• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Funniest thing about all this was the rooster teeth subreddit. Those guys were as dumbfounded by the comments as we were, and seemed disappointed that it might hinder any more guesting on each other's content in the future.
That's refreshing to hear, at least they know too.

Now can we please stop talking about/giving it attention?

Curufinwe

I don't think that's fair. People seem to mistake Dan's complete willingness to admit when he has no idea what a Common Knowledge Thing is

Dan, the huge Simpsons fan, doesn't know what a union is? I call BS.

lastexittospringfield10_thumb.png

http://deadhomersociety.com/tag/last-exit-to-springfield/

I don't think that's fair. People seem to mistake Dan's complete willingness to admit when he has no idea what a Common Knowledge Thing is with a weird desire to flaunt that dearth of knowledge. I think it's refreshingly honest to go "I don't know what that thing's all about," and the world would probably be a better place if more people openly admitted their ignorance about certain things. It's not like he shoves his fingers in his ears when the crew tries to explain things to him; he sits there and tries to make sense of the thing he's being taught. Like someone else mentioned, a lot of his knowledge gaps are the mere result of an incredibly flawed education. When I took history classes, unions were these weird organizations that behaved violently and illogically. It wasn't until I took it upon myself to learn about the history of labor movements around the world that I understood what unions were.

Also, yeah, not having to know what a union is at his age comes from a place of privilege.

Sometimes Dan seems to show a desire to expand his horizons but in a lot of other cases he has openly subscribed to the ignorance is bliss philosophy. I really dislike willful ignorance as a trait but I'm willing to tolerate it up to the point when it expands to telling others that they shouldn't worry about this issue or that or to making bold claims based completely on personal anecdotes with no desire to look deeper into very complex issues. Dan has crossed these lines from time to time. I'm not sure if it's to get a reaction or not. It's hard to tell sometimes.

AcridMeat

Banned
Indeed, the only people Giantbomb staff are allowed to hate are each other.
That's not what I was saying. I just think it's a non-issue no one should give a crap about that has been talked about way more than warranted. People with no credibility making silly statements isn't anything new, and will continue to happen.

Myggen

That's not what I was saying. I just think it's a non-issue no one should give a crap about that has been talked about way more than warranted. People with no credibility making silly statements isn't anything new, and will continue to happen.

Yeah. The comments about Megan's Twitter photo etc. especially. Come on now, don't be the shit part of the internet.

I'm also paranoid over petty internet fanboy shit when we saw how close the whole GT thing during E3 almost got this thread locked. Just let it be. Look at the RT subreddit for inspiration on how to handle something like this.

Yeah wasn't trying to be rude, just joking about all the "Ryan hates Brad etc." stuff that's been going for years.

apparently ac amiibo festival starts out slowww, i dunno if dan or someone else is going through the early stuff to unlock the different game modes and whatnot first

doubt it, though, so i'm fully expecting the festival equivalent of a dumpster fire

Everything I've seen about that game makes it look like the most boring thing imaginable, are there hidden game modes that actually have you do something besides rolling a dice?

daydream

Banned
apparently ac amiibo festival starts out slowww, i dunno if dan or someone else is going through the early stuff to unlock the different game modes and whatnot first

doubt it, though, so i'm fully expecting the festival equivalent of a dumpster fire

also, fighting over who gets to play as kk

modders are really doing Bethesda's work for them

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

It doesnt fix the cutbacks bethesda made to conversations but its a improvement.

The entire UI for fallout is pretty crap. Doesnt fix any of the issues skyrim had. Inventory management is non existent. And now we have managing settlers and crafting which are equally half baked.

Plenty of work for the nodding community to clean up. So many obvious improvements.

Let me organise my inventory by type. Weapon type, armour type etc...
Let me see what a settlers job is when I walk up to him.

It reminds of of Gran Turismo 5 where it seemed painfully obvious the people in charge havent played a game made by someone else in 5 years.

daydream

Banned
Everything I've seen about that game makes it look like the most boring thing imaginable, are there hidden game modes that actually have you do something besides rolling a dice?

yeah the board game is one mode but there's actually ~8 "attractions" with different stuff

probably not great stuff but definitely not the same as the board game mode (but also, as the name implies, not as full-fledged, so more like expanded minigames)

also, i think, the more cards they have, the better. judging from impressions, people's enjoyment seems to rely pretty heavily on that

The inconsistency in the key mappings and the weird mappings in general when it comes to UI frustrates me more than anything. Tab to close this menu, Esc to close that menu, sometimes confirm with Enter. Arrow keys to select dialog options, Enter to confirm dialog boxes? Those keys are a mile from anything. No one wants to map those keys in a first person game. The only thing that saves it from being frustrating beyond the breaking point is the fact that you can click any key prompt with the mouse cursor.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's fair. People seem to mistake Dan's complete willingness to admit when he has no idea what a Common Knowledge Thing is with a weird desire to flaunt that dearth of knowledge. I think it's refreshingly honest to go "I don't know what that thing's all about," and the world would probably be a better place if more people openly admitted their ignorance about certain things. It's not like he shoves his fingers in his ears when the crew tries to explain things to him; he sits there and tries to make sense of the thing he's being taught. Like someone else mentioned, a lot of his knowledge gaps are the mere result of an incredibly flawed education. When I took history classes, unions were these weird organizations that behaved violently and illogically. It wasn't until I took it upon myself to learn about the history of labor movements around the world that I understood what unions were.

Also, yeah, not having to know what a union is at his age comes from a place of privilege.

It takes a second to google and literally all he accomplishes by tweeting about it is flaunting his ignorance like it's a badge of honor. It's willful ignorance, it's a bad look.

SummitAve

Banned
It takes a second to google and literally all he accomplishes by tweeting about it is flaunting his ignorance like it's a badge of honor. It's willful ignorance, it's a bad look.

In all honestly, few people, unless they have been in or are in one, and even then it's case-by-case, have an idea of what exactly a union is or how they operate other than the general definition based on the word union. Especially public sector ones. You would have to sit down and read labor contracts and nobody has time for that. Not exactly a quick Google search.

Dineren

Banned
Hope my ISP gets its shit together in time. Internet has been down at home and work all day. Don't they know a live show is coming up!?

AcridMeat

Banned
You just described like 97% of the posts on Neogaf.
Haha, true. Pretty easy to ignore the majority of it.
Life Is Strange on Friday.

I am now very happy.
Heck yeah! Great week for content between this, the stream today, and 3 1/2 hour Bombcast.
Yeah wasn't trying to be rude, just joking about all the "Ryan hates Brad etc." stuff that's been going for years.
Ah okay I totally missed that sorry haha.

edit: Just noticed an Overwatch quick look today too. Fantastic.

Well, I forgot to cancel my sub before it renewed, so I guess I should GB another go.

How far did Drew get with MGS. I remember starting some MGS3 stuff, and that was probably the last thing I watched. I might have a look through for all the Jason stuff.

Well, I forgot to cancel my sub before it renewed, so I guess I should GB another go.

How far did Drew get with MGS. I remember starting some MGS3 stuff, and that was probably the last thing I watched. I might have a look through for all the Jason stuff.

Drew is playing through MGSV after having completed the first 4 games. I don't know what you mean by "the Jason stuff", though.

Dineren

Banned

He finished 3, 4, and watched a youtube video of Peace Walker's cutscenes. He is now working his way through 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom