts only get better.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
"funner" isn't a word. I heard that and was like "I hope they know that funner isn't a word".

I got called out for saying that a lot as a teen. You have to say "more fun".

The show was pretty good. I always hope when podcasts have people on from other networks or when other journalists get interviewed; that they aren't misleading us away from their job. I enjoy Giant Bomb because it's a source without the bells and whistles. Places like Game Informer of even IGN have to hit that imaginary audience or that quota just so they look good. I don't like when websites lie to me.

Anymore I'm getting to know fewer game journalists because a lot of new hires seem younger than me and it's more of a ride for them than it is for me, personally.

daydream

Banned
the key thing to ask is "do I like the atmosphere and storytelling?" because if the answer is "yes," then you're good for the entire series. and those parts only get better.

definitely do, love that stuff.
is yakuza the sopranos of video games?

only have the means to play 1 and 2, though, since i don't have a ps3

anyway, i'll cross that bridge when i get to it

Tubobutts

I don't know, I liked that my appearance changed as I went more and more evil in Fable 1. I don't remember if something else changed besides that, but it was the first time I had seen alignment as a mechanic in a RPG.

That's something that I really liked, both the change of appearance based on the alignment, and how people would react towards you. There were problems with the implementation in the first game since it wasn't that hard to max out skill, strength and will. Unless you went out of your way to avoid it most characters ended up having the same maxed out appearance. There was also the problem of how aging worked since you could end up looking older than your own mother.

I haven't replayed 3 since I disliked it so much, but I feel like the Hero's appearance didn't change all that much based on what kind of spec you chose.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if Jeff will get Guitar Hero onto the top 10. It seemed like he liked it but maybe didn't play it all that much?

It was real refreshing coming after Rock Band. I just wonder how well that thing did in general.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Brotherhood being better than AC 2 is a pretty wide spread opinion.

Brotherhood was the first AC game that made me think "Boy, there sure is a lot to do in this game.....and none of it is that much fun" which I'm pretty sure became the AC mantra after that.

danm999

I wonder if Jeff will get Guitar Hero onto the top 10. It seemed like he liked it but maybe didn't play it all that much?

It was real refreshing coming after Rock Band. I just wonder how well that thing did in general.

Was it Austin on the Beastcast that said a lot of figuring out the top 10 was deciding what to do with games that had only one strong advocate?

So maybe.

Teddified

I pretty much like every mainline AC, I agree with some of the criticism and all that but I dunno I just like all of them to varying degrees. I don't think I get franchise fatigue like normal people do or something.

I only haven't played AC Rogue because I hoped for a PS4 version, but since that might not happen I'll probably grab it for PC during a sale next year.

Strax

Another forum I go to can't talk about male athletes without talking about their hairline. Whats the GAF version of that?

Also, I've been re-watching the "The "No, This Won't Be Archived" Final Live Free-For-All of 2012!" stream lately where they play a bunch of Famicom games.

They play a bit of the JPN Mario 2 game (so Lost levels I guess...)

It's so nice to see difficult levels that are actually well designed instead of all the bullshit we've seen so far in Mario Maker.

There's still no shortage of shit level design in SMB2.

Another forum I go to can't talk about male athletes without talking about their hairline. Whats the GAF version of that?

kevin owens is fat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bah, playing undertale before coming back to fallout 4 is a bad idea, because that game makes you want another game that is full of charm and character and fallout 4 is anything but that.

repeater

DLC in it's most disgusting form. Dan has fallen down a dark hole.
SCrIkD0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom