• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
sooo, pso2 the animation is really bad

it's also barely connected to the game

i can't fathom why it exists

To push the game. Have any Vitas or PS4s shown up yet. I expect them to be major characters if the MC doesn't somehow get trapped in the game.

You guys are really militant about this LiS ending.

you're sounding like undertale fans

Please. Don't relate LiS fans with Homestuck fanboys.

Catvoca

Banned
Somehow being on reddit brings out the worst in some people.

To be honest, calling it a Brouhaha is overly dramatic, there was like 2 people posting negative stuff and 30 just laughing about it. When Dan sold the taco-bell shirt there was definitely some crazy drama though.

Catvoca

Banned
Should I even bother to ask why?

Some people thought it was exploitative of his fans, and thought it seemed like a lazy way for him to make a quick buck. A lot of these comments where constructive or at least just expressing disappointment but others of course where rather extreme and hatefilled. Then a big angry argument broke out with people defending him and others attacking him. It was embarrassing, the Giantbomb reddit is usually ok but lately it's been getting worse.

The worst part about that r/giantbomb thread was the people going after Dan's girlfriend who ended up having to delete her account. It was only one or maybe two people but just a real bad look for the community overall.

The worst part about that r/giantbomb thread was the people going after Dan's girlfriend who ended up having to delete her account. It was only one or maybe two people but just a real bad look for the community overall.

It's sad but I thought it was going to be a bad idea when I saw her interacting more with the subreddit. Dan just seems too polarizing most of the time, it was probably only a matter of time until people started being dicks.

demidar

Yeah, not like us cool folk who post gifs that are edited to look like Dan sharing hisself on random third parties and talk about gunpla and anime.

daveo42

Banned
Some people thought it was exploitative of his fans, and thought it seemed like a lazy way for him to make a quick buck. A lot of these comments where constructive or at least just expressing disappointment but others of course where rather extreme and hatefilled. Then a big angry argument broke out with people defending him and others attacking him. It was embarrassing, the Giantbomb reddit is usually ok but lately it's been getting worse.

Wow. Seems real odd for the community to get up in arms over a t-shirt, especially since no one was forcing you to watch Dan's streams or buy his ugly shirts.

Edit: And going after his girlfriend? Man, I fucking hate people sometimes.

Catvoca

Banned

Yeah, it's like everything on the internet, someone will complain about something then someone will take it way too far afterwards. And yeah it definitely makes the community look really bad, especially to the duders. I know they all ready have a very low opinion of reddit (and I don't blame them).
Although I did think it was a little strange that Dan and his girlfriend were so involved in the GB subreddit already. I'm not sure most fan groups need to interact with the person they are fans of. Edit: Obviously harassing his girlfriend was fucking ridiculous though.

giphy.gif

Myggen

Yeah, that whole thread on the subreddit was awful. The mods should've locked it before it got out of hand instead of trying to police it by deleting comments. It was clear early on that a couple of people were out for blood over nothing.

People will be assholes I guess.

Zaph

Yeah, that whole thread on the subreddit was awful. The mods should've locked it before it got out of hands instead of trying to police it by deleting comments. It was clear early on that a couple of people were out for blood over nothing.

People will be assholes I guess.

But he was selling bad tshirts! Wake up, if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

You'd think gb fans would be used to terrible merch by now. The mugs are nice though.

Myggen

I remember when that sub was barely active...

Not that long ago. It's still a good subreddit for the most part imo, but subreddits always get worse the bigger they are because of how easy it is to get a reddit account and the general userbase being awful. So you need to moderate the hell out of subreddits to try to keep that from happening. Hopefully the GB subreddit can do that.

Myggen

Also, making fun of the shirts is totally fine. That's kind of the point anyways. It's making it personal over nothing that's awful.

Catvoca

Banned
Not that long ago. It's still a good subreddit for the most part imo, but subreddits always get worse the bigger they are because of how easy it is to get a reddit account and the general userbase being awful. So you need to moderate the hell out of subreddits to try to keep that from happening. Hopefully the GB subreddit can do that.

You only think it's a good sub because they post your podcast highlights all the time #Collusion

But seriously, you're totally right about everything, it takes a lot of work for a subreddit to not get immediately terrible once it gains a few thousand subscribers. There is still some good big subs, but they are few and far between.

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. r/gb is one of the few reddit communities I still use regularly and the mod team seems to have a good mind for this (they apologized to Dan's girlfriend on Twitter) so I think they'll recognize what went wrong and right the ship.

Myggen

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. r/gb is one of the few reddit communities I still use regularly and the mod team seems to have a good mind for this (they apologized to Dan's girlfriend on Twitter) so I think they'll recognize what went wrong and right the ship.

Yeah, agreed.

daydream

Banned
unrelated really but that "korean girls blah" series put one up yesterday reading some of the jerky comments on the page and it made me sad. even though they reacted well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7OrEjEq-g

people are the worst

even though the flat butts thing was funny and accurate

my takeaway from those vids is that korean girls are pretty snappy at reacting

almost like they have a script or something

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
unrelated really but that "korean girls blah" series put one up yesterday reading some of the jerky comments on the page and it made me sad. even though they reacted well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7OrEjEq-g

people are the worst

even though the flat butts thing was funny and accurate

At some point the entire internet will only consist of "X reacts to Y" videos and nobody will know how to react to them.

killroy87

Finally played through Gone Home last night for the first time. It was very good at visual and inferred storytelling, probably some of the best I've seen. And design-wise, I thought it was genius in how it guides you with an invisible hand. The whole game could have crumbled if you could easily get lost and spend endless time searching for the next thing to pick up, but somehow, miraculously, I feel like I was just naturally doing everything correctly and in the right order. I don't know if that was just my own luck, but I have to give at least some credit to smart design.

As for the story itself, I thought it was alright. The payoff with some characters
(the daughter)
was better than others
(the parents)
, but I was always engaged and curious, even when I had pieced together a good 90% of it.

All in all a very good experience, and one of the better examples of videogame storytelling (if not always the best videogame story) I have seen.

hamchan

Some people in this thread didn't like Dan selling shirts too. I honestly see no problem with it. The man should be able to sell whatever shirt he wants and make money from it if people want to buy it.

Dan's biggest audience is probably comprised of people who think his activities outside GB are stupid and declared themselves done with his schtick (multiple times).

I'm delighting in the work he's currently doing with the Dark Soul's community.

omgkitty

Dan's biggest audience is probably comprised of people who think his activities outside GB are stupid and declared themselves done with his schtick (multiple times).

I'm delighting in the work he's currently doing with the Dark Soul's community.

Honestly if someone is annoyed by what he's doing outside the site, all you have to do is unfollow him on Twitter. If I don't like someone, I don't go out of my way to keep tabs on what they're doing at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom