• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not everyone wants to enter your world of incestuous mpreg fantasy.

0135_f5o3b.gif

what

I must be missing a reference

santeesioux

Some of the GB guys didn't even go to Ryan's wedding if I remember correctly. Honestly I think we see all of them as friends, but for some of them it seems to be more of a coworker type relationship.

The true shock will come years later when you find out they all hated each other's guts, like with Opie and Anthony.

omgkitty

that's the guy...JJ has a habit of casting him in everything he directs.

Yup. He was in the party scene in Mission: Impossible III. In Star Trek (2009) he was the voice of young Kirk's uncle/step-father (can't remember what the role was- a deleted scene delved further). In Super 8 his voice could be heard from a just off-screen TV where he is clearly playing a character on some 70's sitcom. In Star Wars he plays Resistance pilot Snap Wexley (or as some jokingly say, "The New Porkins"). The only J.J. Abrams movie he did not appear in was Star Trek Into Darkness. He was also the doomed pilot from the Lost premiere. Helps when your childhood friend becomes a big time director/mega-producer.

Not really.

If you are paying for premium as a yearly fee I could see how the dips in premium content could be a little annoying but I pay monthly so what the hell, I know which months there are less premium content than others and I just duck out every now and then.

Usually you don't miss anything exciting in December or around E3 that you can't catch up on in pretty quick order when you re-sub.

January can be a wash out too, as seen this month.

There's always UPF but it's not consistent enough to be a deciding factor and the Bombcast is better with ads.

robotrock

Banned
I'm all aboard The Witness hype train. This interview with Blow probably got me more hyped then any footage I've seen though, he's a fascinating fellow and what's he's attempting to do with his games is undeniably interesting. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/the-most-dangerous-gamer/308928/

You don’t ask Jon to hang out, because he’ll just say ‘Why?’”
I turned to Blow at the next desk and asked if I was missing some clue for a specific puzzle. He fixed me with a stare that could hammer a nail into a wall. “The clue is, you’re doing it wrong,”

This interview is incredible.

Catvoca

Banned
This interview is incredible.
I know right? It made me so much more hyped for the game, and made me way more interested in Jonathon Blow. It even made me appreciate Braid more, the authors interpretation is great.

One night in his apartment, with the lights of San Francisco twinkling for miles outside his windows, I warned Blow that I was about to do something that might aggravate him: I was going to tell him what I thought Braid was about, and he could do with that whatever he wanted.

“Okay,” he replied with a half smirk, leaning back in his chair.

“So obviously there’s the theme of the creation of the atomic bomb,” I began.

“I think you can make a very strong case that that is an unambiguous reference,” he replied, which I interpreted as the Blovian equivalent of Yes.

“But I think what has frustrated you about people’s interpretations of Braid is that the atom bomb itself is a metaphor for a certain kind of knowledge,” I continued. “You’ve been chasing some deep form of understanding all your life, and what I think you’ve found is that questing after that knowledge brings alienation with it. The further you’ve gone down that road, the further it’s taken you from other people. So the knowledge is ultimately destructive to your life, just like the atom bomb was—it’s a kind of truth that has a cataclysmic impact. You thought chasing that knowledge would make you happy, but like Tim, part of you eventually wished you could turn back time and do things over again.”

Blow remained silent.

“Does that make sense?,” I asked.

“Yep, yep.”

“So?”

He smiled.

“Well, I would say that I would not be frustrated at all with that interpretation.”

StoveOven

Banned
I know right? It made me so much more hyped for the game, and made me way more interested in Jonathon Blow. It even made me appreciate Braid more, the authors interpretation is great.

Yeah, I got around to finishing it and I do think it's a great read. I've always been fascinated by Jonathan Blow, and I'm super excited for The Witness to come out. It will be one of the few games where the creator of will be constantly in my mind I as I play it.

Frith

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all aboard The Witness hype train. This interview with Blow probably got me more hyped then any footage I've seen though, he's a fascinating fellow and what's he's attempting to do with his games is undeniably interesting. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/the-most-dangerous-gamer/308928/

Wow. Thanks for that. Great read even if it made me somewhat hate the author. I never really cared much about Blow himself but this makes him look like an interesting guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom