• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoggy

Dan's biggest audience is probably comprised of people who think his activities outside GB are stupid and declared themselves done with his schtick (multiple times).

I'm delighting in the work he's currently doing with the Dark Soul's community.

vinny and brad during their souls playthroughs would try to give in to all the bullshit criticism they got.

dan is doing the complete opposite. it is really satisfying

hamchan

I liked being in the Souls community when it was just a small bunch of people who had imported the Asian version of Demon's Souls, not knowing much about it and then discovering how awesome it was.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I liked being in the Souls community when it was just a small bunch of people who had imported the Asian version of Demon's Souls, not knowing much about it and then discovering how awesome it was.
Was that before it was cool?

If he could stomach it, Dan putting in to do a site playthrough of Persona 5 when it comes out, and actually tagging it with "Endurance Run" on the site could be one of the greatest pieces of serial content ever.

Patrick and Ryan's run through Chrono Trigger has yet to be topped.

daveo42

Banned
I wonder if dan is doing those things just to piss off the DS community. I'm so glad he's playing the game how he wants and not "how he should be."

He's probably trolling the community for sure, but probably just because of the whole "if you don't play it this one way, you're doing it wrong" theme. If is that, then I'm fine with it. No one should get all bent out of shape cause you want to play a game a specific way. Have fun playing how you play and either ignore the haters or (if you're Dan) troll the ever-loving shit out of them.

This reminds me of the Not liking gaming anymore because of the community thread.

The Giant Bomb thread was also better in 2008 when they were in the small basement in Sausalito.

The funny thing is these are both probably true.

The first time I tried dark souls I thought it was bad because the community talked up how hard it was. I immediately tried to go through the graveyard and thought the game was just bullshit hard, uninstalled.

Heard that was the wrong way to go 6 months later, reinstalled it and loved it. The game wasn't nearly as hard as the fans would have you believe. They totally scared me away from the game for a long time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The twitch chat is glorious. First they get mad at the fat rolling. Then he summons help and they get really mad. Finally, he brags about the kill and they just lose their shit.

Bragging about how easy it was to beat Havel (When he just ran away from him) was also great and also got irrational people to be irrationally angry.

hamchan

It is funny though to see a community that was initially built on people helping each other out and sharing information turn into one that says "No, you're not allowed to get help and summon, you're only allowed to play this a certain way".

I hope Dan summons as much as possible now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It is funny though to see a community that was initially built on people helping each other out and sharing information turn into one that says "No, you're not allowed to get help and summon, you're only allowed to play this a certain way".

But he's not getting the proper experience! Just like Dan at worst devaluing his own personal brand by selling thrown together t-shirt designs, this somehow greatly affects my life and is entirely unacceptable.

Jebusman

Banned

My girlfriend is actually convinced that she can never summon other human players, only the NPCs, because she should be able to just "git gud" and do it herself. But she came to this conclusion herself, without having much interaction with the community at large.

I mean, I won't stop her (she's cleared DS1 and about 99% of DS2 this way), but it definitely makes it's way into people's minds somehow, with or without the community chiming in.

(Considering I beat DS1/DS2/Bloodborne with no summons I probably didn't help with that impression).

I mean, I won't stop her (she's cleared DS1 and about 99% of DS2 this way), but it definitely makes it's way into people's minds somehow, with or without the community chiming in.

Nothing wrong with that. A lot of people enjoy the thrill of fighting the bosses by themselves and would rather solo all of them than summon for help. I never summon for first playthroughs in a souls game either. The problem is when people try to force that ideal on other people that would rather summon and do want the help of another person.

kanuuna

I'm thinking of an Unprofessional Fridays where Jeff played this side-scrolling Helicopter game on an old ass platform, can't recall what exactly. Anyone remember this, or that game in particular?

Fireblend

Banned
Guys I need content. I even just subscribed to Idle Weekends and started listening to that to appease my need. I hope we get an early Bombcast today.

Frith

i think to be fair the reason to watch some one play is to watch them play.

the reason to be in a chat it to share your opinion

dans joke only works if he knows its annoying.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I need content. I even just subscribed to Idle Weekends and started listening to that to appease my need. I hope we get an early Bombcast today.
I've been watching some Game Informer stuff lately, never did before, and their videos have a suprisingly similar vibe to GB.

I have watched enough videos of people soloing Souls.

Dan sitting back and letting jobbers do the work for him is fun.

Aint no amount of summoning going to make Blighttown fun though. Fuck that place.

skynidas

Banned

"putting the ass in assassins creed"

YRDDs28.gif

i think to be fair the reason to watch some one play is to watch them play.

the reason to be in a chat it to share your opinion

dans joke only works if he knows its annoying.

Which makes it all the better if the people being annoyed aren't sure if they're deliberately being fucked with.

they are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom