• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working from home for almost a week now (and haven't been able to leave before today) and time has already lost all meaning.

I was unemployed for about 5 months a number of years ago and that was rough on so many levels

Our street was plowed at about 1am last night. Woke me up. The machinery they brought in did a great job, but, it also completely wrecked some people's work earlier in the day.

My wife and I just decided we were home for the time being and the kids are home anyway because Loudoun is now off all week. Let the melt do some work. We're good on food and liquor, so, we'll be fine.

Scizzy

The Witness will be a fascinating test of how a January release affects a game's GOTY chances. If it releases two months ago, it's probably a lock to be in the GB top 4 and would have had a shot at #2 (assuming the others share the Brad/Jeff/Drew excitement). Eleven months from now though, who knows?

The Witness will be a fascinating test of how a January release affects a game's GOTY chances. If it releases two months ago, it's probably a lock to be in the GB top 4 and would have had a shot at #2 (assuming the others share the Brad/Jeff/Drew excitement). Eleven months from now though, who knows?

Grow Home was a January release and that made the top 10. Only thing that will affect their top 10 is how much they like the other games coming out this year (and there's a ton of them)

Mass effect 2 won GOTY and that was a Jan release.

justjim89

Oh Christ, I don't even wanna think about how obnoxious Brad will be about The Witness come GOTY time. Too early to worry about that.

Also, holy shit. Alex is really deep into Darkest Dungeon. My 10 hours feels like a drop in the bucket.

jaina

I can't get the BeastCast premium feed to work in PocketCasts for some reason!

I've been using https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/beastcast-premium/

With username and password replaced with my actual info, but no dice!

Anyone? Help? :'(

Edit: stupid gaf auto urling! Go away auto URL!

Edit2: I can get it to work with other premium podcasts...hmmmmmmm...

Edit3: I've tried this URL as well https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbeastcast/

Still nothing!

Edit4: just using http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/beastcast-premium/

Seems to work without the login info, but if I change it to 'https' then I get generic art. Weird!

https://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbeastcast/
Works for me in Chrome and Edge.
My Firefox profile/ addons seem to have issues with GB's https in general, even https://auth.giantbomb.com/logout/ fails to log me out. But a clean profile works.
So sadly no information to help you out :/ Nothing to see on the GB forums either.

TraBuch

Banned
Jeff mentioned he was listening to DJ Kay Slay talking about how the Earth is flat, I'm guessing it was on Mixlr, anyone know the day?

After playing the Witness I've been looking at other stuff due this year. It really seems like this year could be stronger than last year and I think last year is one of the better years for games.

Sulik2

I fully expect The Witness and X-COM to be 1/2 in this years GOTY. Its a front loaded year with barely anything announced for the fall that is not just going to be delayed to next year.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
there should be a moratorium on current year GOTY talks till like June. This is silly

GOTY should happen in June. Run it from Summer to Spring with the voting/process in the Summer dead period and you don't miss any games.

Is XCOM 2 looking that good? I haven't seen much, but what I saw looked like more of the same.

I'd be all for an improved XCOM that didn't exist only to be a dick (Long War, I'm looking at you in a very conflicted way right now), but I think it looks incredible. Feedback on the pre-release version that's out on Youtube and Twitch seems really positive from what I saw.

there should be a moratorium on current year GOTY talks till like June. This is silly

Either GBEast or GBWest (jokingly) mentioned GotY in one of the podcasts, right at the end, recently. It's a self-inflicted wound.
Is XCOM 2 looking that good? I haven't seen much, but what I saw looked like more of the same.
It's completely flipping the script and adding a bunch of wanted features that the first game was lacking. By all accounts, it will be quite something.

Dunno how GB will react to it, due to it being PC exclusive and lacking controller support.

Patryn

After playing the Witness I've been looking at other stuff due this year. It really seems like this year could be stronger than last year and I think last year is one of the better years for games.

I think it'll be a long time before we see Jeff connect to a game as much as he connected to Mario Maker.

For me, however, I suspect this year will be a better year than last year, but that's because I'm a weirdo who jumped off the MGS train around MGS2, doesn't like The Witcher, and absolutely adores Mass Effect.

Looks like it's building upon and polishing what EU set in place, if you're fine with that then it looks like you'll really enjoy it.

I think it'll be a long time before we see Jeff connect to a game as much as he connected to Mario Maker.

For me, however, I suspect this year will be a better year than last year, but that's because I'm a weirdo who jumped off the MGS train around MGS2, doesn't like The Witcher, and absolutely adores Mass Effect.
I'm not sure how much of it will really click with the bomb crew but it seems like there's a lot of stuff from series or developers that have put out stuff that they've really liked in the past.

Personally I think I'll like this year a lot more, especially with the number of RPGS.

I'd be all for an improved XCOM that didn't exist only to be a dick (Long War, I'm looking at you in a very conflicted way right now), but I think it looks incredible. Feedback on the pre-release version that's out on Youtube and Twitch seems really positive from what I saw.

It's completely flipping the script and adding a bunch of wanted features that the first game was lacking. By all accounts, it will be quite something.

Dunno how GB will react to it, due to it being PC exclusive and lacking controller support.

It being PC-exclusive is really what makes me hopeful for it. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I've seen.

kiguel182

Witness is a good game but I'm not enamored with it like with Brad and Jeff.

I'm enamored with it when I'm getting it.

But when I'm not sure if I should be getting something or if I should search the island then the spell kinda breaks for me.

It's an amazing game either way.

jaina

GOTY should happen in June. Run it from Summer to Spring with the voting/process in the Summer dead period and you don't miss any games
I'm sure you already know, but the whole point of the GB GOTY shenanigans is so they have content over the holidays.
Thinking about it now, we had drought in early December because of production and they would have the same work hours with the Summer GOTY. So there could still be a few videos for the last week of the year.

Edit: December is a dead period too. But with recording in early Dec, they are missing some Nov/Dec games. They can't record later in December because then it's already the holidays and they're not done with editing and stuff. January doesn't work for GOTY because they have a lot of budget and other meetings.

I've been peeking now and then at a crude MS Paint drawing I made on my work computer of a Witness puzzle that stumped me last night -- and I finally cracked it. This game infects your waking life.

yeah XCOM 2 kind of looks like more of the first but with some really neat twists and positive changes. I'm looking forward to it.

They pretty much had me from go once I heard the flip-flopped premise of XCOM as an underground resistance. I just finished my first playthrough with Enemy Within installed and I am absolutely ready for more XCOM.

Wunder

I think XCOM 2 will have a ton of stuff for fans of the series but if you were never a fan of the reboot I doubt there will be much in the way of changing your mind. Aside from the overworld, which seems a bit more open/non-linear, the gameplay looks very similar with tweaked enemies/abilities for your dudes

Quentyn

mnIXNLr.png

praise the content gods
I think XCOM 2 will have a ton of stuff for fans of the series but if you were never a fan of the reboot I doubt there will be much in the way of changing your mind. Aside from the overworld, which seems a bit more open/non-linear, the gameplay looks very similar with tweaked enemies/abilities for your dudes
I think it's easy to miss that the gameplay is now very proactive, rather than reactive. Ambushing the AI is a big part of how missions play out, and stuff like dynamic reinforcements/procedural levels mean that nothing can be anticipated. It makes decisiveness key in victory.

I imagine the resistance overworld stuff will further this focus, though I don't know much about it yet.

I have a theory about the Witness puzzle I was stumped on! Feel free to let me know if I'm on the wrong track here:

Is it a perspective thing? Like, I have to position myself in such a way that the column in the background lines up or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom