• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmmmmm. I was messing around doing that last night, but it
seemed too imprecise to be the solution.

Also:
I feel like discovering that "mechanic" was supposed to be more impactful. Instead when the game started I was like "I'll bet I can activate these puzzles from far away. Yep."

I think XCOM 2 will have a ton of stuff for fans of the series but if you were never a fan of the reboot I doubt there will be much in the way of changing your mind. Aside from the overworld, which seems a bit more open/non-linear, the gameplay looks very similar with tweaked enemies/abilities for your dudes

oh yeah, this is definitely aimed at established fans; no doubt a large reason behind making it PC only. it probably wasn't too hard for them to take a look at the sales and stats of their steam customers and know exactly what their audience would be, and how much they could spend making it.

I've loved the games for 20 years, I'll always take more (of the good entries)

omgkitty

I have a theory about the Witness puzzle I was stumped on! Feel free to let me know if I'm on the wrong track here:

Is it a perspective thing? Like, I have to position myself in such a way that the column in the background lines up or something?

I'm just going to tell you the solution in case you decide to look:
You are correct in that it is perspective and you need to use the rocks like you did on the previous few puzzles, but you need to use the rocks to the right of the ones directly in front of you.

jaina

I guess SMB, SMB 3 and SMW count as Old Games. So Jeff can switch as soon as the Maker servers are done maintaining.

Actually, I wonder whether Brad will join the OGS. He might have had something else planned when they decided on the SMM stream.

taco-flavored doritos always go away for just long enough for me to forget that they're not very good so they can trick me all over again

every time

I'm pretty sure I'll figure the puzzle out in like 30 seconds when I get home, but I will read your spoiler after that omgkitty!

Also, how stoked are you for a new LCD Soundsystem album??

omgkitty

I'm pretty sure I'll figure the puzzle out in like 30 seconds when I get home, but I will read your spoiler after that omgkitty!

Also, how stoked are you for a new LCD Soundsystem album??

At first I was confused about how to feel, but I got over that after James posted that open letter online. I'm now totally pumped and can't wait. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't put out anything bad, so I'm optimistic the streak will continue.

I kind of hate reunions/reboots but I don't really have any reason to think it won't be good. It helps when it's pretty much just one dude doing everything.

actually I don't think I really need more LCD Soundsystem, so if he takes it in a different direction it might be a good thing?

At first I was confused about how to feel, but I got over that after James posted that open letter online. I'm now totally pumped and can't wait. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't put out anything bad, so I'm optimistic the streak will continue.

That's kind of how I felt. I'm fully on board now.

actually I don't think I really need more LCD Soundsystem, so if he takes it in a different direction it might be a good thing?

I'd be cool with that too! I think if that's what he wanted to do, he'd just start a new group though.

omgkitty

I kind of hate reunions/reboots but I don't really have any reason to think it won't be good. It helps when it's pretty much just one dude doing everything.

I mean they kinda just took a natural break. It's only been 5 years. It's not like they stopped because they hated each other and their music sucked. They made a decision to just go and do their own things and figured it was a good time to stop. Of course they didn't need to make a huge deal of it being over - the final shows, the box set, the movie. I have the final show poster framed at home, so now that's a super weird thing to own, even though I love it. As long as the new music is good, I'm totally okay with whatever he wants to do.

DamnBoxes

On the subject of reunions/reboots...

How is uh.. that new X-Files? I'm scared to watch it. Just like I'm scared to watch that newer season of Arrested Development.

omgkitty

How is uh.. that new X-Files? I'm scared to watch it. Just like I'm scared to watch that newer season of Arrested Development.

If you haven't watched the Arrested Development reboot on Netflix, don't. Newest season is bad and you don't gain anything by having seen it.

tchocky

The first episode was really bad but the second was much better and reviews say that next weeks is great.

Wunder

oh yeah, this is definitely aimed at established fans; no doubt a large reason behind making it PC only. it probably wasn't too hard for them to take a look at the sales and stats of their steam customers and know exactly what their audience would be, and how much they could spend making it.

I've loved the games for 20 years, I'll always take more (of the good entries)

Yeah as someone who got into EU and just replayed EW as a lead-up to XCOM 2, I've gotten more into 'replaying' the game instead of just trying to get through it once and leaving it. I think I'll be much more open to failure/restarting in this one

Ahhh I'm only just now getting near the end of season 4. Per recommendation, I'm not going to bother with seasons 8 or 9, but I still have so much to go before I can watch the new ones!

First ep had some issues but it was ok. It seemed to be extra campy on purpose and that wasn't really done well. Second episode was much better, but still had me thinking it was just OK.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It being PC-exclusive is really what makes me hopeful for it. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I've seen.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think it wouldn't work on consoles. It looks nicer than XCOM, but it isn't crazy complex or reliant on mouse driven menus other than the fact that they didn't implement controller support.

Yeah as someone who got into EU and just replayed EW as a lead-up to XCOM 2, I've gotten more into 'replaying' the game instead of just trying to get through it once and leaving it. I think I'll be much more open to failure/restarting in this one

oh for sure, setting those games at a difficulty that is just outside of your skill and failing over and over is probably the most fun you can have in those games, for a lot of people anyway.

the good ones have a great loop to them where even when you fail, you've been playing for long enough that you don't feel like you wasted an effort, and new games aren't bogged down by too much early game crap. EU maybe ramped up just a little slow, but I think that's not going to be an issue here.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think it wouldn't work on consoles. It looks nicer than XCOM, but it isn't crazy complex or reliant on mouse driven menus other than the fact that they didn't implement controller support.

it's almost certainly a budget/manpower thing. they claim it's because of "their vision" and blah blah, but the PC version definitely outsold the console versions and they're a small team. I'd rather them just dump all their efforts into the one place it makes the most sense for.

Brashnir

The Witness is
The Tetris Effect made manifest

Not really a spoiler, but yet totally a spoiler. If you're more than a couple hours into the game, you'll know what I mean.

First episode was fun for me to laugh at because it gets absolutely insane with the conspiracy stuff. The pacing is kinda weird but it's nice to see them back. The second episode is basically just a really good monster of the week episode with some neat character building. I'm excited to see where it all goes!

Wunder

oh for sure, setting those games at a difficulty that is just outside of your skill and failing over and over is probably the most fun you can have in those games, for a lot of people anyway.

the good ones have a great loop to them where even when you fail, you've been playing for long enough that you don't feel like you wasted an effort, and new games aren't bogged down by too much early game crap. EU maybe ramped up just a little slow, but I think that's not going to be an issue here.

Yeah, it also has the really great effect on not wanting any of your dudes to die and you could even be in a bad spot by not losing a single mission but ending up with a ton of wounded and not being able to complete a difficult mission and it spiralling out of control from there.

It actually makes me think that Darkest Dungeon would be a really cool game to play after since it looks like it has a ton of persistent effects that you have to consider outside of just the main mission.

dang, XCOM 1 sold 2.3mil or so copies on steam, a couple hundred thou at best on console. even with regular, deep price cuts on steam, they had to make WAY more on that version.

e: yeah Darkest Dungeon definitely seems to have some of the same concepts, but the way they're implemented turns me off

LiK

dang, XCOM 1 sold 2.3mil or so copies on steam, a couple hundred thou at best on console. even with regular, deep price cuts on steam, they had to make WAY more on that version.

hopefully the sequel is less buggy. I preordered it cuz I loved the first one.

Persona 4 Ultimax is free on PS+ in Feb. I'll finally see what the fuss is all about

It's pretty good, the story sucks but I like the gameplay a whole lot, even a someone who's bad at fighting games.

really? I don't remember a single bug except for some really dumb camera stuff (roofs not going transparent when they should have). I got it at launch.

EU was kind of a mess at launch. You must have been pretty lucky to only hit a single bug, especially given that you normally say you seem to experience all sorts of bugs in other games.

LiK

really? I don't remember a single bug except for some really dumb camera stuff (roofs not going transparent when they should have). I got it at launch.

had a lot of weird stuff happen to me. I played during launch week. maybe they patched it up later. and yea, it was wonky as hell with those flying aliens as well.

If you want to know what the fuss about Persona 4 is, that is not the game to go to. It's a fine fighting game, but its story is poor.

naw, i just meant the fuss with the fighting games.

It's pretty good, the story sucks but I like the gameplay a whole lot, even a someone who's bad at fighting games.
story sucks, huh? I was considering buying the P4A Story DLC pack since it seemed like it would a fun Visual Novel + Fighter but i guess i wont bother if the stories suck

EU was kind of a mess at launch. You must have been pretty lucky to only hit a single bug, especially given that you normally say you seem to experience all sorts of bugs in other games.

maybe the universe saves up all the bugs I should be seeing in most games and just unloads them all in very specific places.

I also played it with kind of a weird setup (on a laptop) so my experience was probably not indicative of most peoples'.

Catvoca

Banned
naw, i just meant the fuss with the fighting games.

story sucks, huh? I was considering buying the P4A Story DLC pack since it seemed like it would a fun Visual Novel + Fighter but i guess i wont bother if the stories suck

Ahh, I picked you up wrong. You should at least look up Labrys story from the first arena game if you're planning in playing Ultimax, it's maybe the only well-written thing in that game. It's a genuinely sweet, moving little story that sets up a character who is pretty important in Ultimax. The rest of the story is pretty bad though, I wouldn't waste my time on it if I was you.

Ultimax's story is better than P4A but even then it's really weak. P4A's story also kind of doesn't matter because it's just a bunch of takes on the same story, you could just youtube the Labrys story and be fine.

Ultimax has some stuff that I enjoyed but it still suffers from making every single character into one note caricature's and the story feels like a lot of build up for nothing.

LiK

I bought the P4A story DLC when it was on sale. gonna check it out when I play P4U which I already bought last year. dammit.

daydream

Banned
mnIXNLr.png

the mario maker stream will happen eventually so this is a win-win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom