• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

Who is Gamespot still relevant to? I love Danny, but besides that I never see GAF talk about the site or anyone else for that matter. They're basically a less mainstream version of IGN in my eyes.

Zaph

Danny said:
https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/statuses/685193182204694528
We're gonna make the best GameSpot show ever made. That's the watermark. No more fucking about. We're doing it. Let us know what you want.

Good luck to him, really, but that requires the hosts to pull it off and GS basically only has himself and Mary.

So you guys know how Jeff wanted a window for the control room, but wasn't able to get one?

What if they set up a tv on the wall and hooked up a small camera in the control room and its only purpose would be to make a fake window?
They said on a podcast that's exactly what they're doing.

Chuck

Still without luck
So you guys know how Jeff wanted a window for the control room, but wasn't able to get one?

What if they set up a tv on the wall and hooked up a small camera in the control room and its only purpose would be to make a fake window?

Megasoum

Banned
Good luck to him, really, but that requires the hosts to pull it off and GS basically only has himself and Mary.

The best GameSpot show ever is currently sitting on the other side of the same floor...

Pretty sure that's what they said they want to do.

Didn't he say they were going to put a camera in there with a monitor on the other end>?

Fireblend

Banned

Didn't they mention they were going to do this exactly during one of the office tour videos?

edit: beaten

popo

Danny O'Dwyer ‏@dannyodwyer 30m30 minutes ago
Danny O'Dwyer Retweeted Jesse Gamble
If you're asking me if we're also working on a 100% community focused live show. Then yes. But more on that later ;)

Gamespot community. Gross. He should just read out youtube comments from their videos in a mocking voice.

He already said they were doing that - called it a Virtual Window. I forget where he said it.

Although Dan's bewildered "how much can glass cost?" was great when they said how they couldn't justify the expense of a window. Just give him a sledgehammer and let him DIY.

popo

Damn people are down on GS, they are ok. Really do think GB people go way too harsh on them

A lot of what they put out is bad. Doesn't have to be though. The "talk to the camera" presentation was always lame on The Lobby so I am glad they have recognised the fact.

I can totally see a podcast with Danny and Mary being awesome. It'd be more than welcome in my rotation.

The problem is that it will be video and audio - so expect MAry behind the scenes at least some of the time.

Also I suspect it will be Danny plus rotating guests - rather than a GS staff thing.

Zaph

Dh5yRBI.png

Fagyn5E.gif

Nero18

A lot of what they put out is bad. Doesn't have to be though. The "talk to the camera" presentation was always lame on The Lobby so I am glad they have recognised the fact.

The Lobby itself though was pretty great imo compared to some of the other things happening in games media. Also, they way they usually talk about it, a lot of what they actually put out seemed to be aimed at a way more casual audience, and for what its doing its pretty ok.

Nero18

If they had one person who had the natural comedic timing and charisma as Jeff or Ryan, Id take this at least a little seriously. Danny,s great , but he's not at that level.

Im guessing what you're calling "natural comedic timing" took years to develope for both those guys. It even takes time to just act naturally on a show. Ryan also was very much into just the smaller details of comedy.

Seems fine to me. Based on the video and Tweets they seem to have a clean slate to do what they want. If they are going to put maximum effort in, then they might as well shoot for the stars

With what crew to support it? There's like maybe three or four people at GameSpot who don't come off as automatons.

danm999

Even Giant bombs automatons are more interesting.

images

I like Danny and Mary but I haven't really seen much f anyone else at Gamespot. This also isn't the sites fault but their audience creeps me out.

Brashnir

Man he really needs to fix that dropped frames issue... If it's the webcam then just turn it of. It's really annoying.

He removed the webcam that started it, but it keeps happening to a lesser degree even with the old one. There's probably a driver conflict somewhere.

jaina

Thanks for the Lobby video Keyser.
I liked Danny's "some Lobby topics were a bit too clickbaity, to get people interested in it" sentence. But I really wonder whether there's an audience for any new form their show might take. I'll give it a try and hope for a good on air crew.

With what crew to support it? There's like maybe three or four people at GameSpot who don't come of as automatons.

All Gamespot's current content is either scripted or planned out. Even the Lobby, which had a more carefree nature, had preplanned blocks decided beforehand. Danny even admitted in the latest video that they purposely talked about baity subjects so they could break the show out into Youtube clips afterwards. Of course people are going to come across as vapid when almost all there discussion points are preplanned.

If the new show is going to be more open, and a bit of the cuff, then I think some of the GS crew could shine. There is a reason why many of the GS staff shine when they appear on Giant Bomb, and that is simply because the content they find themselves in is less restrictive. Gamespot (as a whole) is never going to adopt that same feel that Giant Bomb has, but if this one show lets people be themselves (for at least an hour) there is a chance it could be great.

Fireblend

Banned
The problem is that it will be video and audio - so expect MAry behind the scenes at least some of the time.

Also I suspect it will be Danny plus rotating guests - rather than a GS staff thing.

I don't really care about the format. I like Danny enough that I'll give it a shot regardless and Mary would be great even if she's not a regular. And hey, I don't know who else will be on it but they might as well be fun. I'll look forward to whatever they put out. No need to shoot them down now.

I know that GS still has some traffic (that videogames.com power) but i don't imagine they're doing giant bomb numbers on their videos, right? What's the biggest hit they have on youtube outside of E3 livestreaming stuff?

Nero18

I know that GS still has some traffic (that videogames.com power) but i don't imagine they're doing giant bomb numbers on their videos, right? What's the biggest hit they have on youtube outside of E3 livestreaming stuff?

Their shorter videos probably do pretty well, the longer ones not as much.

Danny's great and all, but this is supremely naive and borderline arrogant.
Danny is smart, funny and articulate. He's easily in the top tier of video game enthusiasts, ahead of many of the GB guys.

The only issue is, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have much of the same talent around him like Jeff did during Gamespot from 2000 onwards. Only Mary is really close.

Zaph

Their Youtube channel is odd, they have over 2 million subscribers, but most videos get like 5-40k views.

Megasoum

Banned
The walljump level from AGDQ is a prime example of why it's super dumb that both Dan and Jeff stubbornly act like the NSMB tileset doesn't exist.

So many great missed opportunities.

Videos don't make money.

hey, i didn't say that they did.

I was just wondering what their numbers are as fair as how well their videos are engaging their community. I wonder if someone over at CBSi is wondering if it's worth the effort or not

Their Youtube channel is odd, they have over 2 million subscribers, but most videos get like 5-40k views.

thanks! i can't check youtube at work so that's helpful

danm999

Since Brad seems to dig Ori and Super Meat boy style precision platforming maybe NSMB tile sets are the way to hook him.

Danny is smart, funny and articulate. He's easily in the top tier of video game enthusiasts, ahead of many of the GB guys.

The only issue is, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have much of the same talent around him like Jeff did during Gamespot from 2000 onwards. Only Mary is really close.

I don't think either of them are good hosts, though. They're great when they don't have to drive the conversation.

That's the thing. I'm not exactly sure anybody else at GameSpot has the level of passion Danny seems to have for this reworking of the Lobby. He'd have a better shot with the "We're going to make the best thing ever" approach if he was talking about the Point, which is miles ahead of the Lobby and already largely Danny-centric.

That's the thing. I'm not exactly sure anybody else at GameSpot has the level of passion Danny seems to have for this reworking of the Lobby.

I...don't really think we have nearly enough of an idea about the GameSpot dynamics to say that.

"No one else has Danny's passion" is like a reskinned "Brad's going to quit because he hates ___"

popo

One thing to remember is that if GS were overhauled to the tastes of this thread it would be a much better site but would likely lose a significant proportion of it's core audience. It is to the credit of their bosses that they continue to let Danny run with his ideas, even though the traffic doesn't support it. Separating shills like Watters out in to a dedicated "sponsored content" division is smart too. Now they don't have to pretend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom