• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, I would definitely say I loved that game despite the art style, not because of it. Also I muted the music, which is blasphemy for a lot of players.

I've got a little more than 300 hours in Isaac across both games, most of it with the music muted. But that's mostly because Isaac is my go-to podcast game.

That game seems incredibly unappealing from everything I've seen of it. It's like Zelda but needlessly cryptic with a disgusting art style.

It's easy to fall into a hole with Rogue Legacy for a while. Simple, easy fun, though the random nature of the levels really sucks all the fun out of it after a while. At least in my case.

That said, how can you hate the art style?
roguelegacy_knight_animations.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue Legacy was kind of pretty good, but Binding of Isaac was great and Spelunky is just the best game ever so the fact that Rogue Legacy seemed to catch on most was kind of confusing.
Do you mean at GB? Isaac sold millions of copies on PC. Not sure about Spelunky, but it did really well, too.

Rogue Legacy was kind of pretty good, but Binding of Isaac was great and Spelunky is just the best game ever so the fact that Rogue Legacy seemed to catch on most was kind of confusing.
I couldn't get into Spelunky, although I understand its popularity far more than Rogue Legacy.
What did you enjoy about it?

The ability stacking, period. There are soooo many items, and soooo many combinations thereof, and they have the craziest and often unintentional results. By the time you get near the bottom levels you are just some ridiculous amalgam of support items and tear modifications and it's different every time.

I've got a little more than 300 hours in Isaac across both games, most of it with the music muted. But that's mostly because Isaac is my go-to podcast game.

Same!

It's easy to fall into a hole with Rogue Legacy for a while. Simple, easy fun, though the random nature of the levels really sucks all the fun out of it after a while. At least in my case.

That said, how can you hate the art style?
roguelegacy_knight_animations.gif

I'm talking about Binding of Isaac. Rogue Legacy has a nice art style, which is one of the main reasons I was interested in it. Plus I'm a sucker for Metroidvanias.

Watching this makes me want to play more Downwell SO BAD. That game is addictive as hell.

I liked Rogue Legacy overall but the upgrade system was too incremental for my taste. "Congrats on upgrade #1 of 75 for your crit chance!"

And I, too, have poured hundreds of hours into BoI. 188 across both versions.

One Way Heroics is the One True Roguelikelike after FTL.

Believe.
I'm talking about Binding of Isaac. Rogue Legacy has a nice art style, which is one of the main reasons I was interested in it. Plus I'm a sucker for Metroidvanias.

...Oh. Welp.

I never could get into BoI either. Art style and the lack of tooltips really killed it for me.

justjim89

When Mary gets into a game, it seems like she really gets into the nuts and bolts of it. I remember how deep she got into Evolve, to the point where it sounded like she was demoing the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rogue Legacy is garbage. Just cheat engine yourself a bunch of gold, upgrade your dude, and beat it in 20 minutes. The grind that game requires is just awful.

The thing about the Rogue Legacy upgrades though is that they were consistent, so it was less baffling.

I love BoI as well though.

I never really liked Spelunky that much.

Jintor

I liked Rogue Legacy overall but the upgrade system was too incremental for my taste. "Congrats on upgrade #1 of 75 for your crit chance!"

yeah my main problem with it.

it wasn't a true roguelike either but like man i didn't care, i've got plenty of 'true roguelikes' or roughlites or whatever they're called now

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Do you mean at GB? Isaac sold millions of copies on PC. Not sure about Spelunky, but it did really well, too.

More just widespread attention, there are hugely devoted fanbases for Spelunky and Isaac online and on Youtube/Twitch, but it seemed like the bigger (if fleeting) discussion went to Rogue Legacy. Even on GAF, Rogue Legacy was like #2 on the game of the year voting here.

Rogue Legacy has sttyyyylllee that neither Spelunky nor BoI could touch.
Rogue Legacy is garbage. Just cheat engine yourself a bunch of gold, upgrade your dude, and beat it in 20 minutes. The grind that game requires is just awful.

That's one way to complete video games, I guess. But then, where's the fun in playing them?
The appeal of Isaac is definitely in the item combos, especially in Afterbirth. There's just something so satisfying about being OP in that game.

It's like Risk of Rain, with them stacking, right? RoR is amazing--gets absolutely insane at the end.

It's like Risk of Rain, with them stacking, right? RoR is amazing--gets absolutely insane at the end.

Fuck yeah, love that game. I haven't revisited since they added artifacts but I just loved everything about that game's style and cryptic approach to lore and story, especially how they work the concept of the upgrades and mutations into the ending text (with your dude essentially leaving the planet as an unrecognizable monster).

I've never beaten RoR. That end boss is a true threat and I can only ever get their with the Enforcer's turtle power... which is too low in mobility to survive with what I had.
This is worse than the Doom/Aliens thing. That game looks so cheap...

Spelunky looks like... I dunno. It's just sorta there. And BoI literally tries to look like shit, and succeeds.

Meanwhile RL has that run animation. (Yes it's the basis for everything good about the art style.)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BOI is great, save the fact that never know what the upgrades do. It's either experiment and remember the 300 or so upgrades or look at a faq.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
man, Mary just casually destroying this fucking game. I can barely get to world 3

Floaty makes it significantly easier to keep the combo up. I play with the normal style because floaty felt just a bit too slow but my first try with that mode was the furthest I'd gotten by like three levels at that point. I still didn't make it nearly this far though.

BOI is great, save the fact that never know what the upgrades do. It's either experiment and remember the 300 or so upgrades or look at a faq.

There are a few too many items that are just objectively bad now, especially for new players. It used to be easier to recommend just picking up everything and trying it out but with the amount of items that can fuck up your day in the current game I bet it'd be frustrating as hell to just start out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom