• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Nice, chilled stream. Glad they're gonna return to it (unless it furthers its Blade Runner inspirations and never does)

Fuck yeah Snatcher. I've been suggesting it for GBEast in their Choose Our Own Adventure threads but it was cool seeing the west coast duders take a look at it, too. That game is stubborn as hell in what it wants you to do but I remember really enjoying it.

KingKong

I feel like there are a few failures of design in The Witness (too many puzzles for each theme, too unclear where to go, the tutorials dont explain the mechanics well enough) for it to be an amazing puzzle game, but I'm still enjoying it.

It's definitely a case of not enough playtesting, I think

I feel like there are a few failures of design in The Witness (too many puzzles for each theme, too unclear where to go, the tutorials dont explain the mechanics well enough) for it to be an amazing puzzle game, but I'm still enjoying it.

It's definitely a case of not enough playtesting, I think
Well I feel like learning the mechanics IS the puzzle, so a lack of explanation is kind of the point.

It sounds silly to say but knowledge really is everything in that game.

KingKong

Well I feel like learning the mechanics IS the puzzle, so a lack of explanation is kind of the point.

It sounds silly to say but knowledge really is everything in that game.

I'm talking about when you have a set of tutorial panels that many people take the wrong idea from (just see the GAF thread and everywhere else online about the tetris puzzles for example) then that's just a poorly made tutorial, even if it's that way on purpose

I'm talking about when you have a set of tutorial panels that many people take the wrong idea from (just see the GAF thread and everywhere else online about the tetris puzzles for example) then that's just a poorly made tutorial, even if it's that way on purpose

I go into it thinking most people playing this are idiots though....

Fair enough, I haven't gotten to those panels yet (nor been looking at the GAF thread at all) so I'll see what happens when I get there.

My roommate walked in while I was trying to figure out the tutorial puzzles for
the colored dots
and thought I was a crazy person for saying things like
"No, you don't understand, the position of these flowers HAS to matter!"

Still haven't figured that one out yet.

TraBuch

Banned
Season two of Lucha Underground premieres on El Rey in 15 minutes if you've got an hour and are interested in seeing what good wrestling looks like.

Bowlie

Banned
It took me an entire day to finish the rock quarry area.

I'm kvk1, I'm an idiot playing The Witness.

I'm now stuck in the sand area building showed at the end of the ql.

The sun rays don't hit where I want them to.

But I made progress today, so it's all fiine.

kvk1

I'm now stuck in the sand area building showed at the end of the ql.

The sun rays don't hit where I want them to.

But I made progress today, so it's all fiine.

I made good progress in that area today actually.

The revelation in how to solve the panels there was a really, really, cool moment.

Guys... The Witness is REALLY good! Here's a picture of my couch after playing earlier today. (Doubt anything here could be considered spoilers, but I'll just play it safe and spoiler tag it)

75XoKo0.jpg

I'm actually
cutting out Tetris shaped pieces and holding them up to my TV
! Jeff was absolutely right when he said it kind of makes you feel like a crazy person, but a good kind of crazy. Been having a ton of fun and really hope GB do a "spoiler cast" or something where they can discuss their experiences with the game.

Bowlie

Banned
I made good progress in that area today actually.

The revelation in how to solve the panels there was a really, really, cool moment.

whoa whoa whoa. I still don't know the answer, but
I went back to the sundial near the water and now that I know about the sun rays there's definitely something going on there! Too bad I'm dumb to figure out exactly what.

omgkitty

Guys... The Witness is REALLY good! Here's a picture of my couch after playing earlier today. (Doubt anything here could be considered spoilers, but I'll just play it safe and spoiler tag it)

75XoKo0.jpg

I'm actually
cutting out Tetris shaped pieces and holding them up to my TV
! Jeff was absolutely right when he said it kind of makes you feel like a crazy person, but a good kind of crazy. Been having a ton of fun and really hope GB do a "spoiler cast" or something where they can discuss their experiences with the game.

THIS GAME HAS CATS?? AW SHIT

man you ever watch something and it just feels fucking satisfying?

totally OT, sorry, but
I don't believe that you're sorry. You shouldn't be because it was pretty great.

I've already got a stack of paper with drawings on them and bunch of poorly drawn puzzles on my phone that I tried to draw from memory to help me put stuff together.

Frith

haha i totally shouldn't have looked at that i'm here cause i was stuck on that one

oh look

oh

i was just about to get my scissors out

Here's my MS-Paint-at-work The Witness masterpiece (early tetris puzzle spoiler). I think I set a personal record for my getting home-to-computer time.

Personally fuck (The Witness)
those bird chirp puzzles where you have to tell what's high to low tone, especially once they add the little nubs you have to cover in order. High note=small nub low note=big nub? fuck me

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Guys.

Mention the witness when talking about witness spoilers.

This isn't The Witness OT so I can't automatically assume that what you're spoilering is the witness.

justjim89

Brad: I'm gonna make a blanket statement that any argument that you have to go outside of this game to find content for this game is utterly unconvincing.

Meanwhile, everyone is flipping out over how great The Witness is and having to use graph paper and shit, as if that's a point in its favor.

Brad: I'm gonna make a blanket statement that any argument that you have to go outside of this game to find content for this game is utterly unconvincing.

Meanwhile, everyone is flipping out over how great The Witness is and having to use graph paper and shit, as if that's a point in its favor.

During GotY you fight with whatever you have. Even if it's just a spork.

Bowlie

Banned

I don't think those two are exactly related. It would be more like heading to the OT because you can't find a way to solve a puzzle, and thus need to search for answers in order to keep having fun and avoid frustration.

While this is more like how Dan drew his SMM levels during their creation, so he could see the bigger picture better. It's a matter of you not being able to store that much information at the same time.

Hell, I used 4 pages of notes in Her Story, and I don't think that was a bad thing.

I had one page for that stupid fucking tap code that went nowhere

If I have one complaint about that game it's that.

goddamn. Maybe tap code is something common, but I had never heard of it before. I overthought about that waaay too hard.

wait,wait,wait,wait,wait,wait

is that John Cena himself rapping the first verse of his entrance song?

it's the first time i actually listened to it with the lyrics

tuxfool

Banned

There aren't many games that need this any more, even puzzle games. There are people that can visualize this stuff in their heads, but thankfully there are all sorts of tools people can employ to help solve puzzles. Using external tools doesn't even feel cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom