• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't that Luke? Or is that something else Lucas lifted from the OT.

What? No. When Ben Kenobi(Obi-Wan for you) trained Luke, he didn't hesitate or cite Jedi code. When Anakin was trained by Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Ben Kenobi was the one originally protesting about it since the Jedi code had a strict rule against training older boys. This is because the children needed to learn how to control their emotions from young age, since emotion is a gateway to the dark side. After the events of the PT, Ben Kenobi was not only disillusioned with the Jedi ways, having followed in Qui-Gonns footsteps, but when he trained Luke he did it with the knowledge that to fully harness the force you need to have an equal understanding of both sides.

The force calls to Danny, just let it in....

lwv9Syr.png

Jothel

Thinking about it, I wonder how much of the overall theme for last year's GOTY just came from Jeff wanting to do a grocery haul video?

danm999

What? No. When Ben Kenobi(Obi-Wan for you) trained Luke, he didn't hesitate or cite Jedi code. When Anakin was trained by Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Ben Kenobi was the one originally protesting about it since the Jedi code had a strict rule against training older boys. This is because the children needed to learn how to control their emotions from young age, since emotion is a gateway to the dark side. After the events of the PT, Ben Kenobi was not only disillusioned with the Jedi ways, having followed in Qui-Gonns footsteps, but when he trained Luke he did it with the knowledge that to fully harness the force you need to have an equal understanding of both sides.

I could have sworn Yoda gave Kenobi some push back on Luke being too old in Empire.

I could have sworn Yoda gave Kenobi some push back on Luke being too old in Empire.

That's because Yoda is an asshole. That is why he lost his jedi temple. Like Qui-Gonn, Ben Kenobi understood that the way to master the force was to dabble in both sides, that age didn't matter as long as you understood that to delve deeply into your emotions was to delve into the Dark Side, but to use both your emotions while control which ones you exert gave you the most strength.

Yoda was just an old fashioned ass.

Tubobutts

I don't have the attention span for movies to watch it in a theater. Might watch it if it hits Netflix or Hulu or something.

That's something I realized when I saw Spectre. It was the first movie I had seen in a theater for a while and it was weird not doing something else while watching it.

You know I actually don't see why Obi Wan couldn't have just trained Luke himself then. It's not like they did anything physical that ghost Obi Wan couldn't have showed him.

Ben Kenobi understood that his time was limited. When he disappeared against Vader, he did it with the knowledge that he would be able to watch over Luke. Ben Kenobi had already failed one apprentice, so Yoda was the best runner up of sorts, after all he is older and wiser(But an asshole.)

danm999

Ben Kenobi understood that his time was limited. When he disappeared against Vader, he did it with the knowledge that he would be able to watch over Luke. Ben Kenobi had already failed one apprentice, so Yoda was the best runner up of sorts, after all he is older and wiser(But an asshole.)

I prefer to believe he's just lazy. Hell, he doesn't even finish his fights with Vader, preferring to let the kid burn, then GTFO to ghost town before the fight was over.

Lazy Obi Wan.

I wonder how far down the Food Network had to go on the "star wars guest appearance" list to get to Johhny V.

I want to see that list.

At the top you got Harrison Ford and at the bottom you probably got grown up Jake Loyd. How close to Jake Loyd in Johnny V?

No there's a whole plot point in Phantom Menace where Quigon petitions to train Anakin and the council declines because he's too old.

They deserved to have been destroyed by Anakin. I mean, the Jedi are Lawful Evil, while the Sith are Chaotic Evil. Sure Jedi preach this whole 'Follow the Light side, enforce justice, be arbiters' but really they're no different than a man with his finger on the nuclear button. Atleast the Dark Side know they're evil, and they embrace their emotions so they're not cold, emotionless machines like the Jedi.

Them denying Anakin was them denying change, it was them being ignorant to change and trying to uphold the old ways. They're bigots.

danm999

No there's a whole plot point in Phantom Menace where Quigon petitions to train Anakin and the council declines because he's too old.

That's right.

But Yoda too initially refuses to train Luke because he was too old but was basically too old himself to give a fuck at that point.

They deserved to have been destroyed by Anakin. I mean, the Jedi are Lawful Evil, while the Sith are Chaotic Evil. Sure Jedi preach this whole 'Follow the Light side, enforce justice, be arbiters' but really they're no different than a man with his finger on the nuclear button. Atleast the Dark Side know they're evil, and they embrace their emotions so they're not cold, emotionless machines like the Jedi.

Them denying Anakin was them denying change, it was them being ignorant to change and trying to uphold the old ways. They're bigots.

Uh it's a tragedy that the Prequels didn't have better scripts to flesh all this out. As it stands Kotor 2 does a much better job of demonstrating how sanctimonious and hypocritical the Jedi Order's selective pacifism actually is.

That's right.

But Yoda too initially refuses to train Luke because he was too old but was basically too old himself to give a fuck at that point.

He only does it after realizing that Luke is possibly the last 'Proper' Jedi.

Uh it's a tragedy that the Prequels didn't have better scripts to flesh all this out. As it stands Kotor 2 does a much better job of demonstrating how sanctimonious and hypocritical the Jedi Order's selective pacifism actually is.

Yeah. For all the political talk they did, they could've delved deeper into the Jedi. Like, in hindsight and parsing out the important bits, and piecing together things between the OT and PT you can kinda realize the important parts of each faction and person, and how they all weave together. They don't go into it in the movies, but it's obvious that the Jedi hold on to much to their ancient ways and are kind of backwards when you dissect and dive into it.

Jintor

That Designer Notes interview with Chris Avellone where they talked a little bit about his view on Star Wars when he was writing KOTOR 2 was pretty interesting.

where's the first life is strange playdate? also, how do i find the chat archive on qlcrew?

/edit nevermind turns out there's a big button

neshcom

Banned
Pony Island is a game. I wasn't disappointed, but it's something that maybe overstays its welcome. The nice surprises are hidden under just a little too much glib and not enough resolution or understanding. Maybe if it was a half hour shorter, it would be more impactful.

demidar

That's what they said they got when they were looking at the beers, we're the ones shortening it.

Ah okay. I've been watching AGDQ most of the time so I'm behind on podcasts/videos. I just didn't expect Americans to be familiar with VB enough for it to know its abbreviation, hence my confusion.

But most of the people posting here at this time are Australian I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom